Steve Smith

Default $850 for Clausing 8530 mill + Clausing 2' lathe?

If you didn't already buy them, I expect they're gone. If he still has
them, grab 'em.

Steve

Ignoramus25521 wrote:

A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy. I would like to know how
much it weighs. The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Bob Engelhardt

Ignoramus25521 wrote:
... how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Get a rigger to do it. By the time you rent a truck or trailer and
maybe some lifting equipment, screw around trying to figure it out, risk
damaging the mill and/or your body, and spend most of a day, it just
isn't worth it. Especially with the deal you're getting. Just pay for
someone to do it. And you'll get the lathe moved along with it for
practically nothing extra.

Just my $.02,
Bob
Anthony

Ignoramus25521 wrote in news:d3ub73
:

A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy. I would like to know how
much it weighs. The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

For $850, I hope you jerked his arm off handing him the money. As for
getting it home, few possibilities: a) liftgate truck, b) U-haul low
trailer. In any regard you will need some machinery rollers, should be
able to rent those at the nearest equipment rental place for cheap.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Richard Ferguson

If by any chance the machine has a lifting eye, and you are not going
far, a good solution is an auto wrecker, just haul it on the hook. This
is especially attractive for top heavy machines, which might tip with
many of the alternatives.

Richard

Ignoramus25521 wrote:
A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy. I would like to know how
much it weighs. The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Richard J Kinch

Ignoramus25521 writes:

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

This is my tale of moving a Clausing 8540 (horizontal mill):

http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm

These things are very top-heavy, so it's best to lift them from above, not
below!
Abrasha

Ignoramus25521 wrote:
A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

Fair? That's a fantastic deal. Grab it, ... fast!

I have the 8520. Paid $1,600.00 for it, and that was a good deal as far as i
was concerned.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy.

It is not heavy at all.

I would like to know how
much it weighs.

A few hundred pounds.

The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Do you even know how lucky you are?

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

No, not difficult at all. The mill comes apart very easily in about 6 to 7
parts. It can then easily be transported in the back of a pick up. And
reassembled in the new shop.

Good luck.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Abrasha

Ignoramus25521 wrote:
[...]

PS: It would be nice if you would not use a bogus email address, so people can
respond to you in private.
Richard J Kinch

Abrasha writes:

Fair? That's a fantastic deal. Grab it, ... fast!

Perhaps, but only if the wear is light to moderate. From the photos it
looks like the wear might be heavy, which can put a machine into the grades
of "good for rough work only" or worse.