alexkuzn

Default What metal holds eraser in the pencil?

There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

Harold & Susan Vordos

"alexkuzn" wrote in message
om...
There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

I've seen both aluminum and brass used. Don't have a clue where you'd buy
it in that configuration, though. It's most likely something made
specifically for the purpose by the manufacturers of pencils. You might
check out what is available in the way of thin walled tubing.

Harold

Rileyesi

There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

Why? What is your application? There may be a better metal available that
someone could suggest if you give some specifics.
Ian Stirling

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"alexkuzn" wrote in message
om...
There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

I've seen both aluminum and brass used. Don't have a clue where you'd buy
it in that configuration, though. It's most likely something made
specifically for the purpose by the manufacturers of pencils. You might
check out what is available in the way of thin walled tubing.

Steel with a brass colour is also something I've seen often.
Joel Corwith

"alexkuzn" wrote in message
om...
There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?

Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

I've a bunch of pencils with the eraser worn down. Could let them go pretty
cheap.

Joel. phx

Bob May

Small diameter brass and aluminum tubing is available from places like K&S
as well as other suppliers. The K&S stuff is telescoping.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less.

Loren Coe

In article , Ian Stirling wrote:
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

from my recent experience w/a 3rd grade science lab, it is not magnetic,
and it is not aluminum unless it's also plated. this was interesting
to the kids that paid attention and the teacher, too.

w/o some lab work of my own, i wouldn't want to speculate futher.

--Loren

"alexkuzn" wrote in message
om...
There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

I've seen both aluminum and brass used. Don't have a clue where you'd buy
it in that configuration, though. It's most likely something made
specifically for the purpose by the manufacturers of pencils. You might
check out what is available in the way of thin walled tubing.

Steel with a brass colour is also something I've seen often.

Grant Erwin

ROTFLMAO!!

Joel Corwith wrote:

I've a bunch of pencils with the eraser worn down. Could let them go pretty
cheap.

Jeff Wisnia

Joel Corwith wrote:

"alexkuzn" wrote in message
om...
There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?

Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

I've a bunch of pencils with the eraser worn down. Could let them go pretty
cheap.

Joel. phx

Brings to mind:

"So what if it's wrong, that's what they put erasers on pencils for."

"Yes, but you're supposed to use up the lead before the rubber."

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can keep smiling when things go wrong, you've thought of someone to
place the blame on."

Don Foreman

Officemaxium, Scriptoium or Pentelium?

It isn't magnetic so it isn't plated steel. It's brighter than
aluminum or a zinc alloy would be. A file proves that it isn't
plated brass. I'd guess it's a soft stainless steel alloy that is
easily stamped and formed.

It isn't tubing, is clearly stamped out of thin flat stock. My
caliper sez it's about .006" thin.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 04:25:20 GMT, alexkuzn
wrote:

There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

Ken Sterling

There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

After reading some of the posts, maybe you could e-mail EberhardFaber
and see if they will fill in the information gaps.
Ken.
Jack Smith

wrote:

There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

Henry Petroski's classic book "Pencil" says that economy pencils will
have a ferrule of aluminum; better grades will use painted ones,
"historically of brass." During WW II when metal was in short supply,
plastic ferrules were substituted.

Jack Smith

Ken Sterling

Officemaxium, Scriptoium or Pentelium?

It isn't magnetic so it isn't plated steel. It's brighter than
aluminum or a zinc alloy would be. A file proves that it isn't
plated brass. I'd guess it's a soft stainless steel alloy that is
easily stamped and formed.

It isn't tubing, is clearly stamped out of thin flat stock. My
caliper sez it's about .006" thin.

I dunno DoN, I've looked at a couple of pencils here and I can't see
any seam where they would have been joined. Looks like tubing, and
then it is rolled and crimped (some with a design).
Ken.

Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:06:40 GMT, the renowned Ken Sterling wrote:

Officemaxium, Scriptoium or Pentelium?

It isn't magnetic so it isn't plated steel. It's brighter than
aluminum or a zinc alloy would be. A file proves that it isn't
plated brass. I'd guess it's a soft stainless steel alloy that is
easily stamped and formed.

It isn't tubing, is clearly stamped out of thin flat stock. My
caliper sez it's about .006" thin.

I dunno DoN, I've looked at a couple of pencils here and I can't see
any seam where they would have been joined. Looks like tubing, and
then it is rolled and crimped (some with a design).
Ken.

You could ask somebody such as these guys:

http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/14409007/pens.htm

I'm thinking some kind of deep-drawing process. Maybe they trim a bit
off after the drawing in a progressive die in order to make it into a
tube. Anyone know for sure?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
lane

"alexkuzn" wrote in message
om...
There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

OK, I was bored and did some research. Looks to me like the ferrules are
made out of a lot of different kinds of stuff. Even saw a reference to
plastic.

http://www.webcom.com/geos/writing.html
The ferrule is made from 70% recycled (post-consumer) aluminum

http://www.commonsensepress.com/correction/gray.htm
Most ferrules are made of aluminum or steel.

http://www.buyrecycled.com/give.html
copper ferrule

http://www.business-supply.com/dept/...g-pencils.html
Brown banded brass ferrule

http://www.pencilcraft.com/productinfo.html
polished copper ferrule

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...07215?v=glance
Aluminum ferrule

http://www.specprom.com/pencils/pencils2.html
brass ferrule

BTW I found that one particular pencil, the Eberhard Faber Blackwing 602,
(now out of production) is so valued that some are paying $20 for one when
they can find them. Read about it he
http://kennethhunt.com/archives/000511.html

Lane

DoN. Nichols

In article m,
Ken Sterling wrote:
Officemaxium, Scriptoium or Pentelium?

It isn't magnetic so it isn't plated steel. It's brighter than
aluminum or a zinc alloy would be. A file proves that it isn't
plated brass. I'd guess it's a soft stainless steel alloy that is
easily stamped and formed.

It isn't tubing, is clearly stamped out of thin flat stock. My
caliper sez it's about .006" thin.

I dunno DoN,

Wrong "Don" here. You were replying to "Don Foreman", not to
me. I'm the only one who uses that strange mix of upper and lower case
(which happens to make it into either my first name or my initials, if
you count the small 'o' as a fat hollow period. :-)

I've looked at a couple of pencils here and I can't see
any seam where they would have been joined. Looks like tubing, and
then it is rolled and crimped (some with a design).

It has been some time since I last used regular pencils, but I
seem to remember a seam with overlap where flat metal was rolled to get
the ridges, and then wrapped around the pencil body. (But, they may
well have changed since I last used them. I prefer ink FWIW.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ken Sterling

In article m,
Ken Sterling wrote:
[...]

Sorry 'bout that DoN. I'll try to be a little more careful with the
shift key in the future. G
Ken.

Loren Coe

In article m, Ken Sterling wrote:
Officemaxium, Scriptoium or Pentelium?

It isn't magnetic so it isn't plated steel. It's brighter than
aluminum or a zinc alloy would be. A file proves that it isn't

i agree unless the al is oversprayed to prevent corrosion.

plated brass. I'd guess it's a soft stainless steel alloy that is
easily stamped and formed.

that at least fits the properties i have seen this week (on current
product). --Loren

It isn't tubing, is clearly stamped out of thin flat stock. My
caliper sez it's about .006" thin.

I dunno DoN, I've looked at a couple of pencils here and I can't see
any seam where they would have been joined. Looks like tubing, and
then it is rolled and crimped (some with a design).
Ken.

Eastburn

I buy Dixon "TICONDEROGA" 1388/2/HB a.k.a. soft pencils by the box of
boxes.

They are my favorite type outside of some drafting ones.

It has a minor line where the two halves are joined.

I have used pencils that seemed to be made from sawdust or mush and
glue.
They sharpen funny - and even more so with a knife.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Karcher K235 pencil jet? Kooky45 UK diy 0 February 27th 04 06:23 PM
Men, Metal & Machines - NEW Model Engineering Expo (Updated 23 Aug 2003) Scott S. Logan Metalworking 0 October 4th 03 04:40 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM