lane

Default What metal holds eraser in the pencil?

"alexkuzn" wrote in message
om...
There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

OK, I was bored and did some research. Looks to me like the ferrules are
made out of a lot of different kinds of stuff. Even saw a reference to
plastic.

http://www.webcom.com/geos/writing.html
The ferrule is made from 70% recycled (post-consumer) aluminum

http://www.commonsensepress.com/correction/gray.htm
Most ferrules are made of aluminum or steel.

http://www.buyrecycled.com/give.html
copper ferrule

http://www.business-supply.com/dept/...g-pencils.html
Brown banded brass ferrule

http://www.pencilcraft.com/productinfo.html
polished copper ferrule

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...07215?v=glance
Aluminum ferrule

http://www.specprom.com/pencils/pencils2.html
brass ferrule

BTW I found that one particular pencil, the Eberhard Faber Blackwing 602,
(now out of production) is so valued that some are paying $20 for one when
they can find them. Read about it he
http://kennethhunt.com/archives/000511.html

Lane