Loren Coe

Default What metal holds eraser in the pencil?

In article , Ian Stirling wrote:
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

from my recent experience w/a 3rd grade science lab, it is not magnetic,
and it is not aluminum unless it's also plated. this was interesting
to the kids that paid attention and the teacher, too.

w/o some lab work of my own, i wouldn't want to speculate futher.

--Loren

"alexkuzn" wrote in message
om...
There is a short metal tube sleeve of soft metal that holds eraser in
the pencil.

Does anyone know what exactly that metal is?
Is this kind of tubing available anywhere?

I've seen both aluminum and brass used. Don't have a clue where you'd buy
it in that configuration, though. It's most likely something made
specifically for the purpose by the manufacturers of pencils. You might
check out what is available in the way of thin walled tubing.

Steel with a brass colour is also something I've seen often.