Spehro Pefhany

Default What metal holds eraser in the pencil?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:06:40 GMT, the renowned Ken Sterling wrote:

Officemaxium, Scriptoium or Pentelium?

It isn't magnetic so it isn't plated steel. It's brighter than
aluminum or a zinc alloy would be. A file proves that it isn't
plated brass. I'd guess it's a soft stainless steel alloy that is
easily stamped and formed.

It isn't tubing, is clearly stamped out of thin flat stock. My
caliper sez it's about .006" thin.

I dunno DoN, I've looked at a couple of pencils here and I can't see
any seam where they would have been joined. Looks like tubing, and
then it is rolled and crimped (some with a design).
Ken.

You could ask somebody such as these guys:

http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/14409007/pens.htm

I'm thinking some kind of deep-drawing process. Maybe they trim a bit
off after the drawing in a progressive die in order to make it into a
tube. Anyone know for sure?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany