Default home inspections

just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

Jerr

wrote in message
ups.com...
just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

nope - considering they are paying what it was appraised for.

Art

Even though no inspection is required by contract, some state laws require
sellers to reveal significant problems or provide a certification that they
are not doing so. You may want to check with a lawyer for requirements in
your state.

wrote in message
ups.com...
just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

offers on the homes that were subject to inspection were too low.

longshot

wrote in message
ups.com...
just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

Maybe the buyer is knowledgeable enough to do it himself. I didn't get one
on my last home purchase

lawyer said it's fine - just general questions like - any urea(sp)
blown in, buried furnace oil tanks etc.

Ralph Mowery

wrote in message
ups.com...
just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

HOuse inspections can cost several hundred dollars. Some may not want to
pay this much for a service , especially if they do not buy the house. I
just bought a house about a year ago. While I could look over the house and
determing a few minor defects, I would hate to miss something that would
cost a lot of money to repair. I did refuse the 'insurance' from the house
inspection. After looking over the insurance contract , it did not seem to
offer very much protection . I was at the inspection (asked and the
inspector said it was fine for me to be there). We only saw what I thought
we might see in a 20 year old house. This was good. It could have went the
other way and I could have missed something that would have cost thousands
that I had not allowed for in the price of the house.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Miller" wrote in message other offers - which
we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

The other buyers were more savvy than this one. Just curious why you
refused
the other offers... hope it wasn't because of the inspection contingency
clause...

In theory you care correct, but in practice, too many home inspectors are a
farce and miss major situations.

Travis Jordan

John Harlow wrote:
Then you're the one who might be making the mistake. Home sales
nowadays usually go far above the appraised value.

Citation, please?

nope - appraisal is very consistent with the current market, the age
and condition of the house and what similar homes were sold for in the
general area.

John Willis

On 4 Mar 2005 06:52:04 -0800, scribbled this
interesting note:

just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

Let's review some of the responses you've had:

naive
gift horse
you're the one who might be making the mistake
buyer is a fool
check with a lawyer

While each and every one of these may be true, it ain't necessarily
so. Granted we're far from normal in this case, but I've never bought
a house and felt the need to pay for the opinion of a home inspector.
In each and every case, I already knew the issues the house had and
was prepared to fix them. The buyer may be naive, you may indeed by
lucky or making a mistake, the buyer may be foolish, and it is always
good advice to seek legal counsel.

That being said, what is your lawyer's opinion? Are you comfortable
with the contract? Are you unduly exposed to problems if the sale goes
through and issues arise after the fact? It is always the case that
the buyer should beware. I don't know the buyer, but he or she might
be better educated than you about the state of your home just by doing
a walk through. And I'm not talking about minor issues like the
occasional plug with reversed polarity or burned out light bulbs or
drippy faucets (all of which I've seen reported on their reports!)

Remember, a home inspection can cause lots of problems, especially if
the inspector isn't all that good. A top-notch home inspection is a
worthwhile endeavor for a buyer who is clueless. A poor home
inspection can create problems for all parties involved, from the
seller to the buyer to the agent to the mortgage company to the title
company to people who've worked on the home in the past and have to go
back out and educate a so-called professional who should already be
educated!

Make your best guesstimate and hope for the best.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
John Harlow

Maybe the buyer is knowledgeable enough to do it himself. I didn't
get one on my last home purchase

No inspection clause means no recourse, whether you do it or hire someone
else to do it.

I didnt hire an inspector. I figure it's a crapshoot and mostly a
waste of time and money. I looked at the house enough myself.

Travis Jordan

John Harlow wrote:
No inspection clause means no recourse, whether you do it or hire
someone else to do it.

I don't know of any home inspection contract that permits recourse for
their errors. In fact, every one I've ever seen specifically protects
them in the event of errors or omissions.

Mike

Home inspections are not required by the lender. Pest inspections are.
It's up to the borrower and some new home owners either don't know they
can get one (the realtor isn't doing a great job) or they don't feel
like shelling out any more in fees. It's very possible that they have a
friend who is a contractor/engineer/inspector and had them look at the
house with them to point out any potential problems. Someone could make
a list of things to look for and you do the inspection yourself as long
as you can remain objective.

wrote:
just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up

with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject

inspection.

Doug Miller

In article , "John Harlow" wrote:
wrote:
nope - appraisal is very consistent with the current market, the age
and condition of the house and what similar homes were sold for in the
general area.

Ok, I made a mistake - I was thinking ASSESED value. Nevermind.

There is often NO relationship whatever between assessed value and actual
value.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , "Travis Jordan" wrote:
John Harlow wrote:
No inspection clause means no recourse, whether you do it or hire
someone else to do it.

I don't know of any home inspection contract that permits recourse for
their errors. In fact, every one I've ever seen specifically protects
them in the event of errors or omissions.

That wasn't the point; rather, no inspection clause means that even if you
find significant defects, you have no legal basis for cancelling the contract.

--
Regards,

Roger Shoaf

wrote in message
ups.com...
just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?

So the buyer didn't make his offer contingent on an inspection. This means
he is willing to take the risk of becoming the owner of your property
without the comfort of a second opinion. He may wish a fast close.

If you are happy with the other terms of his offer take it.

The inspection clause is often tossed in for a couple of reasons. First the
buyer is worried about getting stuck with a lemon, and seconly the buyer is
hoping a defect or two will be found to reopen the negotioations for price.

A buyer may elect to omit an inspection clause if he wants to lock in the
property. If the most simple offer is accepted, all cash no contingencies
the deal is done when the seller says yes and the buyer takes the money.
The buyer does not risk delaying the close of the deal and giving the seller
a reason to be tempted by other offers.
--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Travis Jordan

Doug Miller wrote:
no inspection clause means that even
if you
find significant defects, you have no legal basis for cancelling the
contract.

Um, well....if the owner knew of the significant defects and didn't
disclose them, then you would have recourse against the owner. Right?

xrongor

you're getting a hack job here. buncha armchair 'experts' giving you
advice. you're asking the wrong question anyway.

do yourself a favor. forget you started this thread, go down to your
lawyer, and have them review the contract line by line with you. if you see
something you dont understand, have them explain it to you. if you see
something you dont like, change it.

randy

wrote in message
ups.com...
just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

johnny

wrote
just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

An offer means nothing if the buyer can't get credit. Was this buyer
pre-approved for credit? Most serious buyers want to bring in their own
contractors/inspectors/friend, and are willing to pay for it. You may find
you are just wasting time with a deadbeat.

SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...
just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

I do not trust home inspectors. Every one that I have come in contact with
is a maroon in some respect. My current home is in the final stages of
selling. The inspector sited, no gfci in bathroom, home built in 1999 and
there are sticker that say gfci protected on each plate, gfci outlet is in
another bathroom. WTF do you want? I guess that he could not plug in his $20
tester and read it.
Another one was, tub drain slow, compared with what? It drains in less time
than it takes to fill.

I spend a couple of hours sighting the code sections that apply and send it
back.
The home I am buying I am doing the inspection myself. I do not need to
spend $400.00 for a maroon to tell me what the deficiencies are. Your buyers
may feel the same.

If there was a season on home inspectors, I would have my limit the first
day. As far as I am concerned it is just more government crap to invade our
lives.

Has your realtor handed you the form to fill out for the homeowners claims
you have had? That one is new this year.

Do you know you have to report a death in the home, BUT NOT if it is due to
AIDS....

Greg M

wrote in message
oups.com...
I didnt hire an inspector. I figure it's a crapshoot and mostly a
waste of time and money. I looked at the house enough myself.

Crapshoot?! P.T. Barnum had a saying about people like you. You're about to
invest in a piece property valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars and
your not willing to fork over a measly few hundred dollars to know just
exactly what your buying? It's one thing if it's a seller's market and you
have to make a very competitive bid or if you are very knowledgeable and can
spot the big ticket items. But if you opt to not do a home inspection
because of the cost, then you're probably not financially ready to own a
house yet.

Greg M

Duane Bozarth

Travis Jordan wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
no inspection clause means that even
if you
find significant defects, you have no legal basis for cancelling the
contract.

Um, well....if the owner knew of the significant defects and didn't
disclose them, then you would have recourse against the owner. Right?

I think that will depend on state law although probably a general answer
would be "yes" if the purchaser can prove willful failure to disclose
(in an environment where there were not a legal disclosure
rule)....whether anybody state is that far behind the curve I don't
know--even TN had a fairly comprehensive list when I left there a few
years ago...
longshot

then you would have recourse against the owner. Right?

I think that will depend on state law although probably a general answer
would be "yes" if the purchaser can prove willful failure to disclose
(in an environment where there were not a legal disclosure
rule)....whether anybody state is that far behind the curve I don't
know--even TN had a fairly comprehensive list when I left there a few
years ago...

Proving that a home owner knew something & did not disclose it would be
pretty impossible unless the guys is a moron & ran his mouth all over town
or got a bunch of estimates

Travis Jordan

longshot wrote:
Proving that a home owner knew something & did not disclose it would
be pretty impossible unless the guys is a moron & ran his mouth all
over town or got a bunch of estimates

Or painted over a ceiling where it was leaking, etc.

John Willis

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:40:24 GMT, "Greg M" scribbled
this interesting note:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I didnt hire an inspector. I figure it's a crapshoot and mostly a
waste of time and money. I looked at the house enough myself.

Crapshoot?! P.T. Barnum had a saying about people like you. You're about to
invest in a piece property valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars and
your not willing to fork over a measly few hundred dollars to know just
exactly what your buying? It's one thing if it's a seller's market and you
have to make a very competitive bid or if you are very knowledgeable and can
spot the big ticket items. But if you opt to not do a home inspection
because of the cost, then you're probably not financially ready to own a
house yet.

Greg M

It is just as much of a crapshoot to hire an inspector as all you are
getting is what that inspector's expert advice can offer, and that is
making a lot of assumptions about the actual state of expertise!:~)

SQLit wrote:

I do not trust home inspectors. Every one that I have come in

contact with
is a maroon in some respect. My current home is in the final stages

of
selling. The inspector sited, no gfci in bathroom, home built in 1999

and
there are sticker that say gfci protected on each plate, gfci outlet

is in
another bathroom. WTF do you want? I guess that he could not plug in

his $20
tester and read it.

He probably wanted a separate GFCI in each bathroom, each fed by its
own branch circuit and breaker. Daisy-chaining one bathroom to the
other would not fulfill that goal. I don't have the code cite handy,
but I believe that was code even before 1999.

Another one was, tub drain slow, compared with what? It drains in

less time
than it takes to fill.

Probably compared with what his experience tells him is a reasonable
time for a tub to empty if the drain pipe is pitched properly and free
of obstructions.

I spend a couple of hours sighting the code sections that apply and

send it
back.

What was your finding about the GFCI issue?

%mod%

John Willis

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:30:08 -0700, "SQLit"
[...]

Holding in all that stress can be bad for your health. Let all out and
tell us how you really feel about home inspectors!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Doug Miller

In article , John Willis wrote:

It is just as much of a crapshoot to hire an inspector as all you are
getting is what that inspector's expert advice can offer, and that is
making a lot of assumptions about the actual state of expertise!:~)

Yes and no... there are certification programs, and some states have licensing
requirements that hopefully ensure some minimal degree of competence. IMO you
can improve your odds by looking for someone who has the letters PE
(Professional Engineer) after his name in the phone book.

--
Regards,

Jerry G.

Either the buyer is not aware, or does not care, and they want the house.

At our location, if someone sells a home, they are responsible for any
defects, that has not been written in to the agreement. There is no excuse,
"I didn't know". Some of the sellers will have an authorized inspection done
at their own expense, to know the condition of their own home, and have the
results documented in to the description of sale. This way, the inspector
can be held liable to some degree, also depending on the type of defect.

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message
ups.com...
just had an offer on my house which is acceptable for what we were
asking. the house is about 40 years old and we have always kept up with
it - ie: if there was a problem we fixed it right away. the potential
buyer did not request an inspection - whats up with this?
other offers - which we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to
inspection.

Bob G.

The inspection clause is often tossed in for a couple of reasons. First the
buyer is worried about getting stuck with a lemon, and seconly the buyer is
hoping a defect or two will be found to reopen the negotioations for price.

Very true.... but I think that the second reason is the MAJOR
reason....

I have never sold my own home...BUT after selling my Dads home after
he pased away was an eye opener ....

I had to disclose all the know defects (Maryland Law) but since I had
not lived in the home for over 30 years I was pretty clueless .. Dad
was always the type to fix something the moment it appeared but age
may have slowed him down...

So I just declared that I had absolutely no knowlege of any defects...

Now I had a good number of Bottom Fisherman making offers real
fast.... (not unusual I understand in situations like this) and almost
everyone listed Major things wrong with the house..like one that said
the roof had FIVE layers of shingles on it...yea sure.. And another
who said the heating and A/C system was not up to par...(laughed at
this one becauise my Dad was a heating contractor and both my sons are
now in the same business... The Ssytem was in excellent shape and
everything was top of the line ...

Real pain... in the end there were NO issues from the Buyers AFTER
they had an inspection done...

Bob Griffiths

SJF

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Maybe the buyer is knowledgeable enough to do it himself. I didn't
get one on my last home purchase

No inspection clause means no recourse, whether you do it or hire someone
else to do it.

As I recall, there is legal recourse (not a very inviting prospect if you
need to use it) for major flaws that have been concealed by the seller. But
if he sold without knowledge of a flaw leading to a failure after sale he,
the seller, is generally in the clear.

I've sold two houses and bought three all without inspections, all before
the current craze for prepurchase inspections. It seems to me that, after
considering the age of the house, its apparent level of maintenance and the
neighborhood in which it is situated, a moderately knowledgeable buyer might
well choose to dispense with an inspection.

SJF