James Repetski

Default Behr Paint

What do you think of the Behr Paint Products. Consumer Reports listed it as
Best Buy in terms of quality.

Thanks

Alan Smithee

Totally agree. The Behr seems to have a good tooth for coating. I prefer to
use a roller which isn't too heavy as the Behr paint tends to starch up
thicker rollers faster.

"Stu Pittasso" wrote in message
I use Behr paint a lot and have had good luck with it. Steer clear from
Home Depot's red-headed, demon stepchild paint, Glidden. Worst crap I

ever
used.
Lori

"James Repetski" wrote in message
What do you think of the Behr Paint Products. Consumer Reports listed

it
as
Best Buy in terms of quality.

Thanks

m Ransley

for what? exterior or high quality trim finish . Be specific

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
James Repetski wrote:

What do you think of the Behr Paint Products. Consumer Reports listed it as
Best Buy in terms of quality.

"Best Buy" generally means that it is a good value, not that it is
necessarily a good product. Which was the actual highest-rated paint
and how much more did it cost?

Dimitri

Duane Bozarth

Stu Pittasso wrote:

I use Behr paint a lot and have had good luck with it. Steer clear from
Home Depot's red-headed, demon stepchild paint, Glidden. Worst crap I ever
used.

I've used a lot of Glidden over the years and found it quite
serviceable...don't know about the particular HD ones, however.

Two different managers at two different HDs steered me to the Glidden
oil-based primer and Behr top coat. I did some other checking w/ an
independent contractor here in town and he didn't have a different
opinion.

We put about 30 gal primer and 50 gal (so far) top coat on the barn.
Went on and covered well, looks good over the first of winter so far.
Top coat was best Behr high-gloss enamel. Hasn't been warm enough since
mid-November consistently enough to paint since.

Cost essentially equivalent to others although only actual paint
distributor in town is Sherwin-Williams which I have not been pleased
with from what was done by Dad before returned to the place so
reluctantly went to Garden and HD. Gave about 15% off list for a total
order of 120 gal (40 primer/80 finish). Made cost about 10% less than
S-W would have been.

First batch of 5-gal buckets of finish all had skimmed over on the top
that made straining for spraying a pita. Gave up after first couple
hours and drove all the way back to Garden to get replacement. Checked
all 16 buckets and they were fine. No explanation, date code on first
was actually earlier by a month or so than the substituted....just took
a whole day to do the exchange w/ travel time and all...

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure...
m Ransley

Comparing paint, is as, and more so to comparing to who Puts It On.
For an everyday job sure all is Ok . But U can make trim look sprayed on
It is what is in your wallet and house that answers that. There is
a reason Benjamin Moore sells 30 $ a gallon made to be sandedl primer
and 35 - 40 $ gal paint plus Penetrol and 80$ brushes. They work , but
need a pro to apply them

Sexytom976

I used to use Behr. I found it to be too liquidy (thin)

Since then I switched to Benj. Moore. More expensive, but
MUCH thicker.

What happens? I dont have to apply two coats for adequate coverage.
It sucks having to do the walls twice. If I try to do a heavy coat
with Behr, I end up having half of it dripping on the floor.
No fun.

Tom

James Repetski wrote:
What do you think of the Behr Paint Products. Consumer Reports

listed it as
Best Buy in terms of quality.

Thanks

Roger T.

"Best Buy" generally means that it is a good value, not that it is
necessarily a good product. Which was the actual highest-rated paint
and how much more did it cost?
Dimitri

CU did tests in 2004. For exterior paints, 3 year test, Glidden took 4 of
the top 6 paints. Top two were brands California (?), and Pratt and Lambert.
In a new test of a great many brands, first year results put Behr Premium
Plus at best quality, not best buy ( it came in first place, regardless of
price.)

For interior paints, also tested last year, Behr is pretty much a sweep. For
flat paints, Behr prem. plus rated no. 1, low lustre as well as flat
category, and Behr rated no. 2 in the semigloss interior category.

We've had good luck, inside and outside, with both benjamin moore, and behr,
but dont go for anything less than the premium plus quality level.

jeffc

"James Repetski" wrote in message
What do you think of the Behr Paint Products. Consumer Reports listed it

as
Best Buy in terms of quality.

As always on a.h.r, people talk in terms of brand rather than actual
product. Comments such as "Benjamine Moore is great" or "Sherwin Williams
sucks" are idiotic and worthless. This is equivalent to saying "Chevrolets
are great" or "Chevrolets suck" and it turns out one guy is talking about a
Chevette and the other is talking about a Corvette. Ridiculous. Most paint
companies make good paint and cheap paint. Any discussion without referring
to the actual product, not the brand, is a total waste of time.

Duane Bozarth

jeffc wrote:

"James Repetski" wrote in message
What do you think of the Behr Paint Products. Consumer Reports listed it

as
Best Buy in terms of quality.

As always on a.h.r, people talk in terms of brand rather than actual
product. Comments such as "Benjamine Moore is great" or "Sherwin Williams
sucks" are idiotic and worthless. This is equivalent to saying "Chevrolets
are great" or "Chevrolets suck" and it turns out one guy is talking about a
Chevette and the other is talking about a Corvette. Ridiculous. Most paint
companies make good paint and cheap paint. Any discussion without referring
to the actual product, not the brand, is a total waste of time.

To a certain extent, I'll agree....but I've been disappointed w/ S-W
"top quality" exterior paints to a far greater extent than other brands
over the last 5-6 years, however. We put the new "forever" warranty on
the church this last summer ($30/gal, though) but it's still far too
soon to tell how it will do...w/o the generous insurance settlement
after the major hailstorm I'm sure we wouldn't have had the resources
for that...don't know what we would have ended up w/ but doubt it would
have been a S-W product.

There's something going on w/ it to have as many installations as I'm
aware of all have significant problems far earlier than they should...

rosie readandpost

we've had great results with behr.

--
rosie

Jesus loves you because he is a bleeding heart liberal!

Bob Bowles

Atypical.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:50:00 GMT, " rosie readandpost"
wrote:

we've had great results with behr.

Liz

wrote:

we've had great results with behr.

Interesting topic, to me at least as we're having our LR, DR and kitchen
painted first week of March. The painter called yesterday to inquire about
colors and told me to go to check out the color chips at any store but Home
Depot because he does not like to use Behr or Glidden paints.

Liz

Ed

I have had my house painted 5 times. I swear by Behr products. I use it
inside and out.
The last time I had the house painted the contractor used Benjamin Moore. It
was good but didn't last nearly as long as the Behr. I used Behr Stain Plus
.. When I had the house painted last time I painted one small area with the
Behr while the rest was done with BM. The area I painted still looks new.
The BM is peeling and cracking in some areas on all sides of the house. You
know what I'll be doing this spring.

wrote:

we've had great results with behr.

Interesting topic, to me at least as we're having our LR, DR and kitchen
painted first week of March. The painter called yesterday to inquire
about colors and told me to go to check out the color chips at any store
but Home Depot because he does not like to use Behr or Glidden paints.

Liz

Squanklin

I've really had good luck and a good experience with Behr interior
paints - no experience with their exterior lines, however.

Matt

You know what I'll be doing this spring.

Being buried by your family, if there is a God.

jeffc

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

As always on a.h.r, people talk in terms of brand rather than actual
product. Comments such as "Benjamine Moore is great" or "Sherwin

Williams
sucks" are idiotic and worthless. This is equivalent to saying

"Chevrolets
are great" or "Chevrolets suck" and it turns out one guy is talking

about a
Chevette and the other is talking about a Corvette. Ridiculous. Most

paint
companies make good paint and cheap paint. Any discussion without

referring
to the actual product, not the brand, is a total waste of time.

To a certain extent, I'll agree....but I've been disappointed w/ S-W
"top quality" exterior paints to a far greater extent than other brands
over the last 5-6 years, however.

Well that's fine - even if you don't know what product "top quality" is,
at least you're talking about a specific paint, and not a company. Some
people will tell you for example that paint will not cover in 1 coat. Of
course Sherwin Williams Style Perfect will not, but Super Paint will.
Sherwin Williams will tell you the same thing.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/diy/...atingchart.asp
But some people buy Style Perfect and then run around telling everyone
that Sherwin Williams is cheap paint. There is no such thing as Sherwin
Williams paint. There is only SW Style Perfect paint, SW Super Paint,
etc.

jeffc

"Liz" wrote in message

Interesting topic, to me at least as we're having our LR, DR and kitchen
painted first week of March. The painter called yesterday to inquire

about
colors and told me to go to check out the color chips at any store but

Depot because he does not like to use Behr or Glidden paints.

Of course not. He has an account with some other company from whom he gets
a discount. Glidden is owned by ICI Dulux, by the way.

jeffc

"Ed" wrote in message
I have had my house painted 5 times. I swear by Behr products. I use it
inside and out.
The last time I had the house painted the contractor used Benjamin Moore.

There is no such thing as Benjamin Moore paint. That's a company, not a
paint.
What kind of BM paint didn't work well?

Duane Bozarth

jeffc wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

....but I've been disappointed w/ S-W
"top quality" exterior paints to a far greater extent than other brands
over the last 5-6 years, however.

Well that's fine - even if you don't know what product "top quality" is,
at least you're talking about a specific paint, and not a company. ...

Yes...I can't recall the paint name but it was the best exterior (at
least as claimed by the S-W dealer here) excepting the lifetime warranty
one...

This area had major hail storms in 6 of 8 years from '95/96 -- from
that and being involved w/ several nonprofits and so on, I've been
involved in the repair work over much of that. Much dissatisfaction
ensued...some was poor application/preparation related, sure, but much
more trouble seemed to come from the S-W usage than most of the
others...

We've now missed two years running...but May's not too far away so we'll
soon see if the good fortune continues...
Bob Bowles

Wife was selecting the color for familyroom walls and after 3 Qts of
SW tinted she thought she's save money buying Behr from HD tinted. A
pitiful showing of comparison as it would take 3-4 applications of the
Behr to achieve the same coverage/intensity of the SW swatches.
Finally convinced her!

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:31:48 -0500, "Liz"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

we've had great results with behr.

Interesting topic, to me at least as we're having our LR, DR and kitchen
painted first week of March. The painter called yesterday to inquire about
colors and told me to go to check out the color chips at any store but Home
Depot because he does not like to use Behr or Glidden paints.

Liz

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Camp Painting help Needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 14 February 19th 05 10:17 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM