Howie

Default OTR (over the range) microwave - vented inside or out?

We just bought a Kenmore OTR microwave, which can either be vented to the
outside (ceiling or wall) or vented inside (and use a charcoal filter). It
is a new install (no OTR present before)

Which is the better of the two?

1. I hear that with inside venting method, you don't have to worry about
wind blowing and making noise, nor about the hassle of running the vent to
the outside air (either wall or ceiling). Sounds a lot simpler

2. You would think that the outside method would be more effective in
removing smoke and water vapour from cooking. You would also not have to
worry about replacing the charcoal filter.

Comments / tips / suggestions / ideas / advice?

Howie

Edwin Pawlowski

"Howie" wrote in message
We just bought a Kenmore OTR microwave, which can either be vented to the
outside (ceiling or wall) or vented inside (and use a charcoal filter).
It
is a new install (no OTR present before)

Which is the better of the two?

1. I hear that with inside venting method, you don't have to worry about
wind blowing and making noise, nor about the hassle of running the vent to
the outside air (either wall or ceiling). Sounds a lot simpler

2. You would think that the outside method would be more effective in
removing smoke and water vapour from cooking. You would also not have to
worry about replacing the charcoal filter.

Comments / tips / suggestions / ideas / advice?

You already know the reasons. Now you have to make a decision. Outside it
always better for eliminating odors, excess heat. Depends on how much is
involved in venting outside.

toller

Vented in is completely useless. I really miss having an outside vent.

Howie

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

"Howie" wrote in message
[...]

To run it outside, I'll have to run the venting up into the about cabinet,
then into an inside an interior wall cavity about 24" (can I do this?) to
the ceiling. From there, can I run a flexible vinyl tubing to the roof? I
am about 35" from an exterior wall. Which is best? (roof or wall)...

Howie

Tom

"Howie" wrote in message
We just bought a Kenmore OTR microwave, which can either be vented to the
outside (ceiling or wall) or vented inside (and use a charcoal filter).
It
is a new install (no OTR present before)

Which is the better of the two?

1. I hear that with inside venting method, you don't have to worry about
wind blowing and making noise, nor about the hassle of running the vent to
the outside air (either wall or ceiling). Sounds a lot simpler

2. You would think that the outside method would be more effective in
removing smoke and water vapour from cooking. You would also not have to
worry about replacing the charcoal filter.

Comments / tips / suggestions / ideas / advice?

Howie

If you fry foods a lot or create a lot of smoke in cooking, you may prefer
the outside vent. But remember, the hood will be taking all of the
"conditioned, hot or cool" air out of the house and venting it outside.
After the oil embargo of the early '70s, you couldn't get a permit for gas
in new construction in some states (Wisconsin for one) if you vented your
hood outside. Too wasteful. In addition, the dampers on these things don't
stop much cold air from falling into the house from outside. We just
switched from a non vented hood to a non vented micro hood. We've been
happy not venting but we don't fry much. And it would have been easy for me
to vent right out the back through an outside wall.
Tom.

Grandpa Koca

"Howie" wrote in message

[...]

Don't EVER use flexible vinyl duct for a kitchen vent, it will be a mess
(not to mention that it probably won't be to code). Think of all those
nooks and crannies just waiting to catch the greasy moist hot air that
will be going up that tube.

Use solid metal duct all the way to the roof, square or round makes no
difference. IMHO, if the stove isn't on the outside wall, then go to the
roof and keep the turns as few as possible. To answer your question,
yeah, you can do what you think. You may need a duct man to custom make
some pieces, but they aren't that expensive.

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.
Tony Hwang

Howie wrote:
We just bought a Kenmore OTR microwave, which can either be vented to the
outside (ceiling or wall) or vented inside (and use a charcoal filter). It
is a new install (no OTR present before)

Which is the better of the two?

1. I hear that with inside venting method, you don't have to worry about
wind blowing and making noise, nor about the hassle of running the vent to
the outside air (either wall or ceiling). Sounds a lot simpler

2. You would think that the outside method would be more effective in
removing smoke and water vapour from cooking. You would also not have to
worry about replacing the charcoal filter.

Comments / tips / suggestions / ideas / advice?

Howie

Hi,
Venting outside is always better. No matter what, you wouldn't want to
circulate filtered(?) air in the kitchen. No range hood with vent now?
Tony
Greg O

"Howie" wrote in message

To run it outside, I'll have to run the venting up into the about cabinet,
then into an inside an interior wall cavity about 24" (can I do this?) to
the ceiling. From there, can I run a flexible vinyl tubing to the roof?

am about 35" from an exterior wall. Which is best? (roof or wall)...

Howie

To pass code in most areas hood venting needs to be done in metal pipe, no
way I would run it in vinyl flex duct!
Think range fire, with the fan running. You just helped fan the flames and
spread them into the attic!
If you can not vent it outside in metal duct, then don't bother!
Greg

George E. Cawthon

Howie wrote:
We just bought a Kenmore OTR microwave, which can either be vented to the
outside (ceiling or wall) or vented inside (and use a charcoal filter). It
is a new install (no OTR present before)

Which is the better of the two?

1. I hear that with inside venting method, you don't have to worry about
wind blowing and making noise, nor about the hassle of running the vent to
the outside air (either wall or ceiling). Sounds a lot simpler

2. You would think that the outside method would be more effective in
removing smoke and water vapour from cooking. You would also not have to
worry about replacing the charcoal filter.

Comments / tips / suggestions / ideas / advice?

Howie

All countertop microwaves obviously vent to the inside, so
figure it out. Outside venting could reduce operation noise
and would reduce smells, but I wouldn't think the hassel
of setting up for outside venting would be worth it.
George E. Cawthon

Tom wrote:
"Howie" wrote in message

[...]

Didn't know you fried stuff in a microwave and if you get
smoke in a microwave you are doing something wrong. Yeah I
know there are special dishes for bacon, but still..... I
think you must have missed the part about the microwave.

Otherwise I agree, the regular hood for the main range
should preferably be a vented.

Edwin Pawlowski

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

All countertop microwaves obviously vent to the inside, so figure it out.
Outside venting could reduce operation noise and would reduce smells, but
I wouldn't think the hassel of setting up for outside venting would be
worth it.

The vent is not for the microwave. It sits above the range and vents the
stovetop.

willshak

On 1/9/2005 10:44 PM US(ET), Howie took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"Howie" wrote in message

[...]

The best way to vent it is like you would vent a countertop microwave.
Sure, you will have to live with the popcorn smell for a couple of hours
longer, but you'll save all that unnecessary construction.

--
Bill
Tom

Tom wrote:
"Howie" wrote in message

[...]

The venting part of the micro hood is only for removing the smoke of foods
cooked on the stove top...I didn't miss the part about the microwave. As
the original poster later states, the stove has never been vented so unless
he's not been able to live with that, I don't see any reason to need an
outside vent, now.

SQLit

----cut----
To run it outside, I'll have to run the venting up into the about cabinet,
then into an inside an interior wall cavity about 24" (can I do this?) to
the ceiling. From there, can I run a flexible vinyl tubing to the roof?

am about 35" from an exterior wall. Which is best? (roof or wall)...

Howie

Mine vents up into the upper cabinet and then through the wall inside the
upper cabinet. Less than 24 inches total.

Check the directions for the maximum length of exhaust for you unit.

Flex is out, not approved for kitchen exhaust. Remember this is fairly low
pressure exhaust. Any obstructions/corrugations in the pipe will just
collect grease.

I once used a bathroom that had carbon filter. Yikes never worked.

I do not understand why anyone would want to recycle hot/greasy/humid air.
Look at the filter, do you really think that it is going to filter much? For
that matter the exhaust on mine does not really work except for the rear
burners. Makes more noise that anything else.

Howie

"SQLit" wrote in message
----cut----
[...]

does the filter do much good?

Howie

"Howie" wrote in message
[...]

Should I run the venting up into the upper cabinet, then directly into the
back wall, up the wall (cut a 3 x 10 slot in the top plate into the attic,
then connect it to round pipe up to the roof to a roof vent?

Sound like a good way to do this? Should I just go directly up through the
bottom of the upper cupboard, then through the top of the cabinet, then
through the ceiling? Will the pipe from the cabinet to the ceiling be
visible? (we are putting in crown moulding but not right to the ceiling)...
anyone? You would see the pipe wouldn't you?

Howie

Edwin Pawlowski

"Howie" wrote in message
As
the original poster later states, the stove has never been vented so

unless
he's not been able to live with that, I don't see any reason to need an
outside vent, now.

That's a good point, we have lived this long with no range hood at all.
Maybe a interior venting would be just fine... what do you guys think?

Not a very good point. I lived without sex for about 13 years, but I have no
intention of becoming celibate again.

I'd base my decision on how difficult it is to put the vent outside. Mine
was fairly easy so I did it. If it was major reconstruction, I'd forgo it.
There are time I'm really glad I have it but no, it is not used every day.

George E. Cawthon

Howie wrote:
"Howie" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
y.com...

"Howie" wrote in message

[...]

That is the way it is done in many houses when the cabinet
goes to the ceiling. No much room left in the cabinet
though. Climb up there and put a can where the pipe would
go to see if it would be obvious. How much room between
the cabinet top and the ceiling? With crown molding and the
pipe near the wall, it would likely not be too noticeable.
In any case you put some type of decorative wood around the
pipe.

SteveB

"Howie" wrote

That's a good point, we have lived this long with no range hood at all.
Maybe a interior venting would be just fine... what do you guys think?

I think that having no range hood at all lets a lot of steam and oil go all
over into the inside of the house, coating walls, ceilings, carpets,
furniture, etc.

I HAVE used a microwave for years without exterior venting, but don't cook
in it long enough to make smoke. (Except for the time I set the bag of
popcorn on fire.)

I don't like a microwave above a range because that is where all the steam
and smoke from the range goes, and it is a short time until the microwave is
gunky, even with an exterior vent.

Just MHO, YMMV

Steve

Edwin Pawlowski

"SteveB" wrote in message

I HAVE used a microwave for years without exterior venting, but don't cook
in it long enough to make smoke. (Except for the time I set the bag of
popcorn on fire.)

The venting is not for the microwave, it is for the range below it.

I don't like a microwave above a range because that is where all the steam
and smoke from the range goes, and it is a short time until the microwave
is gunky, even with an exterior vent.

Right, but not everyone has the counter space to spare so this is a way to
have the microwave and not lose 20" or counter space. Not my first choice
either, but it is the only practical choice in my house.