George E. Cawthon

Tom wrote:
"Howie" wrote in message

We just bought a Kenmore OTR microwave, which can either be vented to the
outside (ceiling or wall) or vented inside (and use a charcoal filter).
It
is a new install (no OTR present before)

Which is the better of the two?

1. I hear that with inside venting method, you don't have to worry about
wind blowing and making noise, nor about the hassle of running the vent to
the outside air (either wall or ceiling). Sounds a lot simpler

2. You would think that the outside method would be more effective in
removing smoke and water vapour from cooking. You would also not have to
worry about replacing the charcoal filter.

Comments / tips / suggestions / ideas / advice?

Howie

If you fry foods a lot or create a lot of smoke in cooking, you may prefer
the outside vent. But remember, the hood will be taking all of the
"conditioned, hot or cool" air out of the house and venting it outside.
After the oil embargo of the early '70s, you couldn't get a permit for gas
in new construction in some states (Wisconsin for one) if you vented your
hood outside. Too wasteful. In addition, the dampers on these things don't
stop much cold air from falling into the house from outside. We just
switched from a non vented hood to a non vented micro hood. We've been
happy not venting but we don't fry much. And it would have been easy for me
to vent right out the back through an outside wall.
Tom.

Didn't know you fried stuff in a microwave and if you get
smoke in a microwave you are doing something wrong. Yeah I
know there are special dishes for bacon, but still..... I
think you must have missed the part about the microwave.

Otherwise I agree, the regular hood for the main range
should preferably be a vented.