George E. Cawthon

Howie wrote:
"Howie" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
y.com...

"Howie" wrote in message

We just bought a Kenmore OTR microwave, which can either be vented to

the

outside (ceiling or wall) or vented inside (and use a charcoal

filter).

It
is a new install (no OTR present before)

Which is the better of the two?

1. I hear that with inside venting method, you don't have to worry

about

wind blowing and making noise, nor about the hassle of running the

vent

the outside air (either wall or ceiling). Sounds a lot simpler

2. You would think that the outside method would be more effective in
removing smoke and water vapour from cooking. You would also not have

worry about replacing the charcoal filter.

Comments / tips / suggestions / ideas / advice?

You already know the reasons. Now you have to make a decision. Outside

it

always better for eliminating odors, excess heat. Depends on how much

is

involved in venting outside.

To run it outside, I'll have to run the venting up into the about cabinet,
then into an inside an interior wall cavity about 24" (can I do this?) to
the ceiling. From there, can I run a flexible vinyl tubing to the roof?

am about 35" from an exterior wall. Which is best? (roof or wall)...

Howie

Should I run the venting up into the upper cabinet, then directly into the
back wall, up the wall (cut a 3 x 10 slot in the top plate into the attic,
then connect it to round pipe up to the roof to a roof vent?

Sound like a good way to do this? Should I just go directly up through the
bottom of the upper cupboard, then through the top of the cabinet, then
through the ceiling? Will the pipe from the cabinet to the ceiling be
visible? (we are putting in crown moulding but not right to the ceiling)...
anyone? You would see the pipe wouldn't you?

Howie

That is the way it is done in many houses when the cabinet
goes to the ceiling. No much room left in the cabinet
though. Climb up there and put a can where the pipe would
go to see if it would be obvious. How much room between
the cabinet top and the ceiling? With crown molding and the
pipe near the wall, it would likely not be too noticeable.
In any case you put some type of decorative wood around the
pipe.