Grandpa Koca

Howie wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

"Howie" wrote in message

We just bought a Kenmore OTR microwave, which can either be vented to

the

outside (ceiling or wall) or vented inside (and use a charcoal filter).
It
is a new install (no OTR present before)

Which is the better of the two?

1. I hear that with inside venting method, you don't have to worry

about

wind blowing and making noise, nor about the hassle of running the vent

the outside air (either wall or ceiling). Sounds a lot simpler

2. You would think that the outside method would be more effective in
removing smoke and water vapour from cooking. You would also not have

worry about replacing the charcoal filter.

Comments / tips / suggestions / ideas / advice?

You already know the reasons. Now you have to make a decision. Outside

it

always better for eliminating odors, excess heat. Depends on how much is
involved in venting outside.

To run it outside, I'll have to run the venting up into the about cabinet,
then into an inside an interior wall cavity about 24" (can I do this?) to
the ceiling. From there, can I run a flexible vinyl tubing to the roof? I
am about 35" from an exterior wall. Which is best? (roof or wall)...

Howie

Don't EVER use flexible vinyl duct for a kitchen vent, it will be a mess
(not to mention that it probably won't be to code). Think of all those
nooks and crannies just waiting to catch the greasy moist hot air that
will be going up that tube.

Use solid metal duct all the way to the roof, square or round makes no
difference. IMHO, if the stove isn't on the outside wall, then go to the
roof and keep the turns as few as possible. To answer your question,
yeah, you can do what you think. You may need a duct man to custom make
some pieces, but they aren't that expensive.

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.