Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does your car meet our standards

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 20:03:29 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:47:10 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:48:05 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 03/25/2021 06:42 PM, Xeno wrote:
On 24/3/21 12:41 am, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 9:31:56 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Leaving a street-facing garage door open is an invitation for a
democrat to steal your stuff.

I have to keep my garage door closed. If I do not, the birds will
try
to build a nest inside or crap all over everything.

Heh. I came home one day, pulled my car into the garage, left the
door
open (intending to come back a few minutes later), went into the
house
to change out of my good clothes, and came back out. In the
meantime,
a mallard female walked into the garage. When she noticed me, she
took flight, quacking like hell. I screamed. I don't know which one
of us
was more startled by the other.

Cindy Hamilton

Hmmm, my neighbour 2 doors up came home to a 10 foot python in the
garage. No, the snake wasn't startled by him.

What you do is fire four 12 gauge rounds into a dark garage to see what
crawls out:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/montana-m...students-death

Kaarma got 2 years for playing Cowboy and Muslims and 68 years for being
an asshole that discharges his weapon without having eyes on the target.

Hey Biden told him it was OK.

Nope, Joe never said that you should fire into the garage.

He said you could blindly fire into your back yard.

Not at the level you would hit anyone.

What? you think that shot goes into orbit?
If you are shooting buckshot, it can be deadly a mile away. It says so
right on the box.

That is worse.

Wrong, as always.

In the garage your shot is contained. In the
yard you are spraying the neighborhood.

More mindless bull**** with a shotgun.

Do you think pellets penetrate block walls?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 02:56:21 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 4:15:21 PM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 07:45:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 11:08:53 PM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 02:42:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 6:25:34 PM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 13:22:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Ah, well. My garage isn't attached to the house. It doesn't much matter which
way it faces.
Back in the early 90's I briefly rented a house with a detached garage. I
knew it wouldn't be an ideal situation, so I wasn't surprised when I didn't
like it. You get spoiled quickly when you can go to the garage without
going outside.

We've owned three houses. The second one had an attached garage.
I kind of miss it, but I don't miss the stink of cars inside the house.
Not the whole house, but the room adjacent to the garage.
It's way over a decade since we've parked an actual car in the garage,

My husband is adamant about parking our cars in the garage. Even
when we stored his table saw and radial arm saw in the garage, everything
had to be pushed against the wall when the day's work was done so we
could pull the cars in. Sure, there were periods of time (especially when
we were building the workshop and the driveway was full of lumber) that
we keep the cars out, but as a rule the cars were always in the garage at night.

I conjecture it's been way over a decade since you lived anywhere that gets
appreciable snow. It's very nice to not have to scrape frost, snow, and ice
off the car in the morning before going to work.

We left Kansas City in January 2013, so just a bit over 8 years ago. We did
a double stint there because I liked my job, but prior to that we lived in
Omaha and Great Falls, MT, both of which get snow. I guess we just got used
to parking on the driveway. The biggest problem I had was after a freezing
rain incident in KC. The driver's side of my truck was fully covered by
about an inch of ice, so there was no way to get that door open, but the
passenger side was still accessible. I think it took a couple of days, but
eventually the driver door worked again.
We have a 16x16 storage shed in the back yard, but that's bulgingly full of
my wife's planting supplies. That shed clearly violates the HOA rules for
height, but they approved it so it's all good.

We have a 20x20 garage, a 20x40 workshop, a 16x16 storage shed, and
a lean-to on the back of the garage that used to be a chicken coop and now
is used for storage. No HOA. We can park our utility trailers out front of
the shop if we want to, although I generally prefer to park them behind it.

I'd have a lot of use for a utility trailer but I don't want to store it
between jobs. I make do with a pickup.

Everybody's different. I wouldn't want to drive a pickup every day.

And I can pull the smaller utility trailer around the yard with our lawn
tractor. Very handy for spring cleanup of branches, moving around a
load of soil, getting the patio furniture out of the shed in the spring and
putting it back in the fall, etc.

Cindy Hamilton

I made a little trailer for that but it is not street legal. It does
fold flat and hangs on the garage wall tho. I have hauled stuff around
the neighborhood on it behind my golf cart but I would not take it out
on the main road.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2021 12:54 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Everybody's different. I wouldn't want to drive a pickup every day.

And I can pull the smaller utility trailer around the yard with our lawn
tractor. Very handy for spring cleanup of branches, moving around a
load of soil, getting the patio furniture out of the shed in the spring and
putting it back in the fall, etc.

Cindy Hamilton

I don't mind driving my little ranger as a daily driver. A super
mega-cab F350 Dually or a Ram 2500 /3500 4 door 8 foot box "lorry" -
not so much. Today's pickups are generally about the size a 3 ton
stake truck was back in the sixties.

Hey, don't knock those people with the F350. They NEED them. Once a
year they pick up a 50 pound bag of lawn fertilizer and haul it home.

Yes, I know some of you do really use them but I also know a lot of
pickup owners that never put more than two bags of groceries in them.
Same with the humungo SUVs
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 20:03:29 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:47:10 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...

On 24/3/21 12:41 am, wrote:
[...]

Nope, I know that firing a shotty into the air isnt spraying
the neighbourhood with anything that matters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 02:48:35 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:47:10 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..

On 24/3/21 12:41 am, wrote:
[...]

He said you could blindly fire into your back yard. That is worse. In
the garage your shot is contained. In the yard you are spraying the
neighborhood.

Not everyone has a neighborhood in their back yard. I have a forest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 14:53:39 -0500, Jim Joyce posted for all of us to digest...

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 02:48:35 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:47:10 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..

On 24/3/21 12:41 am, wrote:
[...]

Sherwood?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We had one. It was useless for grocery shopping, which is 90% of
what I do with my vehicle apart from hauling my butt to and from
the office.

I like my 2004 Toyota Highlander. It even provides cover when shopping
on a rainy day.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sweet.

We actually have 3 trailers. The smallest is a little plastic number from
John Deere. I use the medium one more often; it is 4x8 and is street
legal.

Once upon a time we had a trailer made from the back end of some
1950s-vintage pickup truck. We dubbed it "The World's Ugliest
Trailer", although I'm sure it was not.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The cap on the 7 foot box will haul a LOT of groceries!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 13:36:13 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:01:49 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:19:52 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 22 Mar 2021 06:14:57 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

The Montana Valley Apartments manager noted that the complex doesn?t
allow cars with rust, dents, flat tires, or bad paint to sit in front of
its complex. And while there?s certainly something to be said about
towing a car that?s been immobile for several weeks, tenants here are
arguing that the standards are entirely unfair because it doesn?t allow
them the time to get a repair?especially for people who are already
living paycheck to paycheck.

It is just the HOA mentality run amok.

If the people don't like the Apartment or HOA rules they should not be
in them. They can always move.

It's easy to move, isn't it? And doesn't cost any money.

For the two houses I have bought I always ask the real estate agent to
check to see if there are any rules or covents for the property other
than what the county has over all. Then put it in writing in the buying
contract.

I wonder what they call a 'dent'? Could it be a very small one such as
many cars have where some one parked next to them opens a door and puts
a small dent in it ?

Who knows? And if I understood the story, they only gave them a couple
days to fix their cars!

I think a court would throw out the whole rule, but normally for an
injunction you need a lawyer. I did it once myself and it took a lotttt
of time, and once it got started, I didn't know what to do for the next
step. I still forced new HOA elections, but it was not enough.

I believe the law in Maryland requires every group of houses, or condo
or co-op apartment built since 1970 or 80 to have an HOA. There was a
very good reason for the law but if one wants to avoid that he'd have to
living in a place more than 50 years old, or a home built individually.
Not too many of those around, and I think they are all very expensive.

I doubt the law requires an HOA

Why should you doubt it?

If you are sure, what is the statute number

but if you want the county to own your
roads the developer needs to cede over whatever property is required
for the right of way and build the roads up to the county standard
before they will take them.

True. But if repaving them cost $150,000, doing that would be about a
half million. I think the long term plan was to repave every 10 or 20
years and after the 4th repaving, the surface would be thick enough.
But I never was sure if thickness was all that mattered.

It takes a lot to make a county compliant road, not the least of which
is the amount of right of way you need to cede. The ROW in front of my
house is 66 feet wide and this is a small neighborhood at the end of a
dead end road. Then there are requirements on road bed construction,
drainage and such. The paving you see is a small part of the problem.

The only reasonable way to have private
roads is to have a legal entity such as an HOA to maintain them.

Sure, if you want private roads. No one here really wanted private
roads, but that's what was for sale. More than half of the original
owners moved in 5 or 10 years after they had children or got a better
job, so the cost of repaiving didn't affect them, although the dues had
been high enough to build up a substantial surplus, which we used a few
years later to pay for it.

There are houses in Maryland on public roads. My ex still lives in
ours. You should have bought one.

I bet the developers choose the HOA route.

No. It's required by law.

Cite?

I will stop right here. My wife built in 3 HOA communities, actually
bringing one out of the ground. (no roads at all when she took it from
land development) She also ran one as the CAM for 12 years.
I also have had lots of dealings with the director of public works at
the village that owns our roads. I am the primary contact between the
village and our association.

I know a lot about this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 05:48:47 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:47:10 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

om...

On 24/3/21 12:41 am, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, Those 00 buckshot pellets just disappear when you shoot them.
They don't land anywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I haul unbelievable amounts of stuff in my Prelude but the Chrysler
LeBaron was my real work horse. One day I was leaving Home Depot with
14 80# bags of concrete and 14 2x4x8s and a couple bags of small
stuff. I had bags of concrete anywhere they would fit. I got it all
inside and closed the trunk.
The Mexicans who watched me load all of that stuff fell out laughing
when I punched up "Low Rider" on the MP3 player and cranked it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 05:48:47 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 20:03:29 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

news:11oq5gtens2rhq6l61kl19uabnd725tpal@4ax. com...

wrote:
[...]

They don't kill people or even injure them.

In spades when you fire at the ground, stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

LOL.

I always admired the 1984 Honda Civic DX hatchback. You could slide
a 4x8 sheet of plywood into the back. Sure, it hung out a couple of feet,
but I've never seen another small car that was so useful.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My 2006 Hyundai Getz is the same I got a couple of 7x4 glass shower
screens completely inside. Everyone said it would never fit but it did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:06 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 04:06:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

04:06 in Australia? Is your loneliness not letting you sleep in again,
cretin? BG

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rodent Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/28/2021 05:46 AM, wrote:
I always admired the 1984 Honda Civic DX hatchback. You could slide
a 4x8 sheet of plywood into the back. Sure, it hung out a couple of feet,
but I've never seen another small car that was so useful.

It wasn't a small car but I traded a '80 Camaro in for a '82 Firebird
when they redesigned the car as a hatchback. It carried plywood and a
lot of other stuff. I've always favored hatchbacks which is unfortunate
since they aren't that popular. I don't think I could get a sheet of
plywood into my current Toyota hatch but it holds a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 11:47:01 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

It wasn't a small car but I traded a '80 Camaro in for a '82 Firebird
when they redesigned the car as a hatchback. It carried plywood and a
lot of other stuff. I've always favored hatchbacks which is unfortunate
since they aren't that popular. I don't think I could get a sheet of
plywood into my current Toyota hatch but it holds a lot.

Seriously, you could try to get a sheet of plywood into your mouth, senile
gossip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The last half dozen cars I have had, since the 71 Gremlin, had a fold
down back seat and you could stuff a 10' stick of PVC pipe in them and
close the hatch. The guy was looking at me funny when I did it to the
Prelude before I bought it. I hadn't planned on buying a car that day.
I was just at Home Depot but this thing was parked across the street
and I stopped by for a look.
I ended up driving it home, with my 10' stick of pipe. That was 2002.
I still have it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 11:47:01 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 03/28/2021 05:46 AM, wrote:
I always admired the 1984 Honda Civic DX hatchback. You could slide
a 4x8 sheet of plywood into the back. Sure, it hung out a couple of feet,
but I've never seen another small car that was so useful.

It wasn't a small car but I traded a '80 Camaro in for a '82 Firebird
when they redesigned the car as a hatchback. It carried plywood and a
lot of other stuff. I've always favored hatchbacks which is unfortunate
since they aren't that popular. I don't think I could get a sheet of
plywood into my current Toyota hatch but it holds a lot.

I had a Camaro and a Firebird. Not enough difference to talk about.
The Camaro was won in a Slurpee contest and the guy who won it hated
it. I got a heluva deal on a car with 100 miles on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 10:31:18 -0000, kelown wrote:

The Montana Valley Apartments manager noted that the complex doesn?t
allow cars with rust, dents, flat tires, or bad paint to sit in front of
its complex.

If the people don't like the Apartment or HOA rules they should not be
in them. They can always move.

That's quite an elitist take on apartment affordability.

For the two houses I have bought I always ask the real estate agent to
check to see if there are any rules or covents for the property other
than what the county has over all. Then put it in writing in the buying
contract.

This issue has nothing to do with buying a house.

I have a problem with your use of the word issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2021 4:56 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

The last half dozen cars I have had, since the 71 Gremlin, had a fold
down back seat and you could stuff a 10' stick of PVC pipe in them and
close the hatch. The guy was looking at me funny when I did it to the
Prelude before I bought it. I hadn't planned on buying a car that day.
I was just at Home Depot but this thing was parked across the street
and I stopped by for a look.
I ended up driving it home, with my 10' stick of pipe. That was 2002.
I still have it.

The pipe?

Sure, probably hung it up in the basement, maybe near the boiler or
water line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Maybe a little piece of it but PVC pipe all looks pretty much the same
so I couldn't say for sure.
I also still have the Honda.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 19:02:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/30/2021 4:56 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

The last half dozen cars I have had, since the 71 Gremlin, had a fold
down back seat and you could stuff a 10' stick of PVC pipe in them and
close the hatch. The guy was looking at me funny when I did it to the
Prelude before I bought it. I hadn't planned on buying a car that day.
I was just at Home Depot but this thing was parked across the street
and I stopped by for a look.
I ended up driving it home, with my 10' stick of pipe. That was 2002.
I still have it.

The pipe?

Sure, probably hung it up in the basement, maybe near the boiler or
water line.

Basement? I have not heard of this thing.

If you mean the pipe is installed somewhere, for sure but in 2002 it
was probably going in the kitchen somewhere. That was what I was doing
at the time. That would be a 2" drain and that was why I said I might
still have a short piece in my box of PVC stuff or in my pipe rack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 17:31:29 -0400, Tekkie©
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 17:24:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

On 3/31/2021 5:19 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 20:53:44 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

Basement? I have not heard of this thing.

Fly my wife and I down and I will introduce you. Of course you will have to
provide long term lodging and essentials. Second thought, I don't fly so send
the limo. Contact a moving company so I can bring my **** down and I will need
storage... Let me what else I require...

Bathing trunks. When you dig a basement here you can often swim in it.

Same up here. We used to pump basements in the fire co. We had 3 trash pumps
and one of dubious ability sitting in the dark corner. It's probably still
there with more cobwebs.

The only basement I ever had was the house I was in from age 9 to 18
and it had water problems. My sister had a basement, it was wet every
time it rained. When I had my house built I had them regrade the yard
so I had a walk out basement at grade where the door was. I was on the
top of a hill. I took the front yard down to the lower level floor
height for my garage.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/72house.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/1977%20house.jpg
No subterranean dwelling for me.

Down here it like Ed says. A basement is an indoor pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:16:00 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

The cellar in the house where I grew up only flooded in the spring when
the creek was high. You learned not to leave your toys and stuff on the
floor.

I bet that kind of harsh experiences made of you the tough senile
blabbermouth that you've become, eh, lowbrowwoman? LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:14:14 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Bathing trunks. When you dig a basement here you can often swim in it.

Global warming will fix that.

Sure? Senilely sure? Or did you only want to hear yourself talking again?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:40:07 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/1977%20house.jpg

The Gremlin in view!

--