Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does your car meet our standards

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 13:36:13 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:01:49 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:19:52 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 22 Mar 2021 06:14:57 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

The Montana Valley Apartments manager noted that the complex doesn?t
allow cars with rust, dents, flat tires, or bad paint to sit in front of
its complex. And while there?s certainly something to be said about
towing a car that?s been immobile for several weeks, tenants here are
arguing that the standards are entirely unfair because it doesn?t allow
them the time to get a repair?especially for people who are already
living paycheck to paycheck.

It is just the HOA mentality run amok.

If the people don't like the Apartment or HOA rules they should not be
in them. They can always move.

It's easy to move, isn't it? And doesn't cost any money.

For the two houses I have bought I always ask the real estate agent to
check to see if there are any rules or covents for the property other
than what the county has over all. Then put it in writing in the buying
contract.

I wonder what they call a 'dent'? Could it be a very small one such as
many cars have where some one parked next to them opens a door and puts
a small dent in it ?

Who knows? And if I understood the story, they only gave them a couple
days to fix their cars!

I think a court would throw out the whole rule, but normally for an
injunction you need a lawyer. I did it once myself and it took a lotttt
of time, and once it got started, I didn't know what to do for the next
step. I still forced new HOA elections, but it was not enough.

I believe the law in Maryland requires every group of houses, or condo
or co-op apartment built since 1970 or 80 to have an HOA. There was a
very good reason for the law but if one wants to avoid that he'd have to
living in a place more than 50 years old, or a home built individually.
Not too many of those around, and I think they are all very expensive.

I doubt the law requires an HOA

Why should you doubt it?

If you are sure, what is the statute number

but if you want the county to own your
roads the developer needs to cede over whatever property is required
for the right of way and build the roads up to the county standard
before they will take them.

True. But if repaving them cost $150,000, doing that would be about a
half million. I think the long term plan was to repave every 10 or 20
years and after the 4th repaving, the surface would be thick enough.
But I never was sure if thickness was all that mattered.

It takes a lot to make a county compliant road, not the least of which
is the amount of right of way you need to cede. The ROW in front of my
house is 66 feet wide and this is a small neighborhood at the end of a
dead end road. Then there are requirements on road bed construction,
drainage and such. The paving you see is a small part of the problem.

The only reasonable way to have private
roads is to have a legal entity such as an HOA to maintain them.

Sure, if you want private roads. No one here really wanted private
roads, but that's what was for sale. More than half of the original
owners moved in 5 or 10 years after they had children or got a better
job, so the cost of repaiving didn't affect them, although the dues had
been high enough to build up a substantial surplus, which we used a few
years later to pay for it.

There are houses in Maryland on public roads. My ex still lives in
ours. You should have bought one.

I bet the developers choose the HOA route.

No. It's required by law.

Cite?

I will stop right here. My wife built in 3 HOA communities, actually
bringing one out of the ground. (no roads at all when she took it from
land development) She also ran one as the CAM for 12 years.
I also have had lots of dealings with the director of public works at
the village that owns our roads. I am the primary contact between the
village and our association.

I know a lot about this.