Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Open end & box wrench set over 1 inch

I always wanted an open end & box wrench set over 1 inch but I couldn't
justify it based on its use in mostly outdoor plumbing where pipe wrenches
and spanners and adjustable wrenches almost always end up working.

I don't think I need metric because I'm in the US where the plumbing is not
metric yet, although all my cars are metric (but over an inch isn't all that
common on metric sizes in cars, is it?).

Still it would be nice to have a set of open-end/box wrenches over an inch.
Can an ok set be gotten for a good price (like thirty or so bucks maybe?).
They don't have to be fantastic quality. They just have to be good steel.

If you were to buy a set of larger wrenches, what sizes would you get?
And where?
Posted to alt.home.repair

alan writes:

I always wanted an open end & box wrench set over 1 inch but I
couldn't justify it based on its use in mostly outdoor plumbing where
pipe wrenches and spanners and adjustable wrenches almost always end
up working.

I don't think I need metric because I'm in the US where the plumbing
is not metric yet, although all my cars are metric (but over an inch
isn't all that common on metric sizes in cars, is it?).

Still it would be nice to have a set of open-end/box wrenches over an inch.
Can an ok set be gotten for a good price (like thirty or so bucks maybe?).
They don't have to be fantastic quality. They just have to be good steel.

If you were to buy a set of larger wrenches, what sizes would you get?
And where?

I'd buy larger sizes only when I need them.
About 50 years ago I needed a large socket to remove a Harley clutch.
Still have the socket, but haven't used it since. Sure glad I didn't
buy a set.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 6:04:40 PM UTC-6, alan wrote:
I always wanted an open end & box wrench set over 1 inch but I couldn't
justify it based on its use in mostly outdoor plumbing where pipe wrenches
and spanners and adjustable wrenches almost always end up working.

I don't think I need metric because I'm in the US where the plumbing is not
metric yet, although all my cars are metric (but over an inch isn't all that
common on metric sizes in cars, is it?).

Still it would be nice to have a set of open-end/box wrenches over an inch.
Can an ok set be gotten for a good price (like thirty or so bucks maybe?).
They don't have to be fantastic quality. They just have to be good steel.

If you were to buy a set of larger wrenches, what sizes would you get?
And where?

I'd probably look on Ebay for used combination wrenches. I used an
1 1/8" occasionally. Our construction crews used 1 5/16" sometimes.
That was on center pivot irrigation systems. Maybe buy a set from 3/8"
to 1". Then just walk around your place to look for the oversized nuts.
(insert bad joke here)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"alan" wrote in message
I always wanted an open end & box wrench set over 1 inch but I couldn't
justify it based on its use in mostly outdoor plumbing where pipe wrenches
and spanners and adjustable wrenches almost always end up working.

I don't think I need metric because I'm in the US where the plumbing is
not metric yet, although all my cars are metric (but over an inch isn't
all that common on metric sizes in cars, is it?).

Not common but it does happen with wheel hub nuts.
I had to buy one for my 66 VW Beetle.

Still it would be nice to have a set of open-end/box wrenches over an
inch.

Makes more sense to buy the ones you need with those bigger ones.

Can an ok set be gotten for a good price (like thirty or so bucks maybe?).
They don't have to be fantastic quality. They just have to be good steel.

And good plating that doesnt peel off.

If you were to buy a set of larger wrenches, what sizes would you get?

The ones that fit the nuts I have.

And where?

Wherever I can find good quality ones cheap.

I buy that stuff from aliexpress now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 4 Feb 2021 19:04:35 -0500, alan
wrote:

I always wanted an open end & box wrench set over 1 inch but I couldn't
justify it based on its use in mostly outdoor plumbing where pipe wrenches
and spanners and adjustable wrenches almost always end up working.

I don't think I need metric because I'm in the US where the plumbing is not
metric yet, although all my cars are metric (but over an inch isn't all that
common on metric sizes in cars, is it?).

Still it would be nice to have a set of open-end/box wrenches over an inch.
Can an ok set be gotten for a good price (like thirty or so bucks maybe?).
They don't have to be fantastic quality. They just have to be good steel.

If you were to buy a set of larger wrenches, what sizes would you get?
And where?

I wouldn't buy anything until I needed it. YOu're not going to be
stuck on the highway for lack of one.

I needed a large end wrench to replace a half-axle on my Toyota. I
don't remember what I bought or where, but harborfreights cheapest set
is $75. I thought I bought it there but I didn't pay anywhere near that
much 5 years ago, and at that price I would have asked a friend first,
and I didn't.

Homedepot's cheapest is only $40 - how about that - but I don't remember
what size I needed and what sizes I got.

I'll go check if you want, and check out what brand it is too,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 19:04:35 -0500, alan wrote:

I always wanted an open end & box wrench set over 1 inch but I couldn't
justify it based on its use in mostly outdoor plumbing where pipe wrenches
and spanners and adjustable wrenches almost always end up working.

I don't think I need metric because I'm in the US where the plumbing is not
metric yet, although all my cars are metric (but over an inch isn't all that
common on metric sizes in cars, is it?).

Still it would be nice to have a set of open-end/box wrenches over an inch.
Can an ok set be gotten for a good price (like thirty or so bucks maybe?).
They don't have to be fantastic quality. They just have to be good steel.

Harbor Freight Pittsburgh jumbo wrench set. About $60.

If you were to buy a set of larger wrenches, what sizes would you get?
And where?

I would only get what I need. Think I needed a 1 1/4" one time. Maybe I bought one, but I
doubt it. As somebody who has used a lot of wrenches, from tiny ignition wrenches to a 500
pound slugging wrench, I don't think you need any combo wrenches over 7/8" unless you do.
Sounds like you don't. For plumbing work, besides pipe wrenches, an 18" channel lock is
handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/04/2021 05:04 PM, alan wrote:
If you were to buy a set of larger wrenches, what sizes would you get?
And where?

I've only bought bigger wrenches as needed. For example I've got a 27mm
for an axle nut on one of the bikes. iirc I bought a CRaftsman at Sears
when that was still a thing. I have a lot of redundancy in metric and
SAE wrenches and sockets in the commonly used sizes but I've never felt
a need for wrenches I probably will never use.

I do have an 18" adjustable but I only use it for light stuff like the
caps on the Harley's fork tubes. I'm not a fan of adjustables. I have
bad memories of a piece of Spanish crap that turned itself into a speed
wrench*

* a wrench where the adjustable jaw has ripped a path through the worm
screw so it slides back and forth freely in one position of the worm. It
sort of works but I don't know if anyone ever manufactured anything like
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 6:04:40 PM UTC-6, alan wrote:
I always wanted an open end & box wrench set over 1 inch but I couldn't
justify it based on its use in mostly outdoor plumbing where pipe wrenches
and spanners and adjustable wrenches almost always end up working.

I don't think I need metric because I'm in the US where the plumbing is not
metric yet, although all my cars are metric (but over an inch isn't all that
common on metric sizes in cars, is it?).

Still it would be nice to have a set of open-end/box wrenches over an inch.
Can an ok set be gotten for a good price (like thirty or so bucks maybe?).
They don't have to be fantastic quality. They just have to be good steel.

If you were to buy a set of larger wrenches, what sizes would you get?
And where?

Someone mentioned channel locks. Those are handy. A chain vice
grip might be handy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 19:44:58 -0500, micky wrote:

I wouldn't buy anything until I needed it.

That's the thing.

For decades I've been saying the same thing.
Yet every time I want one, I don't have it because I didn't buy it.

I end up using adjustable wrenches, or channel locks, or pipe wrenches.
But I hate using those when there is a hex sided plumbing fixture.

YOu're not going to be
stuck on the highway for lack of one.

I don't think I'd ever put wrenches that large in the car emergency toolbox.
Mostly it's plumbing and often outdoor plumbing that uses larger sizes.

I used to teach wood shop where one rule I harped on was to never use the
wrong tool for the wrong job, such as a screwdriver as a chisel.

If I had a dollar for every time I saw a repairman incorrectly using pliers
when he should have used a wrench, or for using a screwdriver when he should
have used a nut driver, or for using a screwdriver as a pry bar, or for
using an adjustable wrench when he should have used a box wrench, I'd be
rich.

It's just wrong to use channel locks, pipe wrenches, and pliers when a
plumbing fixture has hex sides for a reason. It's like using a Phillips
screwdriver instead of an Allen Key. It works. But it's still wrong.

I needed a large end wrench to replace a half-axle on my Toyota.

Working on a car is completely different than working on plumbing in so many
ways that it's no comparison at all.

For one, the amount of room you have on a car is usually minimal, so you
often must use a wrench. Also if you slip and wreck the nuts or bolts, you
often can't easily get them out to replace them.

For another, a socket is almost always what you end up using (if you can).

It's not the same thing at all as basic home plumbing tools, where on a car,
you buy the tools you need period but for home plumbing, we get away with
using the wrong tools all the time.

I don't remember what I bought or where, but harborfreights cheapest set
is $75. I thought I bought it there but I didn't pay anywhere near that
much 5 years ago, and at that price I would have asked a friend first,
and I didn't.

I don't have a Harbor Freight near me but I'm willing to buy a set if they
have a good price and a good set of big wrenches that don't overlap too much
with mine. I have one inch and 1-1/8th inch open ended wrenches but no box
wrenches of that size.

I looked for that set https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches.html

They have this for about twice what I was hoping to pay
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...-pc-64802.html
Open and 12-point box box
1-1/16 inch
1-1/8 inch
1-3/16 inch
1-1/4 inch

That brings up the question of how many points is a good amount if you're
only going to have one box wrench of that size.

They also have these even bigger ones for the same price as above
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...-set-1965.html
2-1/8 inch
2-1/4 inch
2-3/8 inch
2-1/2 inch

What's the most common sizes for outdoor & indoor plumbing fixtures like big
brass ball valves on 3/4 inch galvanized pipe (I have a lot of those).

Homedepot's cheapest is only $40 - how about that - but I don't remember
what size I needed and what sizes I got.

I'll go check if you want, and check out what brand it is too,

I have a Home Depot only about five miles away where I checked a few days
ago and decided I'd go broke if I bought the wrenches one at a time.

Here is a 1-1/4 inch combination 12-point box & open end for $28 for example
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWREN...1735/313472168

At thirty dollars each, only one or two at most fit into my budget for a
set. I didn't see any sets of the most common sizes though.

I don't even know what the most common sizes are, but I would guess it
should be between 1 inch and 2 inches as the most common for plumbing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 4 Feb 2021 23:11:39 -0500, alan
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 19:44:58 -0500, micky wrote:

I wouldn't buy anything until I needed it.

You're a big boy, you know this, and I only said it so the others
wouldn't dump on me.

That's the thing.

For decades I've been saying the same thing.
Yet every time I want one, I don't have it because I didn't buy it.

Then you need them.

I end up using adjustable wrenches, or channel locks, or pipe wrenches.
But I hate using those when there is a hex sided plumbing fixture.

YOu're not going to be
stuck on the highway for lack of one.

I don't think I'd ever put wrenches that large in the car emergency toolbox.
Mostly it's plumbing and often outdoor plumbing that uses larger sizes.

I used to teach wood shop where one rule I harped on was to never use the
wrong tool for the wrong job, such as a screwdriver as a chisel.

Then you have to live up to your own words. Well. Maybe**

Did you wear a tie when you taught wood shop?

**I've noticed that no matter how many tools i have, I need every one,
and no matter how few tools I have, it seems to be enough (generally,
not all the time.)

If I had a dollar for every time I saw a repairman incorrectly using pliers
when he should have used a wrench, or for using a screwdriver when he should
have used a nut driver, or for using a screwdriver as a pry bar, or for
using an adjustable wrench when he should have used a box wrench, I'd be
rich.

It's just wrong to use channel locks, pipe wrenches, and pliers when a
plumbing fixture has hex sides for a reason. It's like using a Phillips
screwdriver instead of an Allen Key. It works. But it's still wrong.

I needed a large end wrench to replace a half-axle on my Toyota.

Working on a car is completely different than working on plumbing in so many
ways that it's no comparison at all.

Well, sorry. It's the best I've got.

[...]

With 6 point, you have much less chance of rounding off the head, but 12
is quicker to use if bolts are not on so very tight . Maybe initial
loosen with the end wrench and do most of the twisting with the box
wrench.

They also have these even bigger ones for the same price as above
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...-set-1965.html
2-1/8 inch
2-1/4 inch
2-3/8 inch
2-1/2 inch

What's the most common sizes for outdoor & indoor plumbing fixtures like big
brass ball valves on 3/4 inch galvanized pipe (I have a lot of those).

Homedepot's cheapest is only $40 - how about that - but I don't remember

This was a set of 4 or 5. The sizes weren't immediately obvious, nor do
I know what sizes I needed or you need.

what size I needed and what sizes I got.

I'll go check if you want, and check out what brand it is too,

I have a Home Depot only about five miles away where I checked a few days
ago and decided I'd go broke if I bought the wrenches one at a time.

They don't have everything in stock. Walmart too has lots of things
that are not in stock, and Amazon too though not as big a percentage.

Here is a 1-1/4 inch combination 12-point box & open end for $28 for example
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWREN...1735/313472168

At thirty dollars each, only one or two at most fit into my budget for a
set. I didn't see any sets of the most common sizes though.

I don't even know what the most common sizes are, but I would guess it
should be between 1 inch and 2 inches as the most common for plumbing?

It sounds like you do more plumbing than I do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 19:53:09 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I've only bought bigger wrenches as needed.

Yeah, I suspect you did! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 23:11:39 -0500, alan wrote:

It's just wrong to use channel locks, pipe wrenches, and pliers when a
plumbing fixture has hex sides for a reason.

You should tell that to many generations of professional plumbers, who typically carry
monkey and strap wrenches to avoid marring what shouldn't be marred.
Otherwise a pipe wrench is their go to wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 09:16:54 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

You should tell that to many generations of professional plumbers, who typically carry
monkey and strap wrenches to avoid marring what shouldn't be marred.
Otherwise a pipe wrench is their go to wrench.

With all due respect.......

I understand your logic as I get your logic a lot from repair people who
just want to get paid and who don't care about doing a good job, and I get
your exact logic a lot from mechanics who tell me the bolts they removed but
didn't bother to put back "don't do anything."

They look at me like I'm from Mars, as you do, given they can't understand
why I have to tell them the manufacture didn't put them there for no good
reason.

I even had GoodYear tell me that one less lug nut was fine (he lost it).

You're using the same logic with these hex sides on plumbing fixtures.
The manufacturer didn't put them there for no reason as you seem to suggest.

They are there for a hex-sided tool to be used on them.
The fact most of us don't use wrenches is due to their cost.

Which is exactly why I ask this question.
To get the tool for you and for me at the best cost possible.

So that we'll do the job right for once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2021 8:23 AM, alan wrote:
[...]

Cruise yard sales and you will find all kinds of tool bargains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 11:23:02 -0500, alan wrote:

On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 09:16:54 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

You should tell that to many generations of professional plumbers, who typically carry
monkey and strap wrenches to avoid marring what shouldn't be marred.
Otherwise a pipe wrench is their go to wrench.

With all due respect.......

Blah, blah, blah. Snipped the usual crap from Arlen touting his superiority.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 5 Feb 2021 08:32:33 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

On 2/5/2021 8:23 AM, alan wrote:
[...]

Maybe it's where I live, but yard sales have mostly baby clothes. I only
see tools maybe once a year out of 10 or 15 stops.

OTOH, I did get a nice little electric chain saw,

And at an estate sale I got a big fancy, old but great condition, table
saw.

And some little things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/5/2021 8:23 AM, alan wrote:
[...]

Look for yard sales nearby on Craigslist or other such sites, and you
can choose your yard sales better. Thay have been fewer due to covid,
but might pick up again as the vaccine lessens the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 6:04:40 PM UTC-6, alan wrote:
I always wanted an open end & box wrench set over 1 inch but I couldn't
justify it based on its use in mostly outdoor plumbing where pipe wrenches
and spanners and adjustable wrenches almost always end up working.

I don't think I need metric because I'm in the US where the plumbing is not
metric yet, although all my cars are metric (but over an inch isn't all that
common on metric sizes in cars, is it?).

Still it would be nice to have a set of open-end/box wrenches over an inch.
Can an ok set be gotten for a good price (like thirty or so bucks maybe?).
They don't have to be fantastic quality. They just have to be good steel.

If you were to buy a set of larger wrenches, what sizes would you get?
And where?

I found out recently that Goodwill takes tools. Maybe them or a similar organization?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 09:16:54 -0600, Vic Smith posted for all of us to digest...

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 23:11:39 -0500, alan wrote:

It's just wrong to use channel locks, pipe wrenches, and pliers when a
plumbing fixture has hex sides for a reason.

You should tell that to many generations of professional plumbers, who typically carry
monkey and strap wrenches to avoid marring what shouldn't be marred.
Otherwise a pipe wrench is their go to wrench.

+1 I really have an issue with this poster being a shop teacher. If he want to
know the size of his ball valves why does he go measure them? Measure several
because different manufacturers can have different size hexes. I don't know
where one would use a box wrench on plumbing.

To OP check out https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/hex-wrenches and Knipex tools.

Otherwise you are getting into truck & heavy equipment tools and you ain't
gonna like those prices.

The only time I have seen a plumber use a regular wrench is on the nozzles and
oil feed line on a oil fired burner.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 11:02:37 -0600, Vic Smith posted for all of us to digest...

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 11:23:02 -0500, alan wrote:

On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 09:16:54 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

You should tell that to many generations of professional plumbers, who typically carry
monkey and strap wrenches to avoid marring what shouldn't be marred.
Otherwise a pipe wrench is their go to wrench.

With all due respect.......

Blah, blah, blah. Snipped the usual crap from Arlen touting his superiority.

I realized the same thing after I posted an addition to one of your posts. It
sure does have that smell. He has me blocked so he's the only one missing out.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2021 11:23 AM, alan wrote:

You're using the same logic with these hex sides on plumbing fixtures.
The manufacturer didn't put them there for no reason as you seem to
suggest.

They are there for a hex-sided tool to be used on them.
The fact most of us don't use wrenches is due to their cost.

Which is exactly why I ask this question.
To get the tool for you and for me at the best cost possible.

So that we'll do the job right for once.

Your logic makes a lot of sense, but not so much a good fiscal decision
for the average homeowner. If I can get the job done with a tool I
already own I'm not going to buy a $30 tool for one quick use.

Money aside, if I can get the job done right now it is a benefit over
taking 2 hours to find the right tool and get back to the job.

I own quite a few screwdrivers but once or twice in my life a butter
knife got the job done quickly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 19:53:09 -0700, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

[...]

Here is a real POS that has satisfied my need to break things.

https://www.blackanddecker.com/produ...ls/hand-tools-
sub/autowrench-8-in-automatic-adjustable-wrench/aaw100

My wife got me one - she likes to be good to me - so what could I say??
It's good for rounding nuts of all types, space launches, gravity hold-down,
weight in the back of p/u truck for snow or reverse body work of installing
dents, taking up space for less stuff, etc. Rated on U Tube one of the worst
tools ever...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie© writes:

On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 09:16:54 -0600, Vic Smith posted for all of us to digest...

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 23:11:39 -0500, alan wrote:

It's just wrong to use channel locks, pipe wrenches, and pliers when a
plumbing fixture has hex sides for a reason.

You should tell that to many generations of professional plumbers, who typically carry
monkey and strap wrenches to avoid marring what shouldn't be marred.
Otherwise a pipe wrench is their go to wrench.

+1 I really have an issue with this poster being a shop teacher.

And you don't even know the poster at all. That's pretty sad.

If he want to
know the size of his ball valves why does he go measure them? Measure several
because different manufacturers can have different size hexes. I don't know
where one would use a box wrench on plumbing.

How about on any angle stop, especially in a confined
space like a lav cabinet? Or a flex gas line?

Granted, a crescent-style wrench works just as well as a
box-end wrench for that application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/5/2021 8:23 AM, alan wrote:
[...]

Yeah, got one of those at one myself.
I much prefer electric because you don't
have to fart around starting it on the top
of a ladder. But I don't have a wood fire
or stove so don't cut wood away from home.

And at an estate sale I got a big fancy,
old but great condition, table saw.

Just saw by far the biggest floor standing
belt driven dual grinder this morning. Real
antique. Wanted a lot for it tho and of no
interest to me.

And some little things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/5/2021 8:23 AM, alan wrote:
[...]

The virus is vastly less of a problem here and yard
sales still havent picked up at all. Not clear why.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 09:34:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

WTF are you doing in humans-only ngs, you abnormal trolling senile pest?

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/5/2021 8:23 AM, alan wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea. I just go to the ones I happen to drive by.

can choose your yard sales better. Thay have been fewer due to covid,
but might pick up again as the vaccine lessens the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/5/2021 8:23 AM, alan wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea.

I have my own local facebook group that lists
all the local yard sales I can find listed anywhere
and which I find when doing the yard sales.

I just go to the ones I happen to drive by.

can choose your yard sales better. Thay have been fewer due to covid,
but might pick up again as the vaccine lessens the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2021 01:46 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
1 I really have an issue with this poster being a shop teacher. If he want to
know the size of his ball valves why does he go measure them? Measure several
because different manufacturers can have different size hexes. I don't know
where one would use a box wrench on plumbing.

All I can think of is tightening the halves of a union on pieces of pipe
prior to screwing them into something else unless you wanted the wrench
to be a permanent part of the assembly. Of course, you'd have to use a
pipe wrench or vise on the pipe itself.

I've got a set of brake line wrenches but I think the biggest they go to
1 1/8.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2021 02:00 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
Here is a real POS that has satisfied my need to break things.

https://www.blackanddecker.com/produ...ls/hand-tools-
sub/autowrench-8-in-automatic-adjustable-wrench/aaw100

My wife got me one - she likes to be good to me - so what could I say??
It's good for rounding nuts of all types, space launches, gravity hold-down,
weight in the back of p/u truck for snow or reverse body work of installing
dents, taking up space for less stuff, etc. Rated on U Tube one of the worst
tools ever...

I'm sure she meant well, bless her heart...

'This product has been discontinued and replaced with a newer one. '

Oddly they don't provide a link to the new, improved version. At least
it's less destructive than a universal socket:

https://www.smartsaker.com/products/...iversal-socket

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 19:04:35 -0500, alan wrote:

I always wanted an open end & box wrench set over 1 inch but I couldn't
justify it based on its use in mostly outdoor plumbing where pipe wrenches
and spanners and adjustable wrenches almost always end up working.

I don't think I need metric because I'm in the US where the plumbing is not
metric yet, although all my cars are metric (but over an inch isn't all that
common on metric sizes in cars, is it?).

Still it would be nice to have a set of open-end/box wrenches over an inch.
Can an ok set be gotten for a good price (like thirty or so bucks maybe?).
They don't have to be fantastic quality. They just have to be good steel.

If you were to buy a set of larger wrenches, what sizes would you get?
And where?

About $30 EACH is doable for large wrenches.
6 piece (1 3/8 to 2 inch) set from Princess Auto is $120 Canadian -
reasonable but not exceptional quality mirror polished chrome vanadium
steel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 18:46:26 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

[...]

Or a big crescent wrench.

Where I usually end up needing a big wrench is on the trailer hitch
balls
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Acdtually they are made for parallel jaw tools to work on them -
the 6 sides is to give 3 possible orientations so you can get away
with a shorter swing than you couls on a 2 or 4 sided fastener.

As far as how many points on a combo wrench, virtually every decent
box end wrench (or "ring spanner" as our brit friends call them) are
12 point and the open end or "jaw" wrenches are angled 30 degrees so
you can split the differenc by flipping thne wrench
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 16:00:57 -0500, Tekkie© wrote:

https://www.blackanddecker.com/produ...ls/hand-tools-
sub/autowrench-8-in-automatic-adjustable-wrench/aaw100

Like anything less than 40 years old with the Black and Decker name
on it it is not designed to do the job it is sold for. I can see it
POSSIBLY being useable for plumbing fixtures that are made of brass
and have not been installed for more than2 or 3 years
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 13:50:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I have my own local facebook group

Sure you have! Trolling on Usenet all night and day long isn't enough for
you, you miserable forsaken quarrelsome senile pest! LOL

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rodent:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 19:51:45 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

All I can think

....and I always thought it's just your mouth blabbering and chattering all
by itself, senile gossip. No? BG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 23:31:37 -0500, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

you can split the differenc by flipping thne wrench

That is how one can tell a newbie from experienced.

--
Tekkie