Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What Is the Purpose of an Open End "Angle" Wrench?

I'm always pleased to find a tool on the road, and doubly so if it's a
primo brand such as Snap-On.

I just found a Snap-On V520B 5/8" open-end angle wrench, as their web
site calls it. It looks like a typical open end wrench but with a more
°extreme angle on the "jaw" portion - looks like about 45° rather than
the typical 30°.

Can anyone explain why such an item exists? What purpose does it serve
beyond that of the more familiar open end wrench?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 14:31:31 -0700, Art Shapiro
wrote:

I'm always pleased to find a tool on the road, and doubly so if it's a
primo brand such as Snap-On.

I just found a Snap-On V520B 5/8" open-end angle wrench, as their web
site calls it. It looks like a typical open end wrench but with a more
°extreme angle on the "jaw" portion - looks like about 45° rather than
the typical 30°.

Can anyone explain why such an item exists? What purpose does it serve
beyond that of the more familiar open end wrench?

Let me guess. An offset wrench for tight places?

Ever use a distributor wrench? https://tinyurl.com/jcz5ogv
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

I'm always pleased to find a tool on the road, and doubly so if it's a
primo brand such as Snap-On.

I just found a Snap-On V520B 5/8" open-end angle wrench, as their web
site calls it. It looks like a typical open end wrench but with a more
°extreme angle on the "jaw" portion - looks like about 45° rather than
the typical 30°.

Can anyone explain why such an item exists? What purpose does it serve
beyond that of the more familiar open end wrench?

Let me guess. An offset wrench for tight places?

Like the cylinder-block jug lower bolts on a Wisconsin air-cooled VH4D,
maybe...had to manufacture a couple to get to 'em to torque. (It's the
engine in the old JLG manlift that blew a head gasket and burned up one
side a few years ago is the "don't ask how I know that!" story... )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm always pleased to find a tool on the road, and doubly so if it's a
primo brand such as Snap-On.

I just found a Snap-On V520B 5/8" open-end angle wrench, as their web
site calls it. It looks like a typical open end wrench but with a more
°extreme angle on the "jaw" portion - looks like about 45° rather than
the typical 30°.

Can anyone explain why such an item exists? What purpose does it serve
beyond that of the more familiar open end wrench?

Let me guess. An offset wrench for tight places?

Like the cylinder-block jug lower bolts on a Wisconsin air-cooled VH4D,
maybe...had to manufacture a couple to get to 'em to torque. (It's the
engine in the old JLG manlift that blew a head gasket and burned up one
side a few years ago is the "don't ask how I know that!" story... )

I could have used one of those last week when removing a motor from underneath some equipment. Ended up bending a piece of 1/8-inch pipe and hose-clamping a regular open end wrench to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm always pleased to find a tool on the road, and doubly so if it's a
primo brand such as Snap-On.

I just found a Snap-On V520B 5/8" open-end angle wrench, as their web
site calls it. It looks like a typical open end wrench but with a more
°extreme angle on the "jaw" portion - looks like about 45° rather than
the typical 30°.

Can anyone explain why such an item exists? What purpose does it serve
beyond that of the more familiar open end wrench?

Let me guess. An offset wrench for tight places?

+1

Ever use a distributor wrench? https://tinyurl.com/jcz5ogv

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm always pleased to find a tool on the road, and doubly so if it's a
primo brand such as Snap-On.

I just found a Snap-On V520B 5/8" open-end angle wrench, as their web
site calls it. It looks like a typical open end wrench but with a more
°extreme angle on the "jaw" portion - looks like about 45° rather than
the typical 30°.

Can anyone explain why such an item exists? What purpose does it serve
beyond that of the more familiar open end wrench?

Let me guess. An offset wrench for tight places?

Like the cylinder-block jug lower bolts on a Wisconsin air-cooled VH4D,
maybe...had to manufacture a couple to get to 'em to torque. (It's the
engine in the old JLG manlift that blew a head gasket and burned up one
side a few years ago is the "don't ask how I know that!" story... )

I still have a piece of an open end wrench I cut in half decades ago.
It worked that day but not needed since. Cut a hex (Allen wrench) in
half I still have. Only needed a short piece of the Allen wrench to
git er done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2016 2:48 PM, Oren wrote:
t places?

Ever use a distributor wrench? https://tinyurl.com/jcz5ogv

The distributor wrench is offset in a different plane from this guy; it
(the distributor wrench) is intended to get underneath something in a
tight environment; my wrench is not contorted in three dimensions.

I think the other responses are spot on - thank you. On closer look,
only one of the open end sides is bent at such an extreme angle, so this
gives a chance to use the extreme or the normal side in situations where
there's only a small amount of room to turn the wrench.

So this guy won't get much use, but again I'm always delighted to find a
Snap-On tool. I have several screwdrivers and heavy pliers among other
Snap-On finds; I assume they bounce out of engine compartments when
careless mechanics are test-driving repaired vehicles. Alas, no
oscilloscopes!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm always pleased to find a tool on the road, and doubly so if it's a
primo brand such as Snap-On.

I just found a Snap-On V520B 5/8" open-end angle wrench, as their web
site calls it. It looks like a typical open end wrench but with a more
°extreme angle on the "jaw" portion - looks like about 45° rather than
the typical 30°.

Can anyone explain why such an item exists? What purpose does it serve
beyond that of the more familiar open end wrench?

Let me guess. An offset wrench for tight places?

+1

Right on. It allows you to remove a bolt with a tad more than a 15
degree swing, flipping the wrench each time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm always pleased to find a tool on the road, and doubly so if it's a
primo brand such as Snap-On.

I just found a Snap-On V520B 5/8" open-end angle wrench, as their web
site calls it. It looks like a typical open end wrench but with a more
°extreme angle on the "jaw" portion - looks like about 45° rather than
the typical 30°.

Can anyone explain why such an item exists? What purpose does it serve
beyond that of the more familiar open end wrench?

It allows you to get an open end wrench onto a bolt or nut you can
not get onto with a standard-offset open end wrench.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm always pleased to find a tool on the road, and doubly so if it's a
primo brand such as Snap-On.

I just found a Snap-On V520B 5/8" open-end angle wrench, as their web
site calls it. It looks like a typical open end wrench but with a more
°extreme angle on the "jaw" portion - looks like about 45° rather than
the typical 30°.

Can anyone explain why such an item exists? What purpose does it serve
beyond that of the more familiar open end wrench?

Sometimes a bolt will be tightened 15° more than usual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:33:04 -0700, Art Shapiro
wrote:

So this guy won't get much use, but again I'm always delighted to find a
Snap-On tool. I have several screwdrivers and heavy pliers among other
Snap-On finds; I assume they bounce out of engine compartments when
careless mechanics are test-driving repaired vehicles. Alas, no
oscilloscopes!

You just reminded me. A friend told me months ago he was picking up a
free oscilloscope for me. But he never did. Oh, well.