Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Google Joins Ford

Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2021 15:11, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

Oh.....the wheels on the bus go round...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2021 15:15, Bod wrote:
On 02/02/2021 15:11, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment?Â* In my day, we made our own
entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

Oh.....the wheels on the bus go round...

(quickly followed by).......I know a song that'll get on your
nerves...... get on your ne...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 9:11:19 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

AM/FM radio was leading edge tech in vehicles when I was growing up. My brand
new shiny Toyota pickup has one of those screens in it. It shows a warning every time
I start the pickup. The warning says not to pay attention to the screen.
One feature that is nice is the cruise control. It uses radar to keep me from rear ending a slower driver if I catch up to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/21 10:11 AM, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

In the near future, when cars become driverless, passengers will need
something to keep them awake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2021 10:40 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 9:11:19 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

AM/FM radio was leading edge tech in vehicles when I was growing up. My brand
new shiny Toyota pickup has one of those screens in it. It shows a warning every time
I start the pickup. The warning says not to pay attention to the screen.
One feature that is nice is the cruise control. It uses radar to keep me from rear ending a slower driver if I catch up to them.

I've got the Subaru EyeSight in my Crosstrek that does this. It's
always beeping when there are big breaks in road lines and even helps
with steering. Says it prevents 85% of front end collisions but I don't
want to test it.

All this electronic crap can cause your vehicle to be declared totaled
in an accident because of extra repair cost. I drive a vehicle to get
from one place to another, not to get entertained.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 2 Feb 2021 07:11:15 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

You're married, but when I'm driving alone, I like to have a movie to
watch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Some of us have enough of a clue to do both
on the longer trips and the daily commute.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 2 Feb 2021 07:40:57 -0800 (PST), Dean
Hoffman wrote:

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 9:11:19 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

AM/FM radio was leading edge tech in vehicles when I was growing up. My brand
new shiny Toyota pickup has one of those screens in it. It shows a warning every time
I start the pickup. The warning says not to pay attention to the screen.

I have one of those warnings. It's the major reason for wanting a new
raido.

It makes me agree that the map might be wrong, EVERY time I start the
car. I want to tell it once and be done. Are some radios like that?

One feature that is nice is the cruise control. It uses radar to keep me from rear ending a slower driver if I catch up to them.

That's smart cruise. I have dumb cruise.

I listened to Click and Clack last night, and they said when there are
two jets to spray wash water on the windshield, one is ment to be
pointed up, so that it goes over your car and lands on the windshield of
a tailgater. I hadn't thought of that, but it sounds good. When the
snow melts off my car, I'll look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2021 10:11 AM, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

I'm on a forum for my make of car. It has a lot of nifty features and
the people on the forum have many questions. Many are related to the
infotainment system and how to use Android Auto with Spotify or what
wires to splice into so I can add a bigger sub-woofer to my 21 speaker
system already in the car. Seems like more people care about the music
that if the wheels are falling off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 2 Feb 2021 13:51:13 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 2/2/2021 10:11 AM, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

I'm on a forum for my make of car. It has a lot of nifty features and
the people on the forum have many questions. Many are related to the
infotainment system and how to use Android Auto with Spotify or what
wires to splice into so I can add a bigger sub-woofer to my 21 speaker
system already in the car. Seems like more people care about the music
that if the wheels are falling off.

Anyone can tighten the lug nuts, but it takes a real man to have a
booming radio.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 05:49:59 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's troll**** unread

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2021 08:11 AM, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

Last spring when I was reading car reviews a lot of them glossed over
the car itself and got right down to the entertainment center.

I'm not sure if what I have qualifies a an entertainment center. There's
a radio, I can plug a thumb drive full of MP3's into the USB port, and
the phone will pair up if I want to listen to Jango.

It does display the backup camera. I suppose it would be entertaining to
see how many little old ladies I could run over in reverse without using
the mirrors.

Nice thought but hatchbacks tend to suck up road dirt and deposit it on
the hatch, including the camera lens. The window has a washer/wiper, the
camera doesn't.

codger
I've been using mirrors since they shot Kennedy. No big Loss.
/codger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2021 08:40 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
One feature that is nice is the cruise control. It uses radar to keep me from rear ending a slower driver if I catch up to them.

I don't have cruise control but it does have a collision alert. It
doesn't go well with my driving style. If some moron pulls out in front
of me and leisurely accelerates to 25 mph I do my best to give them the
impression they're going to be the next thing to be launched to the
space station.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2021 11:19 AM, Frank wrote:
All this electronic crap can cause your vehicle to be declared totaled
in an accident because of extra repair cost. I drive a vehicle to get
from one place to another, not to get entertained.

I've got the feeling that with the camera and radar mounted on the
windshield, a windshield replacement ain't gonna come cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2021 10:06 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/02/2021 11:19 AM, Frank wrote:
All this electronic crap can cause your vehicle to be declared totaled
in an accident because of extra repair cost.Â* I drive a vehicle to get
from one place to another, not to get entertained.

I've got the feeling that with the camera and radar mounted on the
windshield, a windshield replacement ain't gonna come cheap.

Full glass coverage is pretty cheap.

I've heard numbers on my being about $1800 and a $135 camera adjustment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 20:05:02 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

On 02/02/2021 08:40 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
One feature that is nice is the cruise control. It uses radar to keep me from rear ending a slower driver if I catch up to them.

I don't have cruise control but it does have a collision alert. It
doesn't go well with my driving style. If some moron pulls out in front
of me and leisurely accelerates to 25 mph I do my best to give them the
impression they're going to be the next thing to be launched to the
space station.

Maybe you don't have a cruise control, but you certainly got a big mouth,
senile blabbermouth! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 20:02:01 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Last spring when I was reading car reviews

Yeah, do tell us everything about it, senile gossip!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 13:19:34 -0500, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

[...]

Air bag deployment is what adds up to the cost. Also the body shop should take
the readings from the brain box and upload them when finished. Otherwise they
will have to reinitialize every sensor.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 20:06:50 -0700, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 02/02/2021 11:19 AM, Frank wrote:
All this electronic crap can cause your vehicle to be declared totaled
in an accident because of extra repair cost. I drive a vehicle to get
from one place to another, not to get entertained.

I've got the feeling that with the camera and radar mounted on the
windshield, a windshield replacement ain't gonna come cheap.

IDK but it will also have to be recalibrate to car so the cameras work
properly.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 20:05:02 -0700, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 02/02/2021 08:40 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
One feature that is nice is the cruise control. It uses radar to keep me from rear ending a slower driver if I catch up to them.

I don't have cruise control but it does have a collision alert. It
doesn't go well with my driving style. If some moron pulls out in front
of me and leisurely accelerates to 25 mph I do my best to give them the
impression they're going to be the next thing to be launched to the
space station.

I used to be like that but somehow my wife's nagging has gotten to me to just
ignore things like that. If one really looks at time of aggressive vs defensive
driving it is only seconds in a day. My only thought is if the SOB in front
would not have pulled out or had sped up I could a made the light. That's
another topic: red lights and stop signs.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 15:18:19 +0000, Bod posted for all of us to digest...

On 02/02/2021 15:15, Bod wrote:
On 02/02/2021 15:11, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment?* In my day, we made our own
entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

Oh.....the wheels on the bus go round...

(quickly followed by).......I know a song that'll get on your
nerves...... get on your ne...

The Kars for Kids ad...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 13:51:13 -0500, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

On 2/2/2021 10:11 AM, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment? In my day, we made our own entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

I'm on a forum for my make of car. It has a lot of nifty features and
the people on the forum have many questions. Many are related to the
infotainment system and how to use Android Auto with Spotify or what
wires to splice into so I can add a bigger sub-woofer to my 21 speaker
system already in the car. Seems like more people care about the music
that if the wheels are falling off.

And when they take it to the shop because their battery goes dead overnite.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/03/2021 02:11 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

[...]

I'm not trying to save time, just screwing with idiots. You put a few
hundred thousand miles in on 18 wheels and you realize you get there
when you get there.

I do love the people who slow down when approaching a green stop light,
just in case. We have a lot of 4-way stops and they work pretty well
with people taking turns. Then there are the hesitant types that sit
there wondering if they should go. I give them about 750 milliseconds to
show intent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 19:38:04 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I'm not trying to save time, just screwing with idiots.

You don't suspect that you yourself are the idiot that some people like to
screw with? No? LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 19:38:04 -0700, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

[...]

The term is "Take command of the intersection" you got.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2021 4:04 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 20:06:50 -0700, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 02/02/2021 11:19 AM, Frank wrote:
All this electronic crap can cause your vehicle to be declared totaled
in an accident because of extra repair cost. I drive a vehicle to get
from one place to another, not to get entertained.

I've got the feeling that with the camera and radar mounted on the
windshield, a windshield replacement ain't gonna come cheap.

IDK but it will also have to be recalibrate to car so the cameras work
properly.

I've heard and OEM windshield would be required and re-calibration is
necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2021 10:02 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/02/2021 08:11 AM, wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of a guy I knew teaching at a junior college saying guys were
trading in cars just to get the updated electronic stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2021 2:47 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

[...]

There was a saying when I was in Boston that the shortest possible time
was the time between the light changing to green and the driver behind
you honking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Exactly. When I bought my current vehicle, a 2004 Sienna, it was my
first car without window cranks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment?* In my day, we made our own
entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

Last spring when I was reading car reviews a lot of them glossed over
the car itself and got right down to the entertainment center.

I'm not sure if what I have qualifies a an entertainment center.
There's a radio, I can plug a thumb drive full of MP3's into the USB
port, and the phone will pair up if I want to listen to Jango.

It does display the backup camera. I suppose it would be entertaining

I had a rental with a backup camera. I liked it except it interrupted
the radio everytime I put it in reverse. Sometimes I was in the middle
of listening to the news or something important.

Do they all do that?

I think if I went from park to Drive it interrupted the radio for a
second.

to see how many little old ladies I could run over in reverse without
using the mirrors.

Nice thought but hatchbacks tend to suck up road dirt and deposit it
on the hatch, including the camera lens. The window has a
washer/wiper, the camera doesn't.

codger
I've been using mirrors since they shot Kennedy. No big Loss.
/codger

Reminds me of a guy I knew teaching at a junior college saying guys were
trading in cars just to get the updated electronic stuff.

Exactly. When I bought my current vehicle, a 2004 Sienna, it was my
first car without window cranks.

With my '67 Pontiac, I found junk parts for a power window /// No, it
was the door lock, not the window. Far far easier to modify. ...just
for the passenger door, and I put in only one switch for the driver. It
was good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 4 Feb 2021 16:24:31 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

[...]

In NYC if you stop in your lane, or even if you pull to the side, to
look at something, the guy behind you waits 320 nanoseconds before going
into the oncoming lane and passing you.

In Baltimore, the guy behind you sits and waits patiently for 20 seconds
and maybe then he passes you. Even when you are the only two cars
around. .

OTOH, on the xway they pass you on the right, even when your right turn
signal is blinking. (They don't do that in NYC.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually, I use my turn signals when I want to change lanes. If someone
is right behind me on the side I want to change lanes to, I turn that
turn signal on for 2 flashes, then turn it off. 80% of the time, the
other car will race ahead of me, leaving a clear lane to move into.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nope. only the ****ed ones do that.

Then its ****ed by design.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Exactly. That's why I have it on.

is right behind me on the side I want to change lanes to, I turn that
turn signal on for 2 flashes, then turn it off. 80% of the time, the
other car will race ahead of me, leaving a clear lane to move into.

Clearly, you don't live in Baltimore. Or DC.

I turn my signal on and even if he's way back, by the time I look for
cars in that lane, he's passing me, just about the time I would change
lanes if I weren't used to the bad drivers here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 6 Feb 2021 14:32:59 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

Good. I won't exclude cars with back up cameras next time I buy a car.

I liked having it otherwise.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 6 Feb 2021 14:32:59 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, they are much safer, no risk of
running over a little kid you cant see.

The VW Golf even helps you back a trailer.