Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT. Google Joins Ford

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 4 Feb 2021 16:26:38 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

On 2/4/2021 3:34 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2021 10:02 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/02/2021 08:11 AM, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:08:13 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
Google is going to help Ford out with in vehicle
entertainment etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/ford-and-google-sign-six-year-deal-for-android-in-car-apps-cloud.html

codger
Why do cars need entertainment?* In my day, we made our own
entertainment.
I spy, with my little eye, ...
/codger

Last spring when I was reading car reviews a lot of them glossed over
the car itself and got right down to the entertainment center.

I'm not sure if what I have qualifies a an entertainment center.
There's a radio, I can plug a thumb drive full of MP3's into the USB
port, and the phone will pair up if I want to listen to Jango.

It does display the backup camera. I suppose it would be entertaining

I had a rental with a backup camera. I liked it except it interrupted
the radio everytime I put it in reverse. Sometimes I was in the middle
of listening to the news or something important.

Do they all do that?

I think if I went from park to Drive it interrupted the radio for a
second.

to see how many little old ladies I could run over in reverse without
using the mirrors.

Nice thought but hatchbacks tend to suck up road dirt and deposit it
on the hatch, including the camera lens. The window has a
washer/wiper, the camera doesn't.

codger
I've been using mirrors since they shot Kennedy. No big Loss.
/codger

Reminds me of a guy I knew teaching at a junior college saying guys were
trading in cars just to get the updated electronic stuff.

Exactly. When I bought my current vehicle, a 2004 Sienna, it was my
first car without window cranks.

With my '67 Pontiac, I found junk parts for a power window /// No, it
was the door lock, not the window. Far far easier to modify. ...just
for the passenger door, and I put in only one switch for the driver. It
was good.