Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT. Google Joins Ford

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 5 Feb 2021 17:33:09 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

On 2/5/2021 5:02 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 4 Feb 2021 16:24:31 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

On 2/4/2021 2:47 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 19:38:04 -0700, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 02/03/2021 02:11 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 20:05:02 -0700, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 02/02/2021 08:40 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
One feature that is nice is the cruise control. It uses radar to keep me from rear ending a slower driver if I catch up to them.

I don't have cruise control but it does have a collision alert. It
doesn't go well with my driving style. If some moron pulls out in front
of me and leisurely accelerates to 25 mph I do my best to give them the
impression they're going to be the next thing to be launched to the
space station.

I used to be like that but somehow my wife's nagging has gotten to me to just
ignore things like that. If one really looks at time of aggressive vs defensive
driving it is only seconds in a day. My only thought is if the SOB in front
would not have pulled out or had sped up I could a made the light. That's
another topic: red lights and stop signs.

I'm not trying to save time, just screwing with idiots. You put a few
hundred thousand miles in on 18 wheels and you realize you get there
when you get there.

I do love the people who slow down when approaching a green stop light,
just in case. We have a lot of 4-way stops and they work pretty well
with people taking turns. Then there are the hesitant types that sit
there wondering if they should go. I give them about 750 milliseconds to
show intent.

The term is "Take command of the intersection" you got.

There was a saying when I was in Boston that the shortest possible time
was the time between the light changing to green and the driver behind
you honking.

In NYC if you stop in your lane, or even if you pull to the side, to
look at something, the guy behind you waits 320 nanoseconds before going
into the oncoming lane and passing you.

In Baltimore, the guy behind you sits and waits patiently for 20 seconds
and maybe then he passes you. Even when you are the only two cars
around. .

OTOH, on the xway they pass you on the right, even when your right turn
signal is blinking. (They don't do that in NYC.)

Actually, I use my turn signals when I want to change lanes. If someone

Exactly. That's why I have it on.

is right behind me on the side I want to change lanes to, I turn that
turn signal on for 2 flashes, then turn it off. 80% of the time, the
other car will race ahead of me, leaving a clear lane to move into.

Clearly, you don't live in Baltimore. Or DC.

I turn my signal on and even if he's way back, by the time I look for
cars in that lane, he's passing me, just about the time I would change
lanes if I weren't used to the bad drivers here.