Andrew Barnes

Default Problem with lining paper joins

About 6 months ago I lined the walls of our spare bedroom with lining paper
and painted with matt emulsion. After a few weeks I noticed the joins
between the paper on one of the interior walls (partition type) were opening
up. I duly filled them and repainted. However, they keep reappearing. Every
4 weeks or so I have to fill and paint. The gaps are only about 1/2 mm, but
are very noticeable. Any ideas what is going on and how to stop the gaps
opening up?

Thanks

Andrew

BigWallop

"Andrew Barnes" wrote in message
. ..
About 6 months ago I lined the walls of our spare bedroom with lining paper
and painted with matt emulsion. After a few weeks I noticed the joins
between the paper on one of the interior walls (partition type) were opening
up. I duly filled them and repainted. However, they keep reappearing. Every
4 weeks or so I have to fill and paint. The gaps are only about 1/2 mm, but
are very noticeable. Any ideas what is going on and how to stop the gaps
opening up?

Thanks

Andrew

The natural expansion in the wall might be the cause. When the house cools at night with the heating off,
everything shrinks and when the house heats up again it all expands.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

stuart noble

Andrew Barnes wrote in message
.. .
About 6 months ago I lined the walls of our spare bedroom with lining paper
and painted with matt emulsion. After a few weeks I noticed the joins
between the paper on one of the interior walls (partition type) were

opening
up. I duly filled them and repainted. However, they keep reappearing. Every
4 weeks or so I have to fill and paint. The gaps are only about 1/2 mm, but
are very noticeable. Any ideas what is going on and how to stop the gaps
opening up?

Is this gaps increasing or just the edges of the paper lifting? Probably
difficult to tell at sub 1mm but I'd suggest lifting the paper gently with a
scraper, and using a pva glue. Use a fine abrasive to get rid of the
previous filler and try again, preferably with a fine surface filler.

Colin Wilson

About 6 months ago I lined the walls of our spare bedroom with lining paper
and painted with matt emulsion. After a few weeks I noticed the joins
between the paper on one of the interior walls (partition type) were opening
up. I duly filled them and repainted. However, they keep reappearing.

I have a similar problem in the living room, where wallpaper will "part"
even though it was first put up correctly. There is some sort of nasty
green paint (war era) which I suspect is to blame, and i`ve heard other
people mention having the same sort of problem with it.

Andrew Barnes

"stuart noble" wrote in message

[...]

No problem with the adhesive, edges aren't lifting, just the gaps.

Think i'll wait till they get big & fill!

Cheers

Zymurgy

"Andrew Barnes" wrote
About 6 months ago I lined the walls of our spare bedroom with lining paper
and painted with matt emulsion. After a few weeks I noticed the joins
between the paper on one of the interior walls (partition type) were opening
up. I duly filled them and repainted. However, they keep reappearing. Every
4 weeks or so I have to fill and paint. The gaps are only about 1/2 mm, but
are very noticeable. Any ideas what is going on and how to stop the gaps
opening up?

Don't use lining paper ?

My walls were pretty rough with some dodgy 50's paint on them, but
after a session of painting & filling X 2 and a final touch up, no
lining paper needed.

Cheers,

Paul.
gamemaniak

There is some sort of nasty green paint (war era) which I suspect is to
blame, and i`ve heard other people mention having the same sort of problem
with it.

My walls were pretty rough with some dodgy 50's paint on them,

Yep it is the dodgy paint/varnish 1940s whatever old coating was already on
the walls that you have papered over I spent THREE days scrapping the c***
of kitchen walls to ensure when i papered the joins would not move apart.
Was almost tempted to just artex walls :-)

Vokera Excell 80E overheat problem anon UK diy 1 December 3rd 03 04:26 PM
Combi DHW output problem Neil UK diy 0 December 2nd 03 09:36 PM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM
Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse Frank Davis UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 10:00 PM
Putting up lining paper on newly plasterd walls?? andrewpreece UK diy 7 August 18th 03 05:55 PM