Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaky wall-mounted kitchen faucet

It needs new washers every few weeks. Replacement units are under $100,
but I've been looking for 'washerless' with no success. I assume that
modern units are ALL washerless so nobody mentions it. Ceramic
cartridges? Something else?

I NEVER want to replace another washer, and appearance is irrelevant.
Is one of these what I want?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Peerless...F-SS/314521478

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Peerless...05LF/203916778

--
Cheers, Bev
"Too many people in Washington are full of themselves, among
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 22 Jan 2021 13:54:58 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote:

It needs new washers every few weeks. Replacement units are under $100,
but I've been looking for 'washerless' with no success. I assume that
modern units are ALL washerless so nobody mentions it.

???

Ceramic cartridges? Something else?

I NEVER want to replace another washer, and appearance is irrelevant.
Is one of these what I want?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Peerless...F-SS/314521478

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Peerless...05LF/203916778

Those both sure look like they use washers to me.

But why do you have to replace yours so often. Mine last for 10 years
or more. I think one i use often is still original, 42 years.

I once bought a seat refinisher, but it seemed cheap and I wasn't
convinced it did anything.

Many faucets have replaceable seats. If the seats might be ruining your
washers and you can replace the seats, do that. They unscrew with a
flat-blade screwdriver. Somehow the slot doesn't interfere with the
seat or the hole, clever people these plumbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Good point about the seats maybe damaging the washers. There are tools
made to remove removable seats.
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...t+removal+tool

BTW, the 2 faucets mentioned above use cartridges, as shown in their
parts diagrams.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...5cd8159bff.pdf

BTW had same experience with a seat refinisher. Waste of time and money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2021 7:25 PM, micky wrote:

But why do you have to replace yours so often. Mine last for 10 years
or more. I think one i use often is still original, 42 years.

I once bought a seat refinisher, but it seemed cheap and I wasn't
convinced it did anything.

Could be the water. When we moved to CT I was going through washers and
the kits for Delta faucets very often. I put in a sediment filter in
the water line and then they lasted many years. Lots of crap in the
water and I had to change the element every couple of months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The ones I have seen use a hex key to remove, or an easy out if the
hex strips. I still have a stem and seat set for a US brass shower tub
faucet if anyone needs one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You're right. My bad. The tools have square ends. (I even have one of
them) There are no slots** in the seats, just square holes. Ooops, or
hexagonal holes, if they're newer. I don't think my tool does that but
regular tools would, allen wrenches.

**Nope, that's wrong too. Some have 4 notches that look like the ends
of slots, for the square tool.

If Bev looks in the hole and the seats have square holes or just 4
notches for the corners of the tool (or hexagonal holes!), I think that
proves they're removable. And if they are truly round, as opposed to
stripped almost round, they're not.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...movable-or-not
The seat in the picture has 4 notches and would be removed/installed
with a common tapered square seat wrench. Some newer seats will have a
hexagonal hole in the middle and can be removed with an Allen wrench.

Look closer at your seats for even the hint of the square notches. They
can corrode over and be less visible, but from what I see in your pics,
those are not removable.

For non-removable seats (and even removable ones), there is a
"reseating" tool for faucets that is basically a round grinding disk on
a T handle that can be used to grind down the seat a bit giving you a
new smooth surface. It is possible to grind too much, so you'd do a
little at a time.

enter image description here

Read the whole page above.

BTW, the 2 faucets mentioned above use cartridges, as shown in their
parts diagrams.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...5cd8159bff.pdf

You might be right, but I don't see it.

This is the area and it says
RP42096 Stem Unit Assembly, Seat, Spring & Bonnet Nut

But you are right. Googling RP42096 gave.

https://www.amazon.com/Peerless-RP42.../dp/B004DQXT14

I didn't know cartridges came that small.

Still, if replacing the seats stops washers from wearing out, it's a lot
less plumbing and wall repair to do since IIUC the plumbing here is in
the wall not under the sink.

BTW had same experience with a seat refinisher. Waste of time and money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 22 Jan 2021 21:11:34 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 1/22/2021 7:25 PM, micky wrote:

But why do you have to replace yours so often. Mine last for 10 years
or more. I think one i use often is still original, 42 years.

I once bought a seat refinisher, but it seemed cheap and I wasn't
convinced it did anything.

Could be the water. When we moved to CT I was going through washers and
the kits for Delta faucets very often. I put in a sediment filter in
the water line and then they lasted many years. Lots of crap in the
water and I had to change the element every couple of months.

So will the same water damage whatever it is that cartridges use?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 22 Jan 2021 19:25:30 -0500, micky
wrote:

Many faucets have replaceable seats. If the seats might be ruining your
washers and you can replace the seats, do that. They unscrew with a
flat-blade screwdriver.

No, I was mixed up. Not flat blade. Either the special tool or a hex
wrench, depending on if it needs to be square or hex.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/22/2021 7:25 PM, micky wrote:

But why do you have to replace yours so often. Mine last for 10 years
or more. I think one i use often is still original, 42 years.

I once bought a seat refinisher, but it seemed cheap and I wasn't
convinced it did anything.

Could be the water. When we moved to CT I was going through washers and
the kits for Delta faucets very often. I put in a sediment filter in
the water line and then they lasted many years. Lots of crap in the
water and I had to change the element every couple of months.

So will the same water damage whatever it is that cartridges use?

Sort of like sand blasting, the particles will erode anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/21 8:06 PM, wrote:

[snip]

BTW had same experience with a seat refinisher. Waste of time and money.

I have had to replace the washer in one faucet often. In less than a
month the washer would get torn up and clog the showerhead. A seat
refinisher fixed the problem. It's now been about 10 years without
replacing the washer.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

sign at a travel agency "Welcome ... Please Go Away"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Peerless...05LF/203916778

Ordered that one from Amazon. It should arrive today. I ordered chrome
rather than SS finish. I have a nice SS-finish set in the bathroom
whose handle is worn down to the brass after maybe 10 or 15 years.
Chrome ought to be better, although the chrome plating on the last
Craftsman 10mm socket I bought peeled off with my thumbnail.

Those both sure look like they use washers to me.

But why do you have to replace yours so often. Mine last for 10 years
or more. I think one i use often is still original, 42 years.

No idea. The brand-new unit needed frequent washers too. Enough is enough.

I once bought a seat refinisher, but it seemed cheap and I wasn't
convinced it did anything.

Many faucets have replaceable seats. If the seats might be ruining your
washers and you can replace the seats, do that. They unscrew with a
flat-blade screwdriver. Somehow the slot doesn't interfere with the
seat or the hole, clever people these plumbers.

Did that too. Clearly a defective design.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Too many people in Washington are full of themselves, among
other things that they are full of." --Thomas Sowell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/22/2021 06:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/22/2021 7:25 PM, micky wrote:

But why do you have to replace yours so often. Mine last for 10 years
or more. I think one i use often is still original, 42 years.

I once bought a seat refinisher, but it seemed cheap and I wasn't
convinced it did anything.

Could be the water. When we moved to CT I was going through washers and
the kits for Delta faucets very often. I put in a sediment filter in
the water line and then they lasted many years. Lots of crap in the
water and I had to change the element every couple of months.

Kalifornia has super-hard water. When your water heater finally gives
up the ghost it weighs a LOT more than it did when you installed it!

--
Cheers, Bev
"Too many people in Washington are full of themselves, among
other things that they are full of." --Thomas Sowell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/23/2021 09:39 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 1/22/21 8:06 PM, wrote:

[snip]

BTW had same experience with a seat refinisher. Waste of time and money.

I have had to replace the washer in one faucet often. In less than a
month the washer would get torn up and clog the showerhead. A seat
refinisher fixed the problem. It's now been about 10 years without
replacing the washer.

You had better luck than most. I've got a refinisher around here
someplace. When I got sick of the drips I replaced the faucet set with
the cheapest one at Home Depot. Problem solved. I did replace a
cartridge on the kitchen sink about 5 years ago. It was quick and cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 13:09:15 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

You had better luck than most. I've got a refinisher around here
someplace. When I got sick of the drips I replaced the faucet set with
the cheapest one at Home Depot. Problem solved. I did replace a
cartridge on the kitchen sink about 5 years ago. It was quick and cheap.

Thrilling story again, senile blabbermouth!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Peerless...05LF/203916778

Ordered that one from Amazon. It should arrive today. I ordered chrome
rather than SS finish. I have a nice SS-finish set in the bathroom
whose handle is worn down to the brass after maybe 10 or 15 years.
Chrome ought to be better, although the chrome plating on the last
Craftsman 10mm socket I bought peeled off with my thumbnail.

Arrived. Installed. Oooh, shiny. Considerably less volume than the
old leaky washerful faucet, though. There are always tradeoffs.

I may be the only person left on earth who likes those rubber spray
attachments better than the aerator-things; if more people liked them
they'd be easier to find :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"Everyone ought to stop and smell crayons once in a while."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Peerless...05LF/203916778

Ordered that one from Amazon. It should arrive today. I ordered chrome
rather than SS finish. I have a nice SS-finish set in the bathroom
whose handle is worn down to the brass after maybe 10 or 15 years.
Chrome ought to be better, although the chrome plating on the last
Craftsman 10mm socket I bought peeled off with my thumbnail.

Arrived. Installed. Oooh, shiny. Considerably less volume than the
old leaky washerful faucet, though. There are always tradeoffs.

I may be the only person left on earth who likes those rubber spray
attachments

Do you mean with the hose?

better than the aerator-things; if more people liked them
they'd be easier to find :-(

How could you get it installed so quickly, on a Saturday. You only
asked yesterday afternoon.

The url says it has a 360^ view but it's really only 180.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Peerless...05LF/203916778

Ordered that one from Amazon. It should arrive today. I ordered chrome
rather than SS finish. I have a nice SS-finish set in the bathroom
whose handle is worn down to the brass after maybe 10 or 15 years.
Chrome ought to be better, although the chrome plating on the last
Craftsman 10mm socket I bought peeled off with my thumbnail.

Arrived. Installed. Oooh, shiny. Considerably less volume than the
old leaky washerful faucet, though. There are always tradeoffs.

I may be the only person left on earth who likes those rubber spray
attachments

Do you mean with the hose?
better than the aerator-things; if more people liked them
they'd be easier to find :-(

How could you get it installed so quickly, on a Saturday. You only
asked yesterday afternoon.

I don't know about Bev, but I could get it installed that quickly because
my husband would do the work.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Peerless...05LF/203916778

Ordered that one from Amazon. It should arrive today. I ordered chrome
rather than SS finish. I have a nice SS-finish set in the bathroom
whose handle is worn down to the brass after maybe 10 or 15 years.
Chrome ought to be better, although the chrome plating on the last
Craftsman 10mm socket I bought peeled off with my thumbnail.

Arrived. Installed. Oooh, shiny. Considerably less volume than the
old leaky washerful faucet, though. There are always tradeoffs.

Some mfrs limit the flow (per state reg's) by putting extra screens in the aerator.

Where I live, the reg's limit the flow of a kitchen faucet, to save water. I think it's
counter-procuctive. If turning the water on full force doesn't get you a bath, you'll always
turn it on full force, because it's easier/simpler, even when you just need a littel water. If
you have a faucet that will give you a bath when you turn it on full force, you'll learn to be
careful, and only turn it enough to get the flow you need. the shower is another crazy story.
The reg's require a single valve that doesn't allow you to control both flow and temp. When
you get the temp you want, the flow is (or near) full flow. If you want flow control, you have
to install another valve somewhere between the main valve and the shower head, but that's not
required by the reg's. Absolutely looney!

I may be the only person left on earth who likes those rubber spray
attachments better than the aerator-things; if more people liked them
they'd be easier to find :-(

I remember those wonderful things, but haven't seen one in decades. Can you provide a source?

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What, these?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Side-Sprayer-in-Chrome-RP31612-3/205936156

We've got one. It's very handy for rinsing out the sink or the big pot in which
we make spaghetti sauce.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sounds to me that she means these types:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-Slip-...erator/3380212

https://www.amazon.com/Rotate-Swivel.../dp/B07QZPNP2J

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yup. They come in handy sometimes! Much better than doing it myself.
Same for car repair!

--
Cheers, Bev
If you are going to try cross-country skiing,
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd like a thing like that, but not enough to do the under-sink plumbing.

We've got one. It's very handy for rinsing out the sink or the big pot in which
we make spaghetti sauce.

Cindy Hamilton

Sounds to me that she means these types:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-Slip-...erator/3380212

Yes. Those are the ones. Eventually they rot and you have to buy
another one. NOT happy with the last one I bought -- it's really had to
flip the little lever.

https://www.amazon.com/Rotate-Swivel.../dp/B07QZPNP2J

I tried one of those and I hated it. It "aerated" and wouldn't cover
the area I wanted.

--
Cheers, Bev
If you are going to try cross-country skiing,
start with a small country.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Peerless...05LF/203916778

Ordered that one from Amazon. It should arrive today. I ordered chrome
rather than SS finish. I have a nice SS-finish set in the bathroom
whose handle is worn down to the brass after maybe 10 or 15 years.
Chrome ought to be better, although the chrome plating on the last
Craftsman 10mm socket I bought peeled off with my thumbnail.

Arrived. Installed. Oooh, shiny. Considerably less volume than the
old leaky washerful faucet, though. There are always tradeoffs.

Some mfrs limit the flow (per state reg's) by putting extra screens in the aerator.

Took that off immediately. I HATE those damn things. For one thing, if
you want to rinse off the thing you let cookies cool on you have to aim
at each damn wire.

Where I live, the reg's limit the flow of a kitchen faucet, to save water. I think it's
counter-procuctive. If turning the water on full force doesn't get you a bath, you'll always
turn it on full force, because it's easier/simpler, even when you just need a littel water. If
you have a faucet that will give you a bath when you turn it on full force, you'll learn to be
careful, and only turn it enough to get the flow you need. the shower is another crazy story.
The reg's require a single valve that doesn't allow you to control both flow and temp. When
you get the temp you want, the flow is (or near) full flow.

Then it's just broken. One of the showers at the gym was that way, but
the rest (similar controls) work properly. Turn for temp, pull for
flow. The staff didn't seem to understand the problem and it never got
fixed. Serve the *******s (24-Hour Fitness) right to go bankrupt! They
really skimped on all sorts of maintenance.

If you want flow control, you have
to install another valve somewhere between the main valve and the shower head, but that's not
required by the reg's. Absolutely looney!

My grandson bought some low-flow showerheads from Sharper Image that
were really good. You got a hard blast of water, but not a lot was needed.

I may be the only person left on earth who likes those rubber spray
attachments better than the aerator-things; if more people liked them
they'd be easier to find :-(

I remember those wonderful things, but haven't seen one in decades. Can you provide a source?

Ace Hardware was the only place I found.

--
Cheers, Bev
If you are going to try cross-country skiing,
start with a small country.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We have one similar to that second one, in addition to the side sprayer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My husband doesn't do cars. Although he maintains our lawn equipment,
he really hates internal combustion engines.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OTOH, Kalifornia is responsible for this travesty of a kitchen faucet.
From Delta:

"Thank you for contacting Peerless Faucet Company.
I’m sorry to hear that you’re having an issue with your flow rates and
I’m happy to help with this situation. I apologize for the flow rates
you are experiencing. However, California has changed their water laws
through the years. With California we are only allowed 1.5 GPM from the
kitchen faucet and 1.75 GPM from the shower head."

Apparently Kalifornia thinks that, like cats, we will stand there
watching our coffeepots overflow for the sheer joy of it, so restriction
is necesary to make us get bored before we waste water. Never mind
that golf courses use amazing quantities of potable water. If
artificial turf is good for homeowners, why not for golf courses?

These are the same people who are responsible for road diets and traffic
calming.

"Calm down, Citizen, we know what's good for you."

I may be the only person left on earth who likes those rubber spray
attachments better than the aerator-things; if more people liked them
they'd be easier to find :-(

I remember those wonderful things, but haven't seen one in decades. Can you provide a source?

Ace Hardware was the only place I found.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Many realize that the control of language is power. If you can't speak
your mind, your opinions have no weight." --nightfire-unique