Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Informed Delivery

Informed Delivery sent me an email today with pictures of 6 pieces of
mail. I thought it had a limit of 3, and sometimes it would say there
were more at the dashboard, but there were never more for that day. I
think they meant the previous 5 mail delivery days, which you can look
at also on the web.

And it is good because a few days ago I saw the speed camera ticket in
an email, so I could look for it among all the junk mail.

This service costs the governmet, I think, next to nothing, because the
sorting machines already take pictures of the mail while sorting. So
that just leaves writing one or two software programs and the cost of
email.

And btw Arlen, even before there was politics here, posts like this were
welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 9:22:47 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
Informed Delivery sent me an email today with pictures of 6 pieces of
mail. I thought it had a limit of 3, and sometimes it would say there
were more at the dashboard, but there were never more for that day. I
think they meant the previous 5 mail delivery days, which you can look
at also on the web.

And it is good because a few days ago I saw the speed camera ticket in
an email, so I could look for it among all the junk mail.

This service costs the governmet, I think, next to nothing, because the
sorting machines already take pictures of the mail while sorting. So
that just leaves writing one or two software programs and the cost of
email.

And btw Arlen, even before there was politics here, posts like this were
welcome.

Well, bully for you. What are you having for lunch today?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 09:22:39 -0500, micky
wrote:

Informed Delivery sent me an email today with pictures of 6 pieces of
mail. I thought it had a limit of 3, and sometimes it would say there
were more at the dashboard, but there were never more for that day. I
think they meant the previous 5 mail delivery days, which you can look
at also on the web.

And it is good because a few days ago I saw the speed camera ticket in
an email, so I could look for it among all the junk mail.

This service costs the governmet, I think, next to nothing, because the
sorting machines already take pictures of the mail while sorting. So
that just leaves writing one or two software programs and the cost of
email.

And btw Arlen, even before there was politics here, posts like this were
welcome.

The Informed Delivery infrastructure certainly makes it a lot easier
for the cops to run a warrantless "mail cover" on you, collecting an
image of both sides of every piece of mail you get.
I guess if you never do anything illegal, so what but they can build a
pretty good profile on you without any sort of probable cause.
Sleep tight, Big Brother is your friend. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I'm a little fuzzy on what the cops can get out of my junk mail. How useful
are newsletters for school districts that I'm not even in?

Google and Amazon have much better profiles on me than the cops could
ever get from my mail. I don't see why the government doing it is any
worse than commercial data miners.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/19/2021 02:25 PM, wrote:
I'm a little fuzzy on what the cops can get out of my junk mail. How useful
are newsletters for school districts that I'm not even in?

Yeah, my subscription to the Thunderbolt ran out decades ago... If they
want glossy campaign crap, I've got a ton. I've been using them for air
pistol targets in a completely non-partisan fashion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 19:50:55 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Yeah, my subscription to the Thunderbolt ran out decades ago... If they
want glossy campaign crap, I've got a ton. I've been using them for air
pistol targets in a completely non-partisan fashion.

Do you get some kind of tiny senile orgasm, every time you find an
opportunity to hear yourself talking, senile gossip?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 9:50:31 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 01/19/2021 02:25 PM, wrote:
I'm a little fuzzy on what the cops can get out of my junk mail. How useful
are newsletters for school districts that I'm not even in?

Yeah, my subscription to the Thunderbolt ran out decades ago... If they
want glossy campaign crap, I've got a ton. I've been using them for air
pistol targets

I thought that's what squirrels were for.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I agree. Unless you're running a mail fraud operation out of your home mailbox
or receiving illegal drug deliveries there, I think it has little value in proving crimes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/19/2021 02:25 PM, wrote:
I'm a little fuzzy on what the cops can get out of my junk mail. How useful
are newsletters for school districts that I'm not even in?

Yeah, my subscription to the Thunderbolt ran out decades ago... If they
want glossy campaign crap, I've got a ton. I've been using them for air
pistol targets

I thought that's what squirrels were for.

Very few squirrels around here; they stay in the city and collect
welfare. Seriously, the only hardwoods are cottonwood and a few aspen.
The little pine squirrels can survive on p. pine and Douglas fir cones
but the grays and foxes don't have a taste for them.

I see a grey every few years and I don't begrudge him some sunflower
seeds since they don't last long between the coyotes and eagles.

There are Columbia ground squirrels but they won't wake up until May.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 07:43:35 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Very few squirrels around here;

But all the more gossiping on your part around here, senile blabbermouth!
tsk

FLUSH more of the usual idiotic senile gossip

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It must have some value or the FBI would not use "mail covers" on
people they investigate.
I understand for a lot of people printed communication is a thing of
the past but there are still plenty of people who use the mail.
(you folks were telling us about it when "Trump slowed down the
mail").
They will be looking at the magazines you read, the groups that send
you newsletters, packages you receive and the source of letters you
get. If your return address is on your mail, they get who you are
sending mail to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It is not really solving crimes, it is just identifying suspects that
they then can investigate further. These days I suspect that if you
are receiving 80% lowers in the mail, people at ATF might start
looking at you a lot closer. If you added a few newsletters from
radical groups and perhaps some correspondence with a chemical
company, I would expect to see that plain white Crown Vic cruising by
your house frequently and people snatching your trash.
Some things are different.
These days you don't see Agent Youngblood climbing a pole in front of
your house to tap your phone. It is done with a few key strokes on a
computer and you don't have anything detectable on your line.

It is pretty much the same thing if they are sniffing packets from
your IP address for you digital only people. They can also sniff based
on the MAC address of your PC in case you always use a hot spot away
from the house.

It all depends on who is looking at you and how hard they want to
look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

No magazines, no newsletters. Packages mainly from Amazon and
one or two women's clothing online stores. No letters. Some stuff
from the Social Security Administration. Junk mail.

The could tap our phones and get the same boring results. Nothing
to see here. We don't even send out for pizza.

Even our e-mail is dull, dull, dull. And e-mail is how we get most
of our bills.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/19/2021 02:25 PM, wrote:
I'm a little fuzzy on what the cops can get out of my junk mail. How useful
are newsletters for school districts that I'm not even in?
Yeah, my subscription to the Thunderbolt ran out decades ago... If they
want glossy campaign crap, I've got a ton. I've been using them for air
pistol targets

I thought that's what squirrels were for.

Very few squirrels around here; they stay in the city and collect
welfare. Seriously, the only hardwoods are cottonwood and a few aspen.
The little pine squirrels can survive on p. pine and Douglas fir cones
but the grays and foxes don't have a taste for them.

I see a grey every few years and I don't begrudge him some sunflower
seeds since they don't last long between the coyotes and eagles.

There are Columbia ground squirrels but they won't wake up until May.

I am over run by Gray Squirrels.
I live in the land of live oaks. It is a native tree that is basically
a weed and developers plant them by the thousands to fill their quota
of approved landscape varieties. The squirrels assure you of a yard
full of baby oak trees when they spread the acorns around. I kill
hundreds of saplings with my lawn mower when I start the ritual summer
mowing. There are 4 huge trees here that came up wild and escaped the
mower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I don't have anything to hide either. That is why I post with my real
name.
Come and get me copper.
We can have a beer and talk about what a waste of time this
investigation was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/20/2021 01:58 PM, wrote:
The could tap our phones and get the same boring results. Nothing
to see here. We don't even send out for pizza.

About the only person I talk to is my ex. I try not to get her fired up
about Cuomo, DeBlasio, and so forth. She said one of her friends dropped
her because of her politics and religion so I steer clear.

Otherwise it's the assholes telling me the warranty on the car I bought
in March is expiring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 19:39:47 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 01/20/2021 01:58 PM, wrote:
The could tap our phones and get the same boring results. Nothing
to see here. We don't even send out for pizza.

About the only person I talk to is my ex. I try not to get her fired up
about Cuomo, DeBlasio, and so forth. She said one of her friends dropped
her because of her politics and religion so I steer clear.

Otherwise it's the assholes telling me the warranty on the car I bought
in March is expiring.

They keep telling me the warranty on my 97 Honda is expiring soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 19:39:47 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

About the only person I talk to is my ex.

Not to forget the many people on Usenet that you pester with your endless
senile gossip! ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 9:39:23 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 01/20/2021 01:58 PM, wrote:
The could tap our phones and get the same boring results. Nothing
to see here. We don't even send out for pizza.

About the only person I talk to is my ex. I try not to get her fired up
about Cuomo, DeBlasio, and so forth. She said one of her friends dropped
her because of her politics and religion so I steer clear.

Otherwise it's the assholes telling me the warranty on the car I bought
in March is expiring.

Ah, those assholes. I don't have the patience to ask what kind of warranty
they might give me on my 2004 Highlander. Or my husband's 2008
FJ Cruiser.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/20/2021 01:58 PM, wrote:
The could tap our phones and get the same boring results. Nothing
to see here. We don't even send out for pizza.

About the only person I talk to is my ex. I try not to get her fired up
about Cuomo, DeBlasio, and so forth. She said one of her friends dropped
her because of her politics and religion so I steer clear.

Otherwise it's the assholes telling me the warranty on the car I bought
in March is expiring.

Ah, those assholes. I don't have the patience to ask what kind of warranty
they might give me on my 2004 Highlander. Or my husband's 2008
FJ Cruiser.

I once kept them on the phone as long as I could just to waste their
time.

For my 2006 Scion XB they wanted $450/year.
I tried to talk them down but they insisted.

That $450 would be about $430 more than I've spent on repairs
since I bought it in 2006. I once had to buy a $20 part.

Now I've adopted a new tactic for telemarketers.
I have Nomorobo which blocks about 80% of the calls.
For the rest, I pick up and don't say anything.
If it's a human they'll eventually start talking.
If it's a machine it eventually hangs up.
I've noticed the number of calls I get seems to be dropping off.
The big payoff is when I don't hear which scam it is, I don't
get as mad.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/20/2021 01:58 PM, wrote:
The could tap our phones and get the same boring results. Nothing
to see here. We don't even send out for pizza.

About the only person I talk to is my ex. I try not to get her fired up
about Cuomo, DeBlasio, and so forth. She said one of her friends dropped
her because of her politics and religion so I steer clear.

Otherwise it's the assholes telling me the warranty on the car I bought
in March is expiring.

Ah, those assholes. I don't have the patience to ask what kind of warranty
they might give me on my 2004 Highlander. Or my husband's 2008
FJ Cruiser.

Cindy Hamilton

They might have a good deal for my '86 F150....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 07:56:19 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Ah, those assholes. I don't have the patience to ask what kind of warranty
they might give me on my 2004 Highlander. Or my husband's 2008
FJ Cruiser.

Cindy Hamilton

They might have a good deal for my '86 F150....

Well, TALK to them! Maybe they like to hear you talking as much as you do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 08:09:03 -0500, Dan Espen posted for all of us to digest...

On 01/20/2021 01:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

Hmm, that is a novel approach I haven't tried. Thanks, I'm always ready to
steal a good idea.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/20/2021 01:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

The thing I've always wondered about is what kind of pinhead would do
business with one of these calling companies when their first contact
with you makes them a lawbreaker...

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/20/2021 01:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

These days I usually let my machine pick up. They hang up on a
machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/20/2021 01:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

Because people don't think. They react.

My mother was twice caught in an e-mail scam and gave them access to
her bank account. I hollered at her pretty hard the second time, especially
since both times they did something that prevented her from logging on to
her PC, which is where she orders her groceries. I never got the details; she
called the Geed Squad to get her out of it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/21 7:09 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

[snip]

Now I've adopted a new tactic for telemarketers.
I have Nomorobo which blocks about 80% of the calls.
For the rest, I pick up and don't say anything.
If it's a human they'll eventually start talking.
If it's a machine it eventually hangs up.
I've noticed the number of calls I get seems to be dropping off.
The big payoff is when I don't hear which scam it is, I don't
get as mad.

I still don't answer calls where the caller ID NAME is in the form of
city ST like "DALLAS TX" or "PITTSVILLE OH" or a few hings like "TOLL
FREE CALL" or "Out Of Area" (also unfamiliar or ambiguous company
names). People say using the CID NAME is useless. I ave no idea why,
since this matches the majority of the junk calls I get.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as
false, and by the rulers as useful." [Seneca the Younger (4? B.C. - 65
A.D.)]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 12:31:50 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 1/21/21 7:09 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

[snip]

Now I've adopted a new tactic for telemarketers.
I have Nomorobo which blocks about 80% of the calls.
For the rest, I pick up and don't say anything.
If it's a human they'll eventually start talking.
If it's a machine it eventually hangs up.
I've noticed the number of calls I get seems to be dropping off.
The big payoff is when I don't hear which scam it is, I don't
get as mad.

I still don't answer calls where the caller ID NAME is in the form of
city ST like "DALLAS TX" or "PITTSVILLE OH" or a few hings like "TOLL
FREE CALL" or "Out Of Area" (also unfamiliar or ambiguous company
names). People say using the CID NAME is useless. I ave no idea why,
since this matches the majority of the junk calls I get.

They probably say it's useless because with only a tiny bit of effort
callers can make it say whatever they want. The call center making a call
to me is likely to have my area code and prefix on the CID while a
simultaneous call going out to you might have your area code and prefix. Or
whatever they want it to say, of course, even if they put your own number
in there as the calling party.