Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Informed Delivery

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 03:58:16 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 4:25:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 3:17:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 09:22:39 -0500, micky
wrote:
Informed Delivery sent me an email today with pictures of 6 pieces of
mail. I thought it had a limit of 3, and sometimes it would say there
were more at the dashboard, but there were never more for that day. I
think they meant the previous 5 mail delivery days, which you can look
at also on the web.

And it is good because a few days ago I saw the speed camera ticket in
an email, so I could look for it among all the junk mail.

This service costs the governmet, I think, next to nothing, because the
sorting machines already take pictures of the mail while sorting. So
that just leaves writing one or two software programs and the cost of
email.

And btw Arlen, even before there was politics here, posts like this were
welcome.
The Informed Delivery infrastructure certainly makes it a lot easier
for the cops to run a warrantless "mail cover" on you, collecting an
image of both sides of every piece of mail you get.
I guess if you never do anything illegal, so what but they can build a
pretty good profile on you without any sort of probable cause.
Sleep tight, Big Brother is your friend. ;-)

I'm a little fuzzy on what the cops can get out of my junk mail. How useful
are newsletters for school districts that I'm not even in?

Google and Amazon have much better profiles on me than the cops could
ever get from my mail. I don't see why the government doing it is any
worse than commercial data miners.

Cindy Hamilton

I agree. Unless you're running a mail fraud operation out of your home mailbox
or receiving illegal drug deliveries there, I think it has little value in proving crimes.

It is not really solving crimes, it is just identifying suspects that
they then can investigate further. These days I suspect that if you
are receiving 80% lowers in the mail, people at ATF might start
looking at you a lot closer. If you added a few newsletters from
radical groups and perhaps some correspondence with a chemical
company, I would expect to see that plain white Crown Vic cruising by
your house frequently and people snatching your trash.
Some things are different.
These days you don't see Agent Youngblood climbing a pole in front of
your house to tap your phone. It is done with a few key strokes on a
computer and you don't have anything detectable on your line.

It is pretty much the same thing if they are sniffing packets from
your IP address for you digital only people. They can also sniff based
on the MAC address of your PC in case you always use a hot spot away
from the house.

It all depends on who is looking at you and how hard they want to
look.