Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Informed Delivery

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 12:58:41 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 3:15:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:25:11 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 3:17:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 09:22:39 -0500, micky
wrote:
Informed Delivery sent me an email today with pictures of 6 pieces of
mail. I thought it had a limit of 3, and sometimes it would say there
were more at the dashboard, but there were never more for that day. I
think they meant the previous 5 mail delivery days, which you can look
at also on the web.

And it is good because a few days ago I saw the speed camera ticket in
an email, so I could look for it among all the junk mail.

This service costs the governmet, I think, next to nothing, because the
sorting machines already take pictures of the mail while sorting. So
that just leaves writing one or two software programs and the cost of
email.

And btw Arlen, even before there was politics here, posts like this were
welcome.
The Informed Delivery infrastructure certainly makes it a lot easier
for the cops to run a warrantless "mail cover" on you, collecting an
image of both sides of every piece of mail you get.
I guess if you never do anything illegal, so what but they can build a
pretty good profile on you without any sort of probable cause.
Sleep tight, Big Brother is your friend. ;-)

I'm a little fuzzy on what the cops can get out of my junk mail. How useful
are newsletters for school districts that I'm not even in?

Google and Amazon have much better profiles on me than the cops could
ever get from my mail. I don't see why the government doing it is any
worse than commercial data miners.

Cindy Hamilton

It must have some value or the FBI would not use "mail covers" on
people they investigate.
I understand for a lot of people printed communication is a thing of
the past but there are still plenty of people who use the mail.
(you folks were telling us about it when "Trump slowed down the
mail").
They will be looking at the magazines you read, the groups that send
you newsletters, packages you receive and the source of letters you
get. If your return address is on your mail, they get who you are
sending mail to.

No magazines, no newsletters. Packages mainly from Amazon and
one or two women's clothing online stores. No letters. Some stuff
from the Social Security Administration. Junk mail.

The could tap our phones and get the same boring results. Nothing
to see here. We don't even send out for pizza.

Even our e-mail is dull, dull, dull. And e-mail is how we get most
of our bills.

Cindy Hamilton

I don't have anything to hide either. That is why I post with my real
name.
Come and get me copper.
We can have a beer and talk about what a waste of time this
investigation was.