Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tire question

On 2020-11-14 17:39, rbowman wrote:
On 11/14/2020 05:28 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-11-14 16:12, Frank wrote:
On 11/14/2020 3:30 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.
He is very conservative BTW.

So are the both of use!!

Today I drive a 2019 Crosstrek and get over 30 mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

That is what I told Maverick.Â* They claim it is their
suppliers doing it.Â*Â* Hmmmmmmmmm...

It may be worth researching ethanol subsidies.

https://www.taxpayer.net/energy-natu...ased-biofuels/

That **** needs to stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.
He is very conservative BTW.

So are the both of use!!

Today I drive a 2019 Crosstrek and get over 30 mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

That is what I told Maverick.Â* They claim it is their
suppliers doing it.Â*Â* Hmmmmmmmmm...

It may be worth researching ethanol subsidies.

https://www.taxpayer.net/energy-natu...ased-biofuels/

That **** needs to stop.

The article mentions the Commodity Credit Corporation. It
started in the 1930s.
I guess the thinking was that there were already too many unemployed
people in the cities. The country's leaders didn't want a bunch of
farmers going broke and moving
to the cities. Farmers would have been ill equipped to deal with city
life.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity_Credit_Corporation
Executive orders existed back then. This is another example of a
government
agency that seems to have found eternal life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.
He is very conservative BTW.

So are the both of use!!

Today I drive a 2019 Crosstrek and get over 30 mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

That is what I told Maverick.Â* They claim it is their
suppliers doing it.Â*Â* Hmmmmmmmmm...

It may be worth researching ethanol subsidies.

https://www.taxpayer.net/energy-natu...ased-biofuels/

An ethanol plant by York, NE is donating part of its production
to the state.
https://yorknewstimes.com/news/local/green-plains-in-york-donating-ethanol-for-hand-sanitizer-production/article_b294e3c4-6d8e-11ea-b64a-e36b55a81080.html
Their public relations department didn't let this pass by without
tooting the company's
horn.
Over 40% of farm income will come from insurance and subsidies in
2020.
https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/news/2020/09/28/over-40-farm-income-come-federal-payments-year/3562898001/
This has been going on for years. I remember a farm program when
the storage was sealed. Farmers weren't supposed to use or sell any of
the sealed grain. There was something called the Payment in Kind
program. Farmers had to leave some of their land idle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.Â* He
is veryÂ*conservativeÂ*BTW.

So are the both of use!!

TodayÂ*IÂ*driveÂ*aÂ*2019Â*CrosstrekÂ*andÂ*getÂ*ove rÂ*30Â*mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

It makes sense to everyone with even a slight understanding of
economics. Supply and Demand. Low demand, low supply,
little competition results in high
prices. High demand, High supply, competition results in low prices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.Â* He
is veryÂ*conservativeÂ*BTW.

So are the both of use!!

TodayÂ*IÂ*driveÂ*aÂ*2019Â*CrosstrekÂ*andÂ*getÂ*ove rÂ*30Â*mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

It makes sense to everyone with even a slight understanding of
economics. Supply and Demand. Low demand, low supply,
little competition results in high
prices. High demand, High supply, competition results in low prices.

Of course I understand that. Perhaps alcohol free is there but not
readily available. If it were, it would undercut the blend as the blend
costs more to make.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2020 07:16 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
The article mentions the Commodity Credit Corporation. It started
in the 1930s.
I guess the thinking was that there were already too many unemployed
people in the cities. The country's leaders didn't want a bunch of
farmers going broke and moving
to the cities. Farmers would have been ill equipped to deal with city
life.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity_Credit_Corporation
Executive orders existed back then. This is another example of a
government
agency that seems to have found eternal life.

Like everything else, that has history. WWI put European farming on
hold, raising commodity prices. Good times, and American farmers bought
land and put it under the plow. Labor was scarce so they bought modern
equipment, on credit of course. Wars don't last forever, Europe got back
to normal, and Russia became a net exporter. The process was harsh but
the Communists dragged Soviet agriculture into the 20th century too.

With prices down the mortgage payments didn't stop and many farmers were
in trouble. A local woman recalled the times. Her family was getting by
barely. Arsenic compounds were used in an attempt to control the hoppers.

https://livinghistoryfarm.org/farmin.../pests_03.html

Her father mixed up a batch and was out spreading it when a neighbor
came across the fields to ask if he could have some. The neighbor wasn't
getting by at all and had another use in mind for the arsenic.

She was a crusty old woman and the story came out when someone said at
least a farmer could weather a depression. Her reply was 'Bull****!' and
her story.

At least in the '30s the subsidies were an attempt to save to small
farmers. By the Butz era he could say 'We've got too damn many farmers.
Get big or get out!' and the agribusiness companies grew.

The US may not have a Chinese style planned economy but the government's
subsidies, tariffs, and regulations try hard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/20 6:12 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more

There's 2 or 3 places near where I live that have it. People are willing
to may more.

--
40 days until the winter celebration (Fri, Dec 25, 2020 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The fact that there is a general belief in a future life is no evidence
of its truth." [Clarence Darrow]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/11/20 3:36 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 21:37:41 -0800, T posted for all of us to
digest...

Hi All,

Forrester 2006

My mechanic says these are the two quietest P225/50 R16
tires

Which one of these would be a quieter tire?* Do you
guys have a preference?

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid-ascend-lx
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/de...ender-t-h.html

Any reliability issues with these two (they are not
Firestone).

Many thanks,
-T

T, it's hard for us to make an assessment as we may not own a
Forester
with
either of those two brands. I have had Yokes in the past and they
were
OK,
though if the vehicle sat for more than a day they flat spotted,
which
IMO
would not disqualify them. The Mich's will probably be quieter,
but more
expensive. Much of road noise issue is determined by the road
surface
you are
driving along. Both are good, a toss up from here...

* **** Consumer Reports doesn't have them rated.
The highest rated all season tire is Toyo Versado Noir.** Supposed to
last 75,000 miles.* $99* Rated 60
* *The highest rated sport performance tire is the Goodyear Eagle
Sport All Season.* Expected thread life 80,000 miles*** $115 Rated 58
* *They also rated ultra high performance all season tires.* This is
the highest rated among those.
General G-MAX AS-05
225/50ZR16
Price: $112
* * Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use

I am looking for noise.* I have an appointment with my
mechanic to change my wheel bearing at the same time.
They have ~120,000 on them, so it is time.

Never changed a wheel bearing yet, even on vehicles with twice that
mileage.

I remember my father having one rear bearing changed when I was a kid
when we had an Oldsmobile station wagon with a boat on a trailer and
two adults and 7 kids starting a trip from Detroit to Spokane. Never
had one myself. I have rarely had a vehicle with less than 100,000
miles.

Damned thing do still work.* They just get LOUD at high
speed as they age.* Subaru recommends your change them
at 120K miles.* I can't understand someone talking to
me in the passenger seat at 55 MPH.

Looking at newer Forester maintenance manual it calls just for
inspection of wheel bearings at 60,000 and 120,000 miles.

You could probably check yourself:

https://www.yourmechanic.com/estimat...gs-replacement

Other sites say bearings don't last much longer than 100,000 miles on
Subaru's.

We are on our 5 Subaru but not yet had one last that long.* Two were
totaled and I traded in one 13 year old one as the head gasket was going
for the second time.* That can be a big problem on Subaru's of that
vintage.* Happened to both me and a son's.* Out of warranty but when
complaining to Subaru we both got partial reimbursement.

Already gone through the head gasket thing. And the
rubber band thing (timing band).

The newer ones don't use a rubber band.

"Supposedly" Subi's are preferred by liberals. I keep
telling them no self respecting liberal would be without
a Volvo or a Prius.

Subi's are damned fun to drive.

Spelled backwards, you get "Ur-a-bus"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2020 12:59 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/14/20 6:12 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more

There's 2 or 3 places near where I live that have it. People are willing
to may more.

I think that confirms my thought that it is not that widely available
where it is available.

I had a friend that was a refinery superintendent and he said the
cheapest stuff they could make was plain old vanilla gasoline, the same
stuff day after day. I saw that when I worked in textile fibers R&D
where we could crank out something like polyester staple in over 99%
yield 24/7 for months where biggest loses where when you had to crank
out a minor modification and yields were low because of transition down
times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 17:10:06 -0800, Bob F wrote:

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.
He is very*conservative*BTW.

So are the both of use!!

Today*I*drive*a*2019*Crosstrek*and*get*over*30*mpg .

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

Hmmmm, 15,000 stations but none in DE.
https://www.pure-gas.org/

No idea on the price aside from "because we can"* On a car forum a guy
did tests and he got roughly 22 mpg on ethanol, 24 mpg on straight gas
so the cost per miles was the same for him

I know of one station near me that sells lead free gas. It is not cheap,
probably because not much of it is sold. I bought some for my 2 stroke
equipment.

Around here it's not cheap either, because it is only PREMIUM gas -
but about half of the stations' premium is lead free

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-15 08:15, Scott Lurndal wrote:
They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

It makes sense to everyone with even a slight understanding of
economics. Supply and Demand. Low demand, low supply,
little competition results in high
prices. High demand, High supply, competition results in low prices.

Ya and the good stuff is required to make the alcohol mixture,
so the good stuff has a demand.

It is the marketing side that is in question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-15 08:15, Scott Lurndal wrote:
They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

It makes sense to everyone with even a slight understanding of
economics. Supply and Demand. Low demand, low supply,
little competition results in high
prices. High demand, High supply, competition results in low prices.

Ya and the good stuff is required to make the alcohol mixture,
so the good stuff has a demand.

Its' more that the refineries need to tool up to make the particular
blend. They have more production and storage capacity to make blends,
because that's what sells the most.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2020 5:59 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 16:54:45 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)

On 2020-11-15 08:15, Scott Lurndal wrote:
They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

It makes sense to everyone with even a slight understanding of
economics. Supply and Demand. Low demand, low supply,
little competition results in high
prices. High demand, High supply, competition results in low prices.

Ya and the good stuff is required to make the alcohol mixture,
so the good stuff has a demand.

Its' more that the refineries need to tool up to make the particular
blend. They have more production and storage capacity to make blends,
because that's what sells the most.

Except the blending isn't necessarily done at the refinery. The same
refinery makes the fuel for numerous companies, and the additive pack
is added after it leaves the refinery. In some cases it's at the "tank
farm" where a barrel of additive id dumped into the truck bedore it is
filled with gasoline - or a metered amount of ethanol is added before
filling with gasoline.

You cannot pipeline the ethanol blend unless you have new pipes or have
cleaned the old ones so it has to be trucked. I believe I mentioned
when they brought the blend in too a nearby area of PA, pumps were down
for about two weeks while they replaced tanks or cleaned out the old
ones as ethanol containing gasoline would remove any gunk deposited by
the ethanol free gasoline.

Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer oldjag Metalworking 19 November 28th 19 11:18 PM
Tire repair question Bewildered Home Repair 15 January 19th 07 05:44 AM
OT - Tire tube question stone Metalworking 5 February 13th 06 07:28 PM
Jeep Cherokee Sport 1999 tire question! oktokie Home Repair 4 June 16th 04 07:27 PM
Band saw tire (Craftsman) Cuezilla Metalworking 2 August 15th 03 09:17 AM