Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tire question

Hi All,

Forrester 2006

My mechanic says these are the two quietest P225/50 R16
tires

Which one of these would be a quieter tire? Do you
guys have a preference?

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid-ascend-lx
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/de...ender-t-h.html

Any reliability issues with these two (they are not
Firestone).

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 21:37:41 -0800, T posted for all of us to digest...

Hi All,

Forrester 2006

My mechanic says these are the two quietest P225/50 R16
tires

Which one of these would be a quieter tire? Do you
guys have a preference?

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid-ascend-lx
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/de...ender-t-h.html

Any reliability issues with these two (they are not
Firestone).

Many thanks,
-T

T, it's hard for us to make an assessment as we may not own a Forester with
either of those two brands. I have had Yokes in the past and they were OK,
though if the vehicle sat for more than a day they flat spotted, which IMO
would not disqualify them. The Mich's will probably be quieter, but more
expensive. Much of road noise issue is determined by the road surface you are
driving along. Both are good, a toss up from here...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/20 3:36 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

[...]

Consumer Reports doesn't have them rated.
The highest rated all season tire is Toyo Versado Noir. Supposed to
last 75,000 miles. $99 Rated 60
The highest rated sport performance tire is the Goodyear Eagle
Sport All Season. Expected thread life 80,000 miles $115 Rated 58
They also rated ultra high performance all season tires. This is
the highest rated among those.
General G-MAX AS-05
225/50ZR16
Price: $112
Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/11/20 3:36 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 21:37:41 -0800, T posted for all of us to digest...

Hi All,

Forrester 2006

My mechanic says these are the two quietest P225/50 R16
tires

Which one of these would be a quieter tire?Â* Do you
guys have a preference?

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid-ascend-lx
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/de...ender-t-h.html

Any reliability issues with these two (they are not
Firestone).

Many thanks,
-T

T, it's hard for us to make an assessment as we may not own a Forester
with
either of those two brands. I have had Yokes in the past and they were
OK,
though if the vehicle sat for more than a day they flat spotted, which
IMO
would not disqualify them. The Mich's will probably be quieter, but more
expensive. Much of road noise issue is determined by the road surface
you are
driving along. Both are good, a toss up from here...

Â*Â*Â*Â* Consumer Reports doesn't have them rated.
The highest rated all season tire is Toyo Versado Noir.Â*Â* Supposed to
last 75,000 miles.Â* $99Â* Rated 60
Â*The highest rated sport performance tire is the Goodyear Eagle
Sport All Season.Â* Expected thread life 80,000 milesÂ*Â*Â* $115Â*Â*Â* Rated 58
Â*They also rated ultra high performance all season tires.Â* This is
the highest rated among those.
General G-MAX AS-05
225/50ZR16
Price: $112
Â* Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use

I am looking for noise. I have an appointment with my
mechanic to change my wheel bearing at the same time.
They have ~120,000 on them, so it is time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/20 6:05 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Consumer Reports doesn't have them rated.
The highest rated all season tire is Toyo Versado Noir.Â*Â* Supposed to
last 75,000 miles.Â* $99Â* Rated 60
Â*Â*The highest rated sport performance tire is the Goodyear Eagle
Sport All Season.Â* Expected thread life 80,000 milesÂ*Â*Â* $115Â*Â*Â* Rated 58
Â*Â*They also rated ultra high performance all season tires.Â* This is
the highest rated among those.
General G-MAX AS-05
225/50ZR16
Price: $112
Â*Â* Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use

I am looking for noise.Â* I have an appointment with my
mechanic to change my wheel bearing at the same time.
They have ~120,000 on them, so it is time.

The Toyo is rated very good for noise.
The Good Year Eagle Sport All Season is rated excellent for noise.
The General is rated very good for noise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-12 16:26, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/12/20 6:05 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The Toyo is rated very good for noise.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The Good Year Eagle Sport All Season is rated excellent for noise.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The General is rated very good for noise.

Thank you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 7:05:16 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Never changed a wheel bearing yet, even on vehicles with twice that mileage..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

I remember my father having one rear bearing changed when I was a kid
when we had an Oldsmobile station wagon with a boat on a trailer and two
adults and 7 kids starting a trip from Detroit to Spokane. Never had one
myself. I have rarely had a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

I had a wheel bearing changed under warranty once, but I consider that an
exception. No one I know changes wheel bearings unless they fail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 4:36:47 PM UTC-5, Tekkie© wrote:
[...]

+1

It shows the faulty logic of where Mr. T gets his advice to form
opinions. Google broken again?

Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer oldjag Metalworking 19 November 28th 19 11:18 PM
Tire repair question Bewildered Home Repair 15 January 19th 07 05:44 AM
OT - Tire tube question stone Metalworking 5 February 13th 06 07:28 PM
Jeep Cherokee Sport 1999 tire question! oktokie Home Repair 4 June 16th 04 07:27 PM
Band saw tire (Craftsman) Cuezilla Metalworking 2 August 15th 03 09:17 AM