DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tire question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/681739-tire-question.html)

T[_6_] November 5th 20 05:37 AM

Tire question

Hi All,

Forrester 2006

My mechanic says these are the two quietest P225/50 R16
tires

Which one of these would be a quieter tire? Do you
guys have a preference?

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid-ascend-lx
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/de...ender-t-h.html

Any reliability issues with these two (they are not
Firestone).

Many thanks,
-T

Tekkie© November 11th 20 09:36 PM

Tire question

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 21:37:41 -0800, T posted for all of us to digest...

Hi All,

Forrester 2006

My mechanic says these are the two quietest P225/50 R16
tires

Which one of these would be a quieter tire? Do you
guys have a preference?

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid-ascend-lx
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/de...ender-t-h.html

Any reliability issues with these two (they are not
Firestone).

Many thanks,
-T

T, it's hard for us to make an assessment as we may not own a Forester with
either of those two brands. I have had Yokes in the past and they were OK,
though if the vehicle sat for more than a day they flat spotted, which IMO
would not disqualify them. The Mich's will probably be quieter, but more
expensive. Much of road noise issue is determined by the road surface you are
driving along. Both are good, a toss up from here...

--
Tekkie

Dean Hoffman[_17_] November 11th 20 10:14 PM

Tire question

On 11/11/20 3:36 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

[...]

Consumer Reports doesn't have them rated.
The highest rated all season tire is Toyo Versado Noir. Supposed to
last 75,000 miles. $99 Rated 60
The highest rated sport performance tire is the Goodyear Eagle
Sport All Season. Expected thread life 80,000 miles $115 Rated 58
They also rated ultra high performance all season tires. This is
the highest rated among those.
General G-MAX AS-05
225/50ZR16
Price: $112
Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use

trader_4 November 11th 20 10:18 PM

Tire question

On Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 4:36:47 PM UTC-5, Tekkie© wrote:
[...]

+1

It shows the faulty logic of where Mr. T gets his advice to form
opinions. Google broken again?

T[_6_] November 13th 20 12:05 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/11/20 3:36 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 21:37:41 -0800, T posted for all of us to digest...

Hi All,

Forrester 2006

My mechanic says these are the two quietest P225/50 R16
tires

Which one of these would be a quieter tire?Â* Do you
guys have a preference?

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid-ascend-lx
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/de...ender-t-h.html

Any reliability issues with these two (they are not
Firestone).

Many thanks,
-T

T, it's hard for us to make an assessment as we may not own a Forester
with
either of those two brands. I have had Yokes in the past and they were
OK,
though if the vehicle sat for more than a day they flat spotted, which
IMO
would not disqualify them. The Mich's will probably be quieter, but more
expensive. Much of road noise issue is determined by the road surface
you are
driving along. Both are good, a toss up from here...

Â*Â*Â*Â* Consumer Reports doesn't have them rated.
The highest rated all season tire is Toyo Versado Noir.Â*Â* Supposed to
last 75,000 miles.Â* $99Â* Rated 60
Â*The highest rated sport performance tire is the Goodyear Eagle
Sport All Season.Â* Expected thread life 80,000 milesÂ*Â*Â* $115Â*Â*Â* Rated 58
Â*They also rated ultra high performance all season tires.Â* This is
the highest rated among those.
General G-MAX AS-05
225/50ZR16
Price: $112
Â* Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use

I am looking for noise. I have an appointment with my
mechanic to change my wheel bearing at the same time.
They have ~120,000 on them, so it is time.

Dean Hoffman[_17_] November 13th 20 12:26 AM

Tire question

On 11/12/20 6:05 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Consumer Reports doesn't have them rated.
The highest rated all season tire is Toyo Versado Noir.Â*Â* Supposed to
last 75,000 miles.Â* $99Â* Rated 60
Â*Â*The highest rated sport performance tire is the Goodyear Eagle
Sport All Season.Â* Expected thread life 80,000 milesÂ*Â*Â* $115Â*Â*Â* Rated 58
Â*Â*They also rated ultra high performance all season tires.Â* This is
the highest rated among those.
General G-MAX AS-05
225/50ZR16
Price: $112
Â*Â* Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use

I am looking for noise.Â* I have an appointment with my
mechanic to change my wheel bearing at the same time.
They have ~120,000 on them, so it is time.

The Toyo is rated very good for noise.
The Good Year Eagle Sport All Season is rated excellent for noise.
The General is rated very good for noise.

T[_6_] November 13th 20 03:56 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-12 16:26, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/12/20 6:05 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The Toyo is rated very good for noise.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The Good Year Eagle Sport All Season is rated excellent for noise.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The General is rated very good for noise.

Thank you!

trader_4 November 13th 20 01:42 PM

Tire question

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 7:05:16 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Never changed a wheel bearing yet, even on vehicles with twice that mileage..

Bob F November 13th 20 05:52 PM

Tire question

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

I remember my father having one rear bearing changed when I was a kid
when we had an Oldsmobile station wagon with a boat on a trailer and two
adults and 7 kids starting a trip from Detroit to Spokane. Never had one
myself. I have rarely had a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles.

Jim Joyce November 13th 20 07:50 PM

Tire question

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

I had a wheel bearing changed under warranty once, but I consider that an
exception. No one I know changes wheel bearings unless they fail.

T[_6_] November 13th 20 08:06 PM

Tire question

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Rated 58
Â* Â*They also rated ultra high performance all season tires.Â* This is
the highest rated among those.
General G-MAX AS-05
225/50ZR16
Price: $112
Â* Â* Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use

I am looking for noise.Â* I have an appointment with my
mechanic to change my wheel bearing at the same time.
They have ~120,000 on them, so it is time.

Never changed a wheel bearing yet, even on vehicles with twice that
mileage.

I remember my father having one rear bearing changed when I was a kid
when we had an Oldsmobile station wagon with a boat on a trailer and two
adults and 7 kids starting a trip from Detroit to Spokane. Never had one
myself. I have rarely had a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles.

Damned thing do still work. They just get LOUD at high
speed as they age. Subaru recommends your change them
at 120K miles. I can't understand someone talking to
me in the passenger seat at 55 MPH.

Frank[_24_] November 14th 20 12:24 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Sport All Season.Â* Expected thread life 80,000 milesÂ*Â*Â* $115 Rated 58
Â* Â*They also rated ultra high performance all season tires.Â* This is
the highest rated among those.
General G-MAX AS-05
225/50ZR16
Price: $112
Â* Â* Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use

I am looking for noise.Â* I have an appointment with my
mechanic to change my wheel bearing at the same time.
They have ~120,000 on them, so it is time.

Never changed a wheel bearing yet, even on vehicles with twice that
mileage.

I remember my father having one rear bearing changed when I was a kid
when we had an Oldsmobile station wagon with a boat on a trailer and
two adults and 7 kids starting a trip from Detroit to Spokane. Never
had one myself. I have rarely had a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles.

Damned thing do still work.Â* They just get LOUD at high
speed as they age.Â* Subaru recommends your change them
at 120K miles.Â* I can't understand someone talking to
me in the passenger seat at 55 MPH.

Looking at newer Forester maintenance manual it calls just for
inspection of wheel bearings at 60,000 and 120,000 miles.

You could probably check yourself:

https://www.yourmechanic.com/estimat...gs-replacement

Other sites say bearings don't last much longer than 100,000 miles on
Subaru's.

We are on our 5 Subaru but not yet had one last that long. Two were
totaled and I traded in one 13 year old one as the head gasket was going
for the second time. That can be a big problem on Subaru's of that
vintage. Happened to both me and a son's. Out of warranty but when
complaining to Subaru we both got partial reimbursement.

T[_6_] November 14th 20 01:02 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

We are on our 5 Subaru but not yet had one last that long.Â* Two were
totaled and I traded in one 13 year old one as the head gasket was going
for the second time.Â* That can be a big problem on Subaru's of that
vintage.Â* Happened to both me and a son's.Â* Out of warranty but when
complaining to Subaru we both got partial reimbursement.

Already gone through the head gasket thing. And the
rubber band thing (timing band).

The newer ones don't use a rubber band.

"Supposedly" Subi's are preferred by liberals. I keep
telling them no self respecting liberal would be without
a Volvo or a Prius.

Subi's are damned fun to drive.

Dean Hoffman[_17_] November 14th 20 02:37 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

going for the second time.Â* That can be a big problem on Subaru's of
that vintage.Â* Happened to both me and a son's.Â* Out of warranty but
when complaining to Subaru we both got partial reimbursement.

Already gone through the head gasket thing.Â* And the
rubber band thing (timing band).

The newer ones don't use a rubber band.

"Supposedly" Subi's are preferred by liberals.Â* I keep
telling them no self respecting liberal would be without
a Volvo or a Prius.

Subi's are damned fun to drive.

I had a 2.5 RS Impreza. It had a five speed manual. One
kid thought he wanted to buy it until I mentioned the transmission.
One would probably have to look really hard to find a new car that
has such the thing. I remember the old three on the tree but have
never driven one.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] November 14th 20 04:19 AM

Tire question

On 11/13/2020 9:37 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â* I had a 2.5 RS Impreza.Â* It had a five speed manual.Â*Â* One
kid thought he wanted to buy it until I mentioned the transmission.
One would probably have to look really hard to find a new car that
has such the thing.Â* I remember the old three on the tree but have
never driven one.

The three on a tree was very common into about the 60s. I learned to
drive stick with a '58 Chevy Sedan delivery. It was like a station
wagon with no back windows and I did deliveries for a grocery store.

I also learned how to double clutch so I could shift into first while
still moving as first gear was not synchronized.

rbowman November 14th 20 04:53 AM

Tire question

On 11/13/2020 09:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The three on a tree was very common into about the 60s. I learned to
drive stick with a '58 Chevy Sedan delivery. It was like a station
wagon with no back windows and I did deliveries for a grocery store.

iirc the latest three on the tree I drove was the family '65 Dodge. I
had a Dodge pickup after that but I think it was a '62. I learned on a
'57 Chevy three and legally on a '62 Rambler Classic 3. I owned a '51
Chevy with a 3 too. I think all the rest of my manual transmissions were
floor shift.

A girlfriend had an elderly Saab 96 with a column shift among its other
oddities. We lived out in the woods and she liked the FWD.

The synchro rings were a problem even if it was supposed to be a
synchronized transmission. They were a bronze ring with a grooved taper.
As they wore smooth the grab on the gear they were supposed to be
synchronizing became problematic. Three speeds were simple so replacing
them wasn't a major operation.

Peeler[_4_] November 14th 20 08:34 AM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 21:53:44 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

iirc the latest three on the tree I drove was the family '65 Dodge. I
had a Dodge pickup after that but I think it was a '62.

Oh, no! Not yet more senile reminiscences by the resident senile trumptard!
What has Usenet come to? LOL

Clare Snyder November 14th 20 08:40 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Replaced 2 on the Taurus at under 130.000Km and one on the Kia at
$138,000Km. None on the 88 New Yorker at 240,000 and none on the
ranger at 373,000. None on the Aerostar at 240,000.
The ones on the Taurus may not have been necessary - we were chasing
a noise that ended up finally dissapearing when I replaced the tires -
- - . The one on the Kia was noisy and perceptibly loose - replacing
it solved the noise.

Clare Snyder November 14th 20 08:42 AM

Tire question

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 20:37:18 -0600, Dean Hoffman

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

How about FOUR in the tree -Peugot and Renault and a few others

Clare Snyder November 14th 20 08:47 AM

Tire question

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 23:19:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/13/2020 9:37 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

**** I had a 2.5 RS Impreza.* It had a five speed manual.** One
kid thought he wanted to buy it until I mentioned the transmission.
One would probably have to look really hard to find a new car that
has such the thing.* I remember the old three on the tree but have
never driven one.

The three on a tree was very common into about the 60s. I learned to
drive stick with a '58 Chevy Sedan delivery. It was like a station
wagon with no back windows and I did deliveries for a grocery store.

I also learned how to double clutch so I could shift into first while
still moving as first gear was not synchronized.

Kalija (the old powerwagon tow truck) had no syncros at all and
rather than double clutch I generally rev matched and shifted without
the clutch. I ground a few pounds - but so did the boss double
clutching. Learned to drive "stick" on the 44 Massey with a sector
hand throttle. Now THAT took some concentration to shift on the fly
!!!!

Frank[_24_] November 14th 20 01:05 PM

Tire question

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

I live on a hill side and like the fact that they come with standard
AWD. Also got me places hunting that 2WD would not take me.

We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them. He is
very conservative BTW.

Today I drive a 2019 Crosstrek and get over 30 mpg.

Dean Hoffman[_17_] November 14th 20 01:25 PM

Tire question

On 11/14/20 7:05 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/13/2020 8:02 PM, T wrote:

A bunch cut.

Subi's are damned fun to drive.

I live on a hill side and like the fact that they come with standard
AWD.Â* Also got me places hunting that 2WD would not take me.

We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.Â* He is
very conservative BTW.

Today I drive a 2019 Crosstrek and get over 30 mpg.

I intend to buy a midsized pickup in the next few weeks. The
internet
is sure nice for looking. Autotrader seems to be the best way to
search next to
finding the local dealers' websites.
Dealers are really proud of their stuff. $50,000 or so for a pickup?
Ain't happening. The used ones don't come at much of a discount unless
they have a bunch of miles. Most of the pickups are four wheel drive
and four door.

Scott Lurndal November 14th 20 04:59 PM

Tire question

Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 11/13/2020 9:37 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â* I had a 2.5 RS Impreza.Â* It had a five speed manual.Â*Â* One
kid thought he wanted to buy it until I mentioned the transmission.
One would probably have to look really hard to find a new car that
has such the thing.Â* I remember the old three on the tree but have
never driven one.

The three on a tree was very common into about the 60s. I learned to

I had a 67 dodge pickup with three on the tree. The floorboards
on the passenger side provided a nice view of the pavement by
1977 :-)

drive stick with a '58 Chevy Sedan delivery. It was like a station
wagon with no back windows and I did deliveries for a grocery store.

I learned to drive stick on a 1938 Farmall B tractor :-)

rbowman November 14th 20 05:42 PM

Tire question

On 11/14/2020 01:42 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
How about FOUR in the tree -Peugot and Renault and a few others

Then there was three on the dash...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%...ion_cadran.jpg

Peter[_36_] November 14th 20 05:43 PM

Tire question

On 11/14/2020 11:59 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 11/13/2020 9:37 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

**** I had a 2.5 RS Impreza.* It had a five speed manual.** One
kid thought he wanted to buy it until I mentioned the transmission.
One would probably have to look really hard to find a new car that
has such the thing.* I remember the old three on the tree but have
never driven one.

The three on a tree was very common into about the 60s. I learned to

I had a 67 dodge pickup with three on the tree. The floorboards
on the passenger side provided a nice view of the pavement by
1977 :-)

drive stick with a '58 Chevy Sedan delivery. It was like a station
wagon with no back windows and I did deliveries for a grocery store.

I learned to drive stick on a 1938 Farmall B tractor :-)

I learned on a 1928 model A Ford. Was a camper at a sleep-away summer
camp with an auto shop. Counselor was a fully trained mechanic. During
the course of of the summer, a group of about 10 campers totally
disassembled the entire car, the chassis, engine, etc. literally down to
the nuts, bolts, washers, piston rings, etc. and re-assembled it. Then,
we were taught to drive it on the camp's grounds. I was about 12 y.o.
at the time.

rbowman November 14th 20 05:47 PM

Tire question

On 11/14/2020 06:25 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/14/20 7:05 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/13/2020 8:02 PM, T wrote:

A bunch cut.

Subi's are damned fun to drive.

I live on a hill side and like the fact that they come with standard
AWD. Also got me places hunting that 2WD would not take me.

We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them. He
is very conservative BTW.

Today I drive a 2019 Crosstrek and get over 30 mpg.

I intend to buy a midsized pickup in the next few weeks. The
internet
is sure nice for looking. Autotrader seems to be the best way to
search next to
finding the local dealers' websites.
Dealers are really proud of their stuff. $50,000 or so for a pickup?
Ain't happening. The used ones don't come at much of a discount unless
they have a bunch of miles. Most of the pickups are four wheel drive
and four door.

The dealer where I bought my first Toyota in 2007 also sold Fords. I got
a real sticker shock looking at a F150. iirc, I paid $10,000 for mine in
'86 and it didn't look like a luxury ride brand new.

T[_6_] November 14th 20 08:30 PM

Tire question

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.Â* He is
veryÂ*conservativeÂ*BTW.

So are the both of use!!

TodayÂ*IÂ*driveÂ*aÂ*2019Â*CrosstrekÂ*andÂ*getÂ*ove rÂ*30Â*mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline. About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

Peeler[_4_] November 14th 20 08:36 PM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 10:42:25 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Then there was three on the dash...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%...ion_cadran.jpg

You REALLY got nothing better to do, eh, senile hayseed and trumptard? G

Peeler[_4_] November 14th 20 08:36 PM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 10:47:18 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

The dealer where I bought my first Toyota in 2007 also sold Fords.

Good to know, senile gossip! G

rbowman November 14th 20 08:47 PM

Tire question

On 11/14/2020 10:43 AM, Peter wrote:
I learned on a 1928 model A Ford. Was a camper at a sleep-away summer
camp with an auto shop. Counselor was a fully trained mechanic. During
the course of of the summer, a group of about 10 campers totally
disassembled the entire car, the chassis, engine, etc. literally down to
the nuts, bolts, washers, piston rings, etc. and re-assembled it. Then,
we were taught to drive it on the camp's grounds. I was about 12 y.o.
at the time

A college friend who had been a commercial pilot but had returned to get
a degree had a lot of toys. He casually loaned his Model A to another
friend and I. We reached out to my father for a tutorial on the care and
feeding of the thing.

Troy, NY is built on sort of an escarpment down to the Hudson river. We
learned that mechanical brakes more or less suck. Fortunately disaster
was averted and we routed around to some of the gentler grades.

Peeler[_4_] November 14th 20 09:37 PM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 13:47:18 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

A college friend who had been a commercial pilot but had returned to get
a degree had a lot of toys. He casually loaned his Model A to another
friend and I.

Oh, NO! And the senile babble continues and continues and continues... tsk

[email protected] November 14th 20 11:17 PM

Tire question

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 10:47:18 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/14/2020 06:25 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/14/20 7:05 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/13/2020 8:02 PM, T wrote:

A bunch cut.

[...]

These days you are lucky to get out the door with an F150 for $50,000
and a tricked out one is way more than that.

Frank[_24_] November 15th 20 12:12 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.Â* He
is veryÂ*conservativeÂ*BTW.

So are the both of use!!

TodayÂ*IÂ*driveÂ*aÂ*2019Â*CrosstrekÂ*andÂ*getÂ*ove rÂ*30Â*mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

T[_6_] November 15th 20 12:28 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.Â* He
is veryÂ*conservativeÂ*BTW.

So are the both of use!!

TodayÂ*IÂ*driveÂ*aÂ*2019Â*CrosstrekÂ*andÂ*getÂ*ove rÂ*30Â*mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

That is what I told Maverick. They claim it is their
suppliers doing it. Hmmmmmmmmm...

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] November 15th 20 01:02 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.Â* He
is veryÂ*conservativeÂ*BTW.

So are the both of use!!

TodayÂ*IÂ*driveÂ*aÂ*2019Â*CrosstrekÂ*andÂ*getÂ*ove rÂ*30Â*mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

Hmmmm, 15,000 stations but none in DE.
https://www.pure-gas.org/

No idea on the price aside from "because we can" On a car forum a guy
did tests and he got roughly 22 mpg on ethanol, 24 mpg on straight gas
so the cost per miles was the same for him

Bob F November 15th 20 01:10 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.
He is veryÂ*conservativeÂ*BTW.

So are the both of use!!

TodayÂ*IÂ*driveÂ*aÂ*2019Â*CrosstrekÂ*andÂ*getÂ*ove rÂ*30Â*mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

Hmmmm, 15,000 stations but none in DE.
https://www.pure-gas.org/

No idea on the price aside from "because we can"Â* On a car forum a guy
did tests and he got roughly 22 mpg on ethanol, 24 mpg on straight gas
so the cost per miles was the same for him

I know of one station near me that sells lead free gas. It is not cheap,
probably because not much of it is sold. I bought some for my 2 stroke
equipment.

T[_6_] November 15th 20 01:21 AM

Tire question

On 11/14/2020 3:30 PM, T wrote:
On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
[...]

Comrade,

They have not sold leaded gasoline for a lot of years. Did you mean
alcohol free?

-T

Frank[_24_] November 15th 20 01:23 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.
He is veryÂ*conservativeÂ*BTW.

So are the both of use!!

TodayÂ*IÂ*driveÂ*aÂ*2019Â*CrosstrekÂ*andÂ*getÂ*ove rÂ*30Â*mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

That is what I told Maverick.Â* They claim it is their
suppliers doing it.Â*Â* Hmmmmmmmmm...

Probably a volume thing. I understand it is more expensive to transport
gas with ethanol as they cannot pipeline it. I recall when it came to
nearby PA they had to dig up tanks to replace or clean as gas with
ethanol has greater solvent power and would bring up any gunk on the old
tanks. It is an abomination that should never have been inflicted on us.

rbowman November 15th 20 01:39 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.
He is very conservative BTW.

So are the both of use!!

Today I drive a 2019 Crosstrek and get over 30 mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline. About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that ethanol
free costs more.

That is what I told Maverick. They claim it is their
suppliers doing it. Hmmmmmmmmm...

It may be worth researching ethanol subsidies.

https://www.taxpayer.net/energy-natu...ased-biofuels/

T[_6_] November 15th 20 01:56 AM

Tire question

On 2020-11-14 05:05, Frank wrote:
We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them.
He is veryÂ*conservativeÂ*BTW.

So are the both of use!!

TodayÂ*IÂ*driveÂ*aÂ*2019Â*CrosstrekÂ*andÂ*getÂ*ove rÂ*30Â*mpg.

I get about 24.4 MPG city on my 2006 Forester with
pure gasoline.Â* About 22.0 MPG on that alcohol crap.

The good stuff is consistently 40 cents more per gallon,
but the miles per dollar are the same.

They do not sell ethanol free gas here and makes no sense that
ethanol free costs more.

That is what I told Maverick.Â* They claim it is their
suppliers doing it.Â*Â* Hmmmmmmmmm...

Probably a volume thing.Â* I understand it is more expensive to transport
gas with ethanol as they cannot pipeline it.Â* I recall when it came to
nearby PA they had to dig up tanks to replace or clean as gas with
ethanol has greater solvent power and would bring up any gunk on the old
tanks.Â* It is an abomination that should never have been inflicted on us.

1+

I am all for any form of energy AS LONG as it can
stand on its own two feet.