Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default Tire question

On 2020-11-11 14:14, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/11/20 3:36 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 21:37:41 -0800, T posted for all of us to
digest...

Hi All,

Forrester 2006

My mechanic says these are the two quietest P225/50 R16
tires

Which one of these would be a quieter tire?* Do you
guys have a preference?

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid-ascend-lx
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/de...ender-t-h.html

Any reliability issues with these two (they are not
Firestone).

Many thanks,
-T

T, it's hard for us to make an assessment as we may not own a
Forester
with
either of those two brands. I have had Yokes in the past and they
were
OK,
though if the vehicle sat for more than a day they flat spotted,
which
IMO
would not disqualify them. The Mich's will probably be quieter,
but more
expensive. Much of road noise issue is determined by the road
surface
you are
driving along. Both are good, a toss up from here...

* **** Consumer Reports doesn't have them rated.
The highest rated all season tire is Toyo Versado Noir.** Supposed to
last 75,000 miles.* $99* Rated 60
* *The highest rated sport performance tire is the Goodyear Eagle
Sport All Season.* Expected thread life 80,000 miles*** $115 Rated 58
* *They also rated ultra high performance all season tires.* This is
the highest rated among those.
General G-MAX AS-05
225/50ZR16
Price: $112
* * Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use

I am looking for noise.* I have an appointment with my
mechanic to change my wheel bearing at the same time.
They have ~120,000 on them, so it is time.

Never changed a wheel bearing yet, even on vehicles with twice that
mileage.

I remember my father having one rear bearing changed when I was a kid
when we had an Oldsmobile station wagon with a boat on a trailer and
two adults and 7 kids starting a trip from Detroit to Spokane. Never
had one myself. I have rarely had a vehicle with less than 100,000
miles.

Damned thing do still work.* They just get LOUD at high
speed as they age.* Subaru recommends your change them
at 120K miles.* I can't understand someone talking to
me in the passenger seat at 55 MPH.

Looking at newer Forester maintenance manual it calls just for
inspection of wheel bearings at 60,000 and 120,000 miles.

You could probably check yourself:

https://www.yourmechanic.com/estimat...gs-replacement

Other sites say bearings don't last much longer than 100,000 miles on
Subaru's.

We are on our 5 Subaru but not yet had one last that long.* Two were
totaled and I traded in one 13 year old one as the head gasket was going
for the second time.* That can be a big problem on Subaru's of that
vintage.* Happened to both me and a son's.* Out of warranty but when
complaining to Subaru we both got partial reimbursement.

Already gone through the head gasket thing. And the
rubber band thing (timing band).

The newer ones don't use a rubber band.

"Supposedly" Subi's are preferred by liberals. I keep
telling them no self respecting liberal would be without
a Volvo or a Prius.

Subi's are damned fun to drive.

Spelled backwards, you get "Ur-a-bus"