Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gasoline is back!

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 22:07:25 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

" Pure" gas goes bad over a year or more - Ethanol fuel in months

Ethanol NEVER goes bad. Think whiskey. There nothing for it to
turn into... unless you dilute it to the point bacteria can transform
it into vinegar.
Gasoline OTOH is unstable and degenerates rapidly.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/19 8:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/09/2019 04:11 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The only issues I remember with ethanol blend were back in the
1970s when
it was first available here.Â*Â* Some cars had issues with pinging.Â* Those
people
just wouldn't use it.Â*Â* Others had issues with plugged fuel filters at
first.Â* The
ethanol cleaned up the varnish in the tanks which plugged the filters. A
new filter
fixed that issue.
Â* Ethanol does eliminate the need to use products like Heet in the
winter.
Â*Â* I use it in my mowers without problems.

Trip down memory lane:

https://history.nebraska.gov/blog/ga...st-time-around
https://www.historicvehicle.org/ethanol-timeline/

That goes back to the time of farming with horses, mules, and
steam engines.
Clothes washers were powered by one cylinder Maytag engines. My
parents would
talk about that stuff occasionally. They were born around 1920. I
think it was 1947
before they had electricity to their house.

The first time I remember it being prevalent was when I was working in
Indiana in the early '80s. I was driving an '82 Firebird and didn't have
any problems.

This town mandated alcohol blends in the winter to cut pollution. My
highly unscientific observation is I have slightly decreased mileage in
the winter. otoh, I also spend more time warming up the car and driving
with a engine not up normal operating temperature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 9:46:27 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 11/9/19 4:03 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 11:28:57 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Hi All,

The local Mavericks is putting in two pumps with
for pure gasoline. Yippee!

I lost 2.5 miles per gallon when Gasohol was forced down
our throats, thank you so much.

I wonder if this regulation being removed is Trump's doing?

Next reg to remove, those stupid regs on washing machines.

-T

Why washing machines? I've got a relatively new (2013) washer that works
just fine and wasn't much more expensive than the one I bought in 1989.

Cindy Hamilton

Hi Cindy,

You have not looked at the review of the latest government
mandated washers lately. They rip your cloths up. They leave
dirt and soap on your cloths. Sometimes dry soap that
never got wet. Some don't even wet all your cloths. Most
won't allow you to lift the lid and check things. Those
that do, DRAINI THE DANMED thing before they let your look.
No high water levels either

And no hot water. Get use to spreading live fecal germs around your family!

If you like you current washer, REPAIR it! DO NOT get
a new one.

The only washer that will let you lift the lid, use hot
water, and fill to the top (only the top) is one from
Huebschb (Alliance) that is meant for apartment complexes.

Here is an add for one:
https://www.sargentsoutlet.com/SPEED-QUEEN.html

-T

That's exactly what I have.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2019 9:47 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/09/2019 05:19 PM, Frank wrote:
se of ethanol as fuel was a zero sum game as cost of farming, making it
and all the other crap resulted in zero energy savings.Â* The gas
companies said they could have made gas just as good without it but ADM
and the rest of big agribusiness greased the palms of all the
politicians in DC to say otherwise.

There definitely was a lot of grease spread around for ethanol but I
don't exactly trust the refiners either. The drawbacks of TEL were known
for decades but it took a lot to get it out of gasoline. MBTE has issues
too but it was a cheaper replacement than EBTE. They could male more
isooctane from isobutylene but I'm guessing either MBTE or EBTE is cheaper.

EBTE does use ethanol rather than methanol but I don't know if it uses
enough to keep the corn growers happy.

The requirement was oxygenate content which refiners could satisfy most
easily and cheaply with MBTE. Then the problem occurred with MBTE
containing gasoline leaking and MBTE ending up in the water supply
giving it an off taste even at maybe less than one part per billion.

The governments, that includes states like CA, ****ing around with what
the refineries should make giving us all kinds of localized mixes just
adds to the cost of gasoline. You don't want politicians dictating science.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2019 12:54 PM, dpb wrote:
On 11/9/2019 6:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:

And Trump is _NOT_ raising the blending mandate level, simply making
some effort to enforce the actual law as passed "way back when" long
before he was around.Â* The use of the small refinery loophole has
allowed refiners to not live up to the mandate.

Actually the EPA rule on E15 finally came out in 2012 after some 15
years of lobbying against by big oil, mostly. The year-around use
continued to be blocked effectively mostly by their pressure; what has
done is provide the waiver temporarily to break the impasse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 7:28:56 AM UTC-5, Shadow wrote:
On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 03:47:05 -0800, T wrote:

On 11/9/19 3:31 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/8/19 10:28 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The local Mavericks is putting in two pumps with
for pure gasoline.Â* Yippee!

I lost 2.5 miles per gallon when Gasohol was forced down
our throats, thank you so much.

I wonder if this regulation being removed is Trump's doing?

Next reg to remove, those stupid regs on washing machines.

-T
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* We've had both in my little world in Nebraska.Â* The ethanol is
considerably
cheaper per gallon.Â* I haven't done the math though to figureÂ* miles per
dollar which
is the important thing.

Don't forget to add in the extra cost of mainenance

Yes. Alcohol burns and produces ONLY water and CO2. No oily
residue to clog anything up. Cars that run on alcohol need LESS
maintenance.
I change my spark plugs every 30.000 Km. And they (and the
cylinders) are absolutely clean when I do. The only damage is from the
electrical arc.

The rest of us driving cars that run mostly on gasoline also change
spark plugs at long intervals today. That was already happening
before ethanol was introduced here. It's a function of much better
engine designs AFAIK, not the fuel. There should not be any oily
residue in modern cars. And oil is introduced into the combustion
chamber from the cylinder walls regardless of the fuel.

My (only) gasoline car needs a change every 10.000 Km or so.
Gratz on the observation.

Must be a crappy car or something peculiar with your situation.
Here cars using gasoline typically go 100K without changing the plugs.
I've changed them at that interval and they still looked fine.

And there's the pollution problem you didn't mention ... OK, I
can wait.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/19 10:28 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The local Mavericks is putting in two pumps with
for pure gasoline. Yippee!

I lost 2.5 miles per gallon when Gasohol was forced down
our throats, thank you so much.

I wonder if this regulation being removed is Trump's doing?

Next reg to remove, those stupid regs on washing machines.

-T
We've had both in my little world in Nebraska. The ethanol is
considerably
cheaper per gallon. I haven't done the math though to figure miles per
dollar which
is the important thing.

Don't forget to add in the extra cost of mainenance

Yes. Alcohol burns and produces ONLY water and CO2. No oily
residue to clog anything up. Cars that run on alcohol need LESS
maintenance.
I change my spark plugs every 30.000 Km.

I havent changed mine in 75K Km and use no alcohol in my car engine.

And they (and the cylinders) are absolutely clean when I do.

Haven't seen mine for that reason.

The only damage is from the electrical arc.
My (only) gasoline car needs a change every 10.000 Km or so.

What model is that ? Must be a real dinosaur.

Gratz on the observation.
And there's the pollution problem you didn't mention ...
OK, I can wait.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" Pure" gas goes bad over a year or more - Ethanol fuel in months

Ethanol NEVER goes bad. Think whiskey. There nothing for it to
turn into... unless you dilute it to the point bacteria can transform
it into vinegar.
Gasoline OTOH is unstable and degenerates rapidly.

Mine that I kept in real jerrycans didn't in decades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:18 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost an HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 04:18:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

04:18 in Australia, AGAIN? And you've been up and trolling for almost AN
HOUR already. Do you really no NO shame AT ALL? But then, which psychopath
has ever known ANY shame, eh, senile Rodent?

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 04:20:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

04:20 in Australia? So what keeps you from sleeping in, EVERY NIGHT, you
clinically insane, trolling senile piece of ****? Is it your unbearable
LONELINESS? Serves you right, you quarrelsome, senile pest! LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/19 10:28 PM, T wrote:
[...]

You change plugs every 6000 miles ? Did you drop a zero there or
something? My 97 Honda has over 100k miles and I wouldn't be surprised
if these are the factory plugs. I have had it since 2002 and I never
changed them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" Pure" gas goes bad over a year or more - Ethanol fuel in months

Ethanol NEVER goes bad. Think whiskey. There nothing for it to
turn into... unless you dilute it to the point bacteria can transform
it into vinegar.
Gasoline OTOH is unstable and degenerates rapidly.
[]'s

Ethanol absorbs water and comes out of solution from the gasoline
(phase separation).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2019 05:28 AM, Shadow wrote:
I change my spark plugs every 30.000 Km. And they (and the
cylinders) are absolutely clean when I do. The only damage is from the
electrical arc.

Going on 80,000 miles I know there are spark plugs someplace in my
Toyota's engine, but I've never seen them. Changing plugs is so eighties...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/19 10:28 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Mostly getting rid of the lead and high energy ignition systems that
can live with wider spark gaps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 04:18:38 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

On 11/8/19 10:28 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Plugs were good for 15k miles or so way back in the days of leaded gas
and wimpy ignition systems when the had carburetors that were always a
compromise on the mixture. Most could still be cleaned, gapped and
used again. They were just so cheap, nobody bothered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 11:22:20 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/10/2019 05:28 AM, Shadow wrote:
I change my spark plugs every 30.000 Km. And they (and the
cylinders) are absolutely clean when I do. The only damage is from the
electrical arc.

Going on 80,000 miles I know there are spark plugs someplace in my
Toyota's engine, but I've never seen them. Changing plugs is so eighties...

I am thinking more 60s 70s. By the 80s we were running unleaded, with
computer controlled fuel injection and had high energy ignitions
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 23:57:06 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 11/09/2019 08:05 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
In many cases it has been mixed in the truck.. Same with the
proprietary" ingredients. The "add pack" is dropped into the tank
truck, and then it is filled with "raw" gasoline. The add-pack is the
difference between Shell, Conoco, Mobil, etc.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bb/8c...5e40eeb3d8.jpg

https://tommcmahon.typepad.com/.a/6a...b977970c-800wi

I was always amused by the Sunoco 'custom blend' pumps. Pick your poison
with the selector and watch the 'octane' wheel spin faster for the
higher grades.

iirc the selector levers outlasted the spinning wheels when the
regulatory agencies decided the wheels were pure bull****. Nice
marketing though.

Virtually all pomps now are "custom blended" The refinery produces
regular and premium. Your "mid grade" is "custom blended" That is
exactly what Sunoco did way back when. The "octane wheel" showed the
metering of the "hightest" into the mix. Mixed at the pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" Pure" gas goes bad over a year or more - Ethanol fuel in months

Ethanol NEVER goes bad. Think whiskey. There nothing for it to
turn into... unless you dilute it to the point bacteria can transform
it into vinegar.
Gasoline OTOH is unstable and degenerates rapidly.
[]'s

OK - etanol BLEND fuel if you want to be picky - - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/10/2019 05:28 AM, Shadow wrote:
I change my spark plugs every 30.000 Km. And they (and the
cylinders) are absolutely clean when I do. The only damage is from the
electrical arc.

Going on 80,000 miles I know there are spark plugs someplace in my
Toyota's engine, but I've never seen them. Changing plugs is so eighties...

Been changed twice, I think, on my 24 year old Ford. I know I changed
them once at about 320,000km and it was time - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/19 10:28 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Oily residue from the PCV system is often an issue - and going too
long on an oil change causes coking and sticking piston rings - as
well as deteriorated valve seals (and worn guides) that cause oil
consumption and can cause fouling.

Lead free fuel was te cause of the greatest increase in engine life
since the late twenties - when "ethyl" gasoline became common - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/10/2019 05:28 AM, Shadow wrote:
I change my spark plugs every 30.000 Km. And they (and the
cylinders) are absolutely clean when I do. The only damage is from the
electrical arc.

Going on 80,000 miles I know there are spark plugs someplace in my
Toyota's engine, but I've never seen them. Changing plugs is so eighties...

Been changed twice, I think, on my 24 year old Ford. I know I changed
them once at about 320,000km and it was time - - -

I haven't replaced a plug in a car for 30 years. Right now I have a 97
Honda, a 2000 Ford Sport Trac and a 2008 Lincoln. They are all running
the plugs that were in them when I got them.

This is a 1500 hour plug out of my outboard. EFI

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/1500%20hour%20plug.jpg

I don't think I would want to own stock in a spark plug company

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/19 2:54 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/9/2019 9:46 PM, T wrote:
On 11/9/19 4:03 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Next reg to remove, those stupid regs on washing machines.

-T

Why washing machines?Â* I've got a relatively new (2013) washer that
works
just fine and wasn't much more expensive than the one I bought in 1989.

Cindy Hamilton

Hi Cindy,

You have not looked at the review of the latest government
mandated washers lately.Â* They rip your cloths up.Â* They leave
dirt and soap on your cloths.Â* Sometimes dry soap that
never got wet. Some don't even wet all your cloths.Â* Most
won't allow you to lift the lid and check things.Â* Those
that do, DRAINI THE DANMED thing before they let your look.
No high water levels either

And no hot water.Â* Get use to spreading live fecal germs around your
family!

If you like you current washer, REPAIR it!Â* DO NOT get
a new one.

The only washer that will let you lift the lid, use hot
water, and fill to the top (only the top) is one from
Huebschb (Alliance) that is meant for apartment complexes.

Here is an add for one:
https://www.sargentsoutlet.com/SPEED-QUEEN.html

-T

My year old Maytag can use hot water.Â* There is an option for more water
too, but never needed it so not sure how much it fills.Â* I always select
the "extra rinse" cycle too.Â* .

Our clothes come out clean.

The washing machines I've had over the past 35 years have all had hot
and cold inlet hoses. AFAICR, all had variable water level too. Current
machine has 5 water level settings. Need to lift the lid fully open to
shut off water flow too.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/19 5:15 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Repair it till you die. Alliance gives the best parts
retention policy. And since the parts are used in their commercial
laundry products, they should be available for
a very long time.