Chris V

Default Back to back gas fires

I have a bungalow with chimney at one end, and a fitted gas fire in that room.

I will shortly have a single room extension build on this end of the bungalow.

Is it OK to open up the same fireplace from the new room and fit another gas fire.

The result would be 2 gas fires back to back and both feeding into a single chimney.

Thanks Chris
Set Square

Chris V wrote:

I have a bungalow with chimney at one end, and a fitted gas fire in
that room.

I will shortly have a single room extension build on this end of the
bungalow.

Is it OK to open up the same fireplace from the new room and fit
another gas fire.

The result would be 2 gas fires back to back and both feeding into a
single chimney.

Thanks Chris

I very much doubt whether you can do this. The installation instructions for
my gas fire say quite explicitly that it must have a dedicated chimney. I
expect yours is the same.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Stumbles

Chris V wrote:
I have a bungalow with chimney at one end, and a fitted gas fire in that room.

I will shortly have a single room extension build on this end of the bungalow.

Is it OK to open up the same fireplace from the new room and fit another gas fire.

The result would be 2 gas fires back to back and both feeding into a single chimney.

Absolutely not!

With one fire on and the other off and the appropriate airflow around
the house you'd get products of combustion from the working fire coming
out of the non-working one. This would be classified as Immediately
Dangerous in CORGI-speak and get the appliances cut off, and probably a
RIDDOR report to the HSE.
Chris V

John Stumbles wrote in message ...
Chris V wrote:
I have a bungalow with chimney at one end, and a fitted gas fire in that room.

I will shortly have a single room extension build on this end of the bungalow.

Is it OK to open up the same fireplace from the new room and fit another gas fire.

The result would be 2 gas fires back to back and both feeding into a single chimney.

Absolutely not!

With one fire on and the other off and the appropriate airflow around
the house you'd get products of combustion from the working fire coming
out of the non-working one. This would be classified as Immediately
Dangerous in CORGI-speak and get the appliances cut off, and probably a
RIDDOR report to the HSE.

Thanks John
Helped avoid a tricky situation. I will put an electric fire in the
new extension and leave the current chimney untouched.
Cheers Chris

Just Back from Habitat for Humanity Outlet Store Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 4 July 18th 04 02:31 AM
Gunner: I'm back Gunner Metalworking 388 July 9th 04 12:35 AM
Surface for back of open fireplace Robert Irwin UK diy 7 June 7th 04 10:01 AM
Wood for Childrens Blocks Wyatt Wright Woodworking 15 April 7th 04 05:15 AM
Draining Back Boiler Jamie UK diy 1 July 27th 03 12:29 AM