Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HELP! - water does not come back On after turning the water main back On

I needed to replace an outside faucet that went to the garden hose.

So turned off the water supply using valve out by the sidewalk that
goes to my house.

Water stopped OK. Replaced faucet OK.

Now when I turn the water main back to the ON position the entire house
still has NO WATER.

I have left the main ON for about an hour now with faucets all closed
off in case the pipes needed to fill up or something, but still no
water - none- not even a dribble.

I have repeatedly turned the main on and off - still no water. Could
the valve be stuck in some way - it feels OK when I turn it back and
forth. Could something have been dislodged like mineral buildup that
blocks the line?

This is a two story house.

Anyone have any ideas whats going wrong here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I needed to replace an outside faucet that went to the garden hose.

So turned off the water supply using valve out by the sidewalk that
goes to my house.

Water stopped OK. Replaced faucet OK.

Now when I turn the water main back to the ON position the entire house
still has NO WATER.

I have left the main ON for about an hour now with faucets all closed
off in case the pipes needed to fill up or something, but still no
water - none- not even a dribble.

I have repeatedly turned the main on and off - still no water. Could
the valve be stuck in some way - it feels OK when I turn it back and
forth. Could something have been dislodged like mineral buildup that
blocks the line?

This is a two story house.

Anyone have any ideas whats going wrong here?

The valve may have stuck closed at the meter - it happens especially when
the valve is left open for decades at a time.

As for turning on the water, you need to leave a faucet OPEN when the water
is off so that air can be pushed out - but even so I would expect some water
flow.

Open the lowest and the highest cold water faucet in the house and try
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i now find that I can turn the valve open forever - it does not hit any
stop point.

This fits with the idea that the gate has broken off the end of the
stem and is stuck in place.

Who owns this valve? Is it my cost to fix it - its the one between the
meter and the house - comes after the water company shutoff vale on the
meter. Bet its me huh?

If so should i just calla plumber and not bother the water company?

This will require a digout and valve replacement I guess...any idea
what this will cost?

Posted to alt.home.repair

yep utility says i am on the hook for it

SO how tuff is it to fix this?

Its in a 6" diameter PVC tube about 18" below ground. So I will have to
dig a hole around it to work.

Is this a threaded coupling on each side of the valve or what?

I am fairly handy and have done a lot of other home repair and
carpentry stuff - not alot of plumbing though (just replaced 2 outside
faucets which led to this problem),. So is this something I could do
myself or leave it to the pros?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

i now find that I can turn the valve open forever - it does not hit any
stop point.

This fits with the idea that the gate has broken off the end of the
stem and is stuck in place.

Who owns this valve? Is it my cost to fix it - its the one between the
meter and the house - comes after the water company shutoff vale on the
meter. Bet its me huh?

If so should i just calla plumber and not bother the water company?

This will require a digout and valve replacement I guess...any idea
what this will cost?

Before calling anyone, try pushing the valve stem in. If it moves, push in
and turn the valve to open I had a similar problem and that fixed it for me.
Well, maybe not really "fixed", but the water came back on after the valve
opened.

It that does not work, the valve will have to be repaired or replaced at
your expense. A plumber can either turn the main off or contact your water
department to do so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

yep utility says i am on the hook for it

SO how tuff is it to fix this?

Its in a 6" diameter PVC tube about 18" below ground. So I will have to
dig a hole around it to work.

18"???? You must live in the deep south!

Is this a threaded coupling on each side of the valve or what?

I am fairly handy and have done a lot of other home repair and
carpentry stuff - not alot of plumbing though (just replaced 2 outside
faucets which led to this problem),. So is this something I could do
myself or leave it to the pros?

When you take the valve off you will have full pressure running off it.
Suggest the pros on this one as it requires special equipment to contain the
pressure as the valve is replaced. You can save some money by doing the
digging yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

SNIP

When you take the valve off you will have full pressure running off it.
Suggest the pros on this one as it requires special equipment to contain the
pressure as the valve is replaced. You can save some money by doing the
digging yourself.

No. He says there is a utility shutoff on the other side
of the meter.