Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gasoline is back!

On 11/9/19 8:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/09/2019 04:11 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The only issues I remember with ethanol blend were back in the
1970s when
it was first available here.Â*Â* Some cars had issues with pinging.Â* Those
people
just wouldn't use it.Â*Â* Others had issues with plugged fuel filters at
first.Â* The
ethanol cleaned up the varnish in the tanks which plugged the filters. A
new filter
fixed that issue.
Â* Ethanol does eliminate the need to use products like Heet in the
winter.
Â*Â* I use it in my mowers without problems.

Trip down memory lane:

https://history.nebraska.gov/blog/ga...st-time-around
https://www.historicvehicle.org/ethanol-timeline/

That goes back to the time of farming with horses, mules, and
steam engines.
Clothes washers were powered by one cylinder Maytag engines. My
parents would
talk about that stuff occasionally. They were born around 1920. I
think it was 1947
before they had electricity to their house.

The first time I remember it being prevalent was when I was working in
Indiana in the early '80s. I was driving an '82 Firebird and didn't have
any problems.

This town mandated alcohol blends in the winter to cut pollution. My
highly unscientific observation is I have slightly decreased mileage in
the winter. otoh, I also spend more time warming up the car and driving
with a engine not up normal operating temperature.