Old February 10th 19, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best kitchen floor surfaces?

My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

Old February 10th 19, 05:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

I favor sheet vinyl. No seams for spilled milk to infiltrate. But
it's no longer fashionable.

Cindy Hamilton
Old February 10th 19, 06:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Davej" wrote in message
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

There is no ideal floor, if there was, everyone would have it.

I prefer quarry tiles, but dropping plates
and glasses etc usually sees them break.

Old February 10th 19, 07:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

Suggestions for what? Replacing the wood floor? Or ideas to prevent the problems you cite, leaving the floor there? If it was me and the floor was in good condition, I'd just enjoy it and look at the positives. Like everything, there are tradeoffs.

Old February 10th 19, 09:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:25:00 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:52:24 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

I favor sheet vinyl. No seams for spilled milk to infiltrate. But
it's no longer fashionable.

Cindy Hamilton

I agree I liked the vinyl myself but my wife insisted on taking the
ceramic tile we have in the rest of the house into the kitchen. It is
certainly durable and easy to clean but very unforgiving on anything
you drop. I can't seem to hurt the tile but I have certainly broken a
lot of glasses, dishes or whatever.

It's so hard glasses and china seem to break even before they hit
the floor - - - at least before thit hit after the first bounce.

We put in armstrong solid vinyl sheet flooring 26 years ago and it
still looks like new - and it looks like porcelain tile. Kitchen and
mainfloor bath. The upstairs bath is a composite floor that looks like
tile and comes in 2X4 foot sheets - snaps together like laminate fake
hardwood, but with virtually invisible seams and guaranteed
waterproof. The finish is as hard as ceramic tile - was VERY hard on
saw blades. I don't think it was Pergo - but very similar.

Also a decent option for a kitchen and available in many "patterns"
(Pergo)

Finishing interior surfaces of kitchen cabinets Peter Wells Woodworking 7 May 7th 07 03:13 PM
kitchen work surfaces patrick UK diy 14 April 22nd 05 10:27 PM
Rust on tool surfaces Larry Crosby Woodworking 5 March 28th 05 09:49 PM
Paint which surfaces of indoor built-in bookcases? Bill Courington Woodworking 8 February 12th 05 04:51 PM
Cleaning grout from tile surfaces John Rumm UK diy 5 January 20th 05 09:01 PM