Larry Crosby

Default Rust on tool surfaces

I have several tools (jointer, bandsaw etc.) whose table surfaces
(mostly cast iron) have become rusted due to storage in moist
environments for a time. Any recommendations for:

a) How best to remove the rust (maybe steel wool?)
b) What to put on the cleaned surface to prevent
this from happening again. Wax? oil? I'd like to
minimize the contamination of my wood when
I use the tools.

Thanks
Joe Wilding

Fine or coarse steel wool (depending on how bad they are) will remove it
nicely. I use a product called Top Coat to protect my tools and provide a
slippery surface. Most places that sell woodowkring supplies (rockler,
woodcraft, etc.) carry it. It is something like $10 a can, but I have used
the same can for 5 years now. It works really well, and dosen't leave any
kind of residue on the wood that affects finish.

I have heard some people use just regular paste wax as well, but I have not
tried that personally.

Joe in Denver
My Woodworking Website:
www.the-wildings.com/shop/

"Larry Crosby" wrote in message
I have several tools (jointer, bandsaw etc.) whose table surfaces
(mostly cast iron) have become rusted due to storage in moist
environments for a time. Any recommendations for:

a) How best to remove the rust (maybe steel wool?)
b) What to put on the cleaned surface to prevent
this from happening again. Wax? oil? I'd like to
minimize the contamination of my wood when
I use the tools.

Thanks

Charlie Self

I use WD40 and 00 to 0000 steel wool to remove rust.

Johnson's, Butcher, Minwax and good paste wax works well for protection
of cast iron tops. You might want to try Boeshield T9, too. That is a
good protectant.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Larry Crosby" wrote in message
I have several tools (jointer, bandsaw etc.) whose table surfaces
(mostly cast iron) have become rusted due to storage in moist
environments for a time. Any recommendations for:

a) How best to remove the rust (maybe steel wool?)
b) What to put on the cleaned surface to prevent
this from happening again. Wax? oil? I'd like to
minimize the contamination of my wood when
I use the tools.

Thanks

The best stuff for removing rust is Top Saver. It is better than anything
I've seen. Once cleaned, use Top Cote, Boeshield, or paste wax to protect
it.

Jon Endres, PE

I have several tools (jointer, bandsaw etc.) whose table surfaces
(mostly cast iron) have become rusted due to storage in moist
environments for a time. Any recommendations for:

a) How best to remove the rust (maybe steel wool?)

a maroon 3m (scotchbrite) pad sorta sticks to the bottom of my random orbit
sander, and that and some wd-40 or even dry, gets the rust off.

b) What to put on the cleaned surface to prevent
this from happening again. Wax?

wax. i use butcher's paste wax (s.c. johnson), warmed up and soft, apply a
heavy coat and let DRY, and buff out with a cloth or a buffing pad on an
orbital buffer. i've tried a lot of the spray-on stuff like boeshield and
topkote and hate 'em.

jon e

You can try to buy camphor, it can keep your tools rust free. I put a
block of camphor in each tool drawer. I used the camphor left a
deposit on the metal tools and the deposit seemed to keep away the
rust. you can buy it from http://www.ericscollections.com