Joe Wilding

Fine or coarse steel wool (depending on how bad they are) will remove it
nicely. I use a product called Top Coat to protect my tools and provide a
slippery surface. Most places that sell woodowkring supplies (rockler,
woodcraft, etc.) carry it. It is something like $10 a can, but I have used
the same can for 5 years now. It works really well, and dosen't leave any
kind of residue on the wood that affects finish.

I have heard some people use just regular paste wax as well, but I have not
tried that personally.

Joe in Denver
My Woodworking Website:
www.the-wildings.com/shop/

"Larry Crosby" wrote in message
I have several tools (jointer, bandsaw etc.) whose table surfaces
(mostly cast iron) have become rusted due to storage in moist
environments for a time. Any recommendations for:

a) How best to remove the rust (maybe steel wool?)
b) What to put on the cleaned surface to prevent
this from happening again. Wax? oil? I'd like to
minimize the contamination of my wood when
I use the tools.

Thanks