Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing interior surfaces of kitchen cabinets

I'm slowly getting myself convinced that I can tackle a set of kitchen
cabinets. My basic construction skills are pretty much there, but I'm no
where regarding finishing. I bought a book but it only covered fine
furniture. To the question - the interior parts will be birch plywood, I'm
happy with the color so am looking for a finish to make the surface more
durable. I'm more concerned about making a good job than speed. I don't
have a spray booth, and the garage is pretty dusty (could be cleaned of
course), I do have a decent set of HVLP equipment.

All suggestions or pointers welcome,

thanks,

Peter

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 May 2007 15:16:40 -0500, "Peter Wells"
wrote:

To the question - the interior parts will be birch plywood, I'm
happy with the color so am looking for a finish to make the surface more
durable.

Use prefinished plywood with the prefinished side IN.

Many, many pros do this. Any decent plywood supplier can get it for
you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Peter Wells wrote:
I'm slowly getting myself convinced that I can tackle a set of kitchen
cabinets. My basic construction skills are pretty much there, but
I'm no where regarding finishing. I bought a book but it only
covered fine furniture. To the question - the interior parts will be
birch plywood, I'm happy with the color so am looking for a finish to
make the surface more durable. I'm more concerned about making a
good job than speed. I don't have a spray booth, and the garage is
pretty dusty (could be cleaned of course), I do have a decent set of
HVLP equipment.
All suggestions or pointers welcome,

thanks,

Peter

On a Alder/Birch cab I recently built I sprayed (no booth) Deft brushing
lacquer using probably "a less than decent" HVLP......turned out fine. Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 9:22 pm, "Rod & Betty Jo" wrote:
Peter Wells wrote:
I'm slowly getting myself convinced that I can tackle a set of kitchen
cabinets. My basic construction skills are pretty much there, but
I'm no where regarding finishing. I bought a book but it only
covered fine furniture. To the question - the interior parts will be
birch plywood, I'm happy with the color so am looking for a finish to
make the surface more durable. I'm more concerned about making a
good job than speed. I don't have a spray booth, and the garage is
pretty dusty (could be cleaned of course), I do have a decent set of
HVLP equipment.
All suggestions or pointers welcome,

thanks,

Peter

On a Alder/Birch cab I recently built I sprayed (no booth) Deft brushing
lacquer using probably "a less than decent" HVLP......turned out fine. Rod

Goodness... what about the fumes?? That Deft stuff is great..I brush
on the little bevels on custom laminate countertops with the stuff and
really like the way it works...but spraying without a booth? You must
have had a LOT of airflow somehow.

I have never sprayed Deft, but looked at the possibility many
times...so you were happy with the results, eh? Did you scuff 'tween
coats? What did you use to clean your equipment?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 8:51 pm, Robatoy wrote:

SNIP

..but spraying without a booth? You must
have had a LOT of airflow somehow.

I spray solvent based materials without a booth all the time. But I
only do it under these conditions -

1) outside when spraying paint. Think burglar bars, ornamental metal
fence, metal doors, etc.

2) inside a client garage if they won't let me take their doors or
cabinets off site to refinish, or if I am finishing in place

3) if inside ONLY with my HVLP

4) NEVER without my fume/chemical rate mask, even when outside

I watched a video about nerve damage from fumes and it scared the
living hell out of me. And all the wise asses out there that think
because they are using waterborne are safe should take minute and read
the MSDS sheet and call the manucfacturer's commercial division for
the skinny on the poisons in them.

I have never sprayed Deft, but looked at the possibility many times...so you were happy with the results, eh?

I always have been. Deft sprays quite well. IMNSHO, it is good
quality lacquer and I use it as well from time to time. It is a great
tool to have in the arsenal. It has good abrasion resistance,
excellent adhesion and ambers very slowly. I sprayed it with my high
pressure equipment thinned about 10%, and I spray it thinned to about
20% with the HVLP.

I combines well with the good thinners (Sherwyn Williams, Startex,
Benjamin Moore) as well as the cheap stuff (Sunnyvale, Crown, etc.).
I confess I havent' used any slow thinner (L2) with is as I think
since it is geared towards the general market it actually dries more
slowly than most to make the application more forgiving, so no need to
retard.

I use to routinely brush this stuff, and it left a finish that was
really quite good. But now I spray when possible, and I am shooting a
second coat of the stuff I use now in the time it takes one coat of
Deft to dry.

Did you scuff 'tween coats?

Adhesion of lacquer is a function of a couple of different things,
none of it sanding (unless you want to). Sanding is OK if you have
finish problems, but you can screw up a lacquer finish and cause
yourself a lot more work if you sand. As a build finish, subsequent
coats will melt into the first coat and become a monolithic seal.
BUT... a couple of rules have to be observed.

When brushing or padding (lessen times if spraying), I don't let the
lacquer go more than about 30 minutes from "dry to the touch" before
applying another coat. The applied coat will not be cured at this
time, and another coat will blend itself into the uncured coat. I
personally think that it is important that all lacquer finishing be
done "all at once" if possible. It can be a gentle balance sometimes,
and easy as squirting water others. But I always test and time my
coats, and when I don't leave a fingerprint in the surface, I usually
give it another few minutes and start coating again.

The most important thing to do when applying a build coat is to make
sure that you have plenty of time for the lacquer to sit on top of the
underlying coat to melt into it. I actually apply the second and
third coats (more if needed) a little more heavily if I need to to
make sure they have more time to burn into the previous coats. Thin
coats don't allow the material to have enough time on target to bond,
and you will have witness lines (like a film finish), sometimes
blushing,

As a sidebar, you know this - but for those that don't, there is dry
to the touch (good for a lacquer build coat), dry (light sanding OK to
remove dust and nibs), green cured (depending on conditions, 2-3 days,
not hard enough for full duty) and fully cured, which is about 2 weeks
or so. At full cure you can sand, polish, buff, or whatever you want.

What did you use to clean your equipment?

I use the cheapest lacquer thinner I can buy. I use the good stuff to
mix and thin, and the "gunwash" to clean the equipment.

I think if you try the Deft you will find it easy to use, and a good
all around finish. I still use it today when I need to finish an
interior door at someone's house. The lacquer I use most of the time
is spray only, but sometimes you just can't. Then I use Old Master's
or Deft, depending which is available.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 3:16 pm, "Peter Wells" wrote:

I'm more concerned about making a good job than speed. I don't have a spray booth, and the garage is pretty dusty (could be cleaned of
course), I do have a decent set of HVLP equipment.

All suggestions or pointers welcome,

Hi Peter.

If you have a dusty garage, don't plan on using your HVLP with grand
success unless you have a really long hose on it to keep the exhaust
stirred particulates out of your finish.

This was my method for interiors when I used to build cabs in the
garage.

Take your plywood for drawers, etc. and sand them to clean them up.
Cut/rip everything you can to width, but not length. Select a side for
your interior, and put this on your sawhorse or worktable. I used to
pad on generous coats of Deft onto one side, making sure I hit the
edges with a small brush. Put a couple of generous coats on. Except
for drawer bottom material or material that I couldn't reach later
after assembly, I only coated one side because no matter how careful I
was, I always got minor dings in the finish on the outside of the
drawers, etc., when assembling and handling.

Use a short bristle pad (HD, Lowe's, some paint stores) to apply and
it will come out really smooth. Catch any drips on the edge with
throw away brush. See additional instructions later on in this thread
about Deft.

Cut and assemble all the drawers, shelves, and other features, making
sure that the finshed lacquer will be on the inside, or on the show
side. Finshing the inside of the drawers this way will keep you from
having all the problems you have working inside corners, small areas,
etc., not to mention cutting your time in less than half because of
the speed. Your tedium factor is cut in less then half.

When you have assembled everything just brush or pad a coating of your
finish on the unfinished areas you are concerned about. On a drawer,
you should be around the outside flat surfaces in just a couple of
minutes each, and since you finished the edges, you can stack them up
on the edges as you finish them up. If you are building carcass
style, you will have finished the insides of the sides so you are
finished with the walls/interiors except the back of the rail and
stile. But you can finish them the same way too, if you are careful
and watch your edges (the rails and stiles may not be natural color,
so you could only finish the very back).

Since you are not spraying, you can finish without raising lot of
dust, so you don't have to clean out the shop to keep the stuff out of
the air.

Brings back a lot of memories...

Good luck! You can do it!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On a Alder/Birch cab I recently built I sprayed (no booth) Deft brushing
lacquer using probably "a less than decent" HVLP......turned out fine.
Rod

Goodness... what about the fumes??

Not as bad as I expected....It helped that windows were open (basement shop)
and a large patton fan was blowing out of the door. I'd expect the volume
with the small sprayer might have been considerably less than more proper
equipment.......no obvious ignition sources either.....I've sprayed a couple
of smaller items outside....if the weather permits I'd prefer it.....oddly
the Mrs. can not tolerate certain solvents especially PVC cement and carpet
glue (ER visits and several day recuperation) but Deft and/or lacquer
thinner doesn't bother her.

That Deft stuff is great..I brush
on the little bevels on custom laminate countertops with the stuff and
really like the way it works...but spraying without a booth? You must
have had a LOT of airflow somehow.

I've even been able to brush itG

I have never sprayed Deft, but looked at the possibility many
times...so you were happy with the results, eh?

Yes

Did you scuff 'tween
coats?

Just before the last coat on the bottom, sides and faceframe, inside the cab
was a little more forgivingg.......otherwise I used a cab scraper to touch
up flaws between coats.....

What did you use to clean your equipment?

Lacquer thinner.

Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

Peter Wells wrote:
I'm slowly getting myself convinced that I can tackle a set of kitchen
cabinets. My basic construction skills are pretty much there, but I'm no
where regarding finishing. I bought a book but it only covered fine
furniture. To the question - the interior parts will be birch plywood, I'm
happy with the color so am looking for a finish to make the surface more
durable. I'm more concerned about making a good job than speed. I don't
have a spray booth, and the garage is pretty dusty (could be cleaned of
course), I do have a decent set of HVLP equipment.

All suggestions or pointers welcome,

thanks,

Peter

I made a whole kitchen worth of cabinets from kits some years ago.
The wood was OK, but not pretty enough to justify a clear finish. I
used oil based enamel, applied with a brush. Finishing schedule went
like this.
Sand (orbital pad sander) down to 220 grit.
Dust with a tack rag to get the sanding dust off.
One coat shellac, brush on, dry overnight
sand again with 220 grit to kill the nubbles and rud down the high
spots. Wipe with tack rag.
One coat enamel, brush on, dry over night, or even two nights
sand again, wipe with tack rag
second coat enamal
sand yet again
coat of Butchers wax.
Result was very good looking, paint covered the wood grain
completely, and it lasted for years.

Should I want a clear finish, I'd just substitute poly varnish for the
enamel. And stain the wood first (before the shellac primer coat). A
power sander makes the sanding go faster than you would expect.

David Starr

finishing interior doors [email protected] Woodworking 16 July 2nd 05 02:24 PM
Materials to use for shop cabinets, surfaces, and jigs? [email protected] Woodworking 8 April 23rd 05 08:41 AM
kitchen work surfaces patrick UK diy 14 April 22nd 05 10:27 PM
Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets [email protected] Woodworking 3 February 22nd 04 12:54 PM
Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 22nd 04 12:54 PM