Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing interior surfaces of kitchen cabinets

On May 6, 3:16 pm, "Peter Wells" wrote:

I'm more concerned about making a good job than speed. I don't have a spray booth, and the garage is pretty dusty (could be cleaned of
course), I do have a decent set of HVLP equipment.

All suggestions or pointers welcome,

Hi Peter.

If you have a dusty garage, don't plan on using your HVLP with grand
success unless you have a really long hose on it to keep the exhaust
stirred particulates out of your finish.

This was my method for interiors when I used to build cabs in the
garage.

Take your plywood for drawers, etc. and sand them to clean them up.
Cut/rip everything you can to width, but not length. Select a side for
your interior, and put this on your sawhorse or worktable. I used to
pad on generous coats of Deft onto one side, making sure I hit the
edges with a small brush. Put a couple of generous coats on. Except
for drawer bottom material or material that I couldn't reach later
after assembly, I only coated one side because no matter how careful I
was, I always got minor dings in the finish on the outside of the
drawers, etc., when assembling and handling.

Use a short bristle pad (HD, Lowe's, some paint stores) to apply and
it will come out really smooth. Catch any drips on the edge with
throw away brush. See additional instructions later on in this thread
about Deft.

Cut and assemble all the drawers, shelves, and other features, making
sure that the finshed lacquer will be on the inside, or on the show
side. Finshing the inside of the drawers this way will keep you from
having all the problems you have working inside corners, small areas,
etc., not to mention cutting your time in less than half because of
the speed. Your tedium factor is cut in less then half.

When you have assembled everything just brush or pad a coating of your
finish on the unfinished areas you are concerned about. On a drawer,
you should be around the outside flat surfaces in just a couple of
minutes each, and since you finished the edges, you can stack them up
on the edges as you finish them up. If you are building carcass
style, you will have finished the insides of the sides so you are
finished with the walls/interiors except the back of the rail and
stile. But you can finish them the same way too, if you are careful
and watch your edges (the rails and stiles may not be natural color,
so you could only finish the very back).

Since you are not spraying, you can finish without raising lot of
dust, so you don't have to clean out the shop to keep the stuff out of
the air.

Brings back a lot of memories...

Good luck! You can do it!

Robert