Posted to rec.woodworking
Rod & Betty Jo Rod & Betty Jo is offline

Default Finishing interior surfaces of kitchen cabinets

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On a Alder/Birch cab I recently built I sprayed (no booth) Deft brushing
lacquer using probably "a less than decent" HVLP......turned out fine.
Rod

Goodness... what about the fumes??

Not as bad as I expected....It helped that windows were open (basement shop)
and a large patton fan was blowing out of the door. I'd expect the volume
with the small sprayer might have been considerably less than more proper
equipment.......no obvious ignition sources either.....I've sprayed a couple
of smaller items outside....if the weather permits I'd prefer it.....oddly
the Mrs. can not tolerate certain solvents especially PVC cement and carpet
glue (ER visits and several day recuperation) but Deft and/or lacquer
thinner doesn't bother her.

That Deft stuff is great..I brush
on the little bevels on custom laminate countertops with the stuff and
really like the way it works...but spraying without a booth? You must
have had a LOT of airflow somehow.

I've even been able to brush itG

I have never sprayed Deft, but looked at the possibility many
times...so you were happy with the results, eh?

Yes

Did you scuff 'tween
coats?

Just before the last coat on the bottom, sides and faceframe, inside the cab
was a little more forgivingg.......otherwise I used a cab scraper to touch
up flaws between coats.....

What did you use to clean your equipment?

Lacquer thinner.

Rod