Posted to rec.woodworking
David Starr David Starr is offline

Default Finishing interior surfaces of kitchen cabinets

Peter Wells wrote:
I'm slowly getting myself convinced that I can tackle a set of kitchen
cabinets. My basic construction skills are pretty much there, but I'm no
where regarding finishing. I bought a book but it only covered fine
furniture. To the question - the interior parts will be birch plywood, I'm
happy with the color so am looking for a finish to make the surface more
durable. I'm more concerned about making a good job than speed. I don't
have a spray booth, and the garage is pretty dusty (could be cleaned of
course), I do have a decent set of HVLP equipment.

All suggestions or pointers welcome,

thanks,

Peter

I made a whole kitchen worth of cabinets from kits some years ago.
The wood was OK, but not pretty enough to justify a clear finish. I
used oil based enamel, applied with a brush. Finishing schedule went
like this.
Sand (orbital pad sander) down to 220 grit.
Dust with a tack rag to get the sanding dust off.
One coat shellac, brush on, dry overnight
sand again with 220 grit to kill the nubbles and rud down the high
spots. Wipe with tack rag.
One coat enamel, brush on, dry over night, or even two nights
sand again, wipe with tack rag
second coat enamal
sand yet again
coat of Butchers wax.
Result was very good looking, paint covered the wood grain
completely, and it lasted for years.

Should I want a clear finish, I'd just substitute poly varnish for the
enamel. And stain the wood first (before the shellac primer coat). A
power sander makes the sanding go faster than you would expect.

David Starr