Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Best kitchen floor surfaces?

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 6:16:56 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 4:02:56 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:52:24 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

I favor sheet vinyl. No seams for spilled milk to infiltrate. But
it's no longer fashionable.

Cindy Hamilton

What do you mean? you can get it to look like ANYTHING that happens
to be in fashion. - and the new premium vinyl product, although not
"sheet" is still spill-proof - plank, tile, or whatever you want.

Sure, you can get it to look like anything. But people--especially those
who care what's in fashion--tend to want what's specifically fashionable.

And usually there is a big difference in something that "looks like" and
something that really is. Vinyl sheet flooring that looks like wood?

Plank? Really? What happens when I drop a glass of milk? Doesn't it
seep down between the planks? I'll admit I haven't looked at flooring
very closely because I'm not on the verge of remodeling my kitchen.

Cindy Hamilton

The modern engineered hardwoods fit together very tightly. Apparently it's
not a problem. I would be a bit worried about water leaks that put more
water on it, where it may not be seen or detected for a long time, etc.
though.