Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Best kitchen floor surfaces?

On 2/10/2019 12:44 PM, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

I wanted hard wood when we built the house almost 10 years ago.
However, we do have a large dog and hard wood was not recommended. So
we put in laminate. It looks as good as when it was new. Yes there
might be a ding here or there, but, it really doesn't show. The
laminate even survived a situation when the fridge decided to turn
itself off when we were on vacation. Water from the freezer did leak
out and swell it a bit but after it dried the swelling now is almost
invisible. In my previous house we had ceramic tile. If you dropped
something glass on it, not only did the glass break, but the tile
usually chipped.