Old February 10th 19, 09:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best kitchen floor surfaces?

On 2/10/2019 3:00 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:44:25 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

Solid premium vinyl

* Armstrong used to have (and may still) a solid vinyl line that was
really tough . Bitch to install too , had to warm it up to cut it .
We're undecided whether to carry the (solid 3/4" prefinished
oak)hardwood into the "wet" areas . I planned on ceramic or porcelain
tile in the bathrooms and kitchen work area , but she kinda likes the
idea of it all being hardwood .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old February 10th 19, 09:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

wrote:

My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

Solid premium vinyl

* Armstrong used to have (and may still) a solid vinyl line that was
really tough . Bitch to install too , had to warm it up to cut it .
We're undecided whether to carry the (solid 3/4" prefinished
oak)hardwood into the "wet" areas . I planned on ceramic or porcelain
tile in the bathrooms and kitchen work area , but she kinda likes the
idea of it all being hardwood .

hardwood buckles nicely after a few spills on it
Old February 10th 19, 11:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:40:55 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My house has porcelain tile. Nice here in warm climate but you may not
like it in cooler places. Very easy to clean.

Agree on porcelain. Mine is 16"x24" with scalloped edges. In a brick
pattern. Attractive, easy to clean. The entire house is also the same.
A few rugs about and things are just fine.
Old February 11th 19, 12:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

Solid premium vinyl

Armstrong used to have (and may still) a solid vinyl line that was
really tough . Bitch to install too , had to warm it up to cut it .
We're undecided whether to carry the (solid 3/4" prefinished
oak)hardwood into the "wet" areas . I planned on ceramic or porcelain
tile in the bathrooms and kitchen work area , but she kinda likes the
idea of it all being hardwood .

It was called Solarian, if memory serves me right and yes a bitch to install
especially in cold weather. I remember epoxy was used on seams

Old February 11th 19, 12:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

* Yeah , Designer Solarian ! There were cheaper solids that didn't have
the no-wax finish too . Best way we found to fit that stuff was to
scribe a pattern from roofing felt and cut it out before it ever went
into place . Sounds like you know a bit about the business , did y'all
ever go coving ? Roll the flooring 4 1/2" up the wall with an aluminum
cap strip . Fun !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old February 11th 19, 11:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/19 6:16 AM, wrote:
Plank? Really? What happens when I drop a glass of milk? Doesn't it
seep down between the planks? I'll admit I haven't looked at flooring
very closely because I'm not on the verge of remodeling my kitchen.

Cindy Hamilton

Maybe this would help?

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Mira.../dp/B00MRZIGXY

Old February 11th 19, 01:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 6:16:56 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 4:02:56 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:52:24 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

I favor sheet vinyl. No seams for spilled milk to infiltrate. But
it's no longer fashionable.

Cindy Hamilton

What do you mean? you can get it to look like ANYTHING that happens
to be in fashion. - and the new premium vinyl product, although not
"sheet" is still spill-proof - plank, tile, or whatever you want.

Sure, you can get it to look like anything. But people--especially those
who care what's in fashion--tend to want what's specifically fashionable.

And usually there is a big difference in something that "looks like" and
something that really is. Vinyl sheet flooring that looks like wood?

Plank? Really? What happens when I drop a glass of milk? Doesn't it
seep down between the planks? I'll admit I haven't looked at flooring
very closely because I'm not on the verge of remodeling my kitchen.

Cindy Hamilton

The modern engineered hardwoods fit together very tightly. Apparently it's
not a problem. I would be a bit worried about water leaks that put more
water on it, where it may not be seen or detected for a long time, etc.
though.

Old February 11th 19, 03:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:22:49 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor...[...] Any suggestions?

Suggestions for what? Replacing the wood floor? Or ideas to
prevent the problems you cite, leaving the floor there? If
it was me and the floor was in good condition, I'd just enjoy
it and look at the positives. Like everything, there are
tradeoffs.

Hey, if there is a way to waterproof it I would be interested
to hear. We thought it was a bit odd to have a wooden kitchen
floor and I have had a few puddles that did soak in a bit.
Old February 11th 19, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2019 10:08 AM, Davej wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:22:49 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor...[...] Any suggestions?

Suggestions for what? Replacing the wood floor? Or ideas to
prevent the problems you cite, leaving the floor there? If
it was me and the floor was in good condition, I'd just enjoy
it and look at the positives. Like everything, there are
tradeoffs.

Hey, if there is a way to waterproof it I would be interested
to hear. We thought it was a bit odd to have a wooden kitchen
floor and I have had a few puddles that did soak in a bit.

A few coats of polyurethane usually works.

Finishing interior surfaces of kitchen cabinets Peter Wells Woodworking 7 May 7th 07 03:13 PM
kitchen work surfaces patrick UK diy 14 April 22nd 05 10:27 PM
Rust on tool surfaces Larry Crosby Woodworking 5 March 28th 05 09:49 PM
Paint which surfaces of indoor built-in bookcases? Bill Courington Woodworking 8 February 12th 05 04:51 PM
Cleaning grout from tile surfaces John Rumm UK diy 5 January 20th 05 09:01 PM