Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

Default JUICEY BRUCEY ASKS, "How does a thermocouple have enough power tooperate a gas valve?"

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 02:46:21 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:57:34 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 22:33:38 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 20:04:33 -0000, jew pedo wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 19:57:22 -0000, "Bruce Farquhar"
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 19:48:45 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 18:46:24 -0000, jew pedo
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 17:31:28 -0000, "Bruce Farquhar"
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 17:29:18 -0000, Colonel Edmund J. Burke
wrote:

On 12/11/2018 9:26 AM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 17:04:22 -0000, Colonel Edmund J. Burke
wrote:

On 12/8/2018 8:41 AM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On older boilers (furnaces if you're American), when the
heating
isn't actually running (eg. the thermostat says the house is
warm
enough), there's no power to the boiler, so how does the
pilot
light
valve stay open with the tiny voltage (40mV?) and current
from
the
thermocouple?

The basic problem with english engineering is that it hasn't
much beyond the 1500s. We superior Americans, however,
employ
the
use of electronic ignitors.

As do we with new boilers. But our stuff must last longer
because
lot of folk still have one with a pilot light, the only ones
that
don't are the morons that thought they should spend £1000 to
get
boiler that will save them £50 a year on gas. So you make a
profit in
20 years time, why bother? My boiler is at least 25 years old
and
I've only ever replaced the thermocouple for £7. It could be
newer
fancier boilers have more to go wrong, I've heard of a modern
boiler
lasting only 7 years!!

If you don't know what that is, see one of my recent poasts
concerning the pigtailing of neutral and ground circuits..

What has pigtailing to do with electronic igniters?

You'd need an electrician's license to even comprehend what I
would
tell you about that.

Licenses are for pussies. I just prefer to get on with the job.

IF I ever hire anyone (and usually I do all my own work), I
purposefully
avoid anyone with any certifications, it just means they charge
more
and
are more fussy and won't do the work the way I want it.

Colon Burke is the idiot who said the top pin of a 3-pin plug was
for
neutral.

Technically it is.

Nope.

Earth = neutral = 0 volts.

Nope. There are 3 pins for a reason, stupid.

Funny how the devices all work with the top one disconnected.

Until there's a problem.

Depends on the problem. If I touch something live, I'd rather not
have
another part of me resting against an earthed appliance.

Yes, you actually are that stupid.

No, I know I need to complete a circuit. Chances are in my kitchen that
an earth will come form my knee against a washing machine etc.

Only if you are actually stupid enough to be stark naked in the middle of
winter.

Are you trying to tell me 240V won't go through jeans?

I am succeeding in telling you that.

"Are you trying to persuade me 240V won't go through jeans?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default nuclear thermal generators, was: How does a thermocouple ...

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 02:49:47 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:47:54 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 22:16:44 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Bruce Farquhar
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 21:37:04 -0000, Tim Streater

wrote:

In article , Bruce Farquhar
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 18:18:12 -0000, Tim Streater

wrote:

In article , Bruce
Farquhar
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 15:51:16 -0000, Tim Streater

It doesn't cause any harm: it's in sealed containers.

Which never break over 100s of years when the company is
bankrupt
and the
government has changed and a war broke out and there was an
earthquake,
yeah
right.

Under those circs the status of the underground repository is the
least
of your worries.

Rubbish. The war might not directly affect me, but the nuclear
fallout
would.

Why d'ye think I suggest the Marianna Trench? Cos down there
37,000
feet below sea level, it ain't gonna matter.

Yeah, bugger the sea life. Bugger all those who eat the
radioactive
fish.

What fish would those be then, at 37,000 feet below sea level?

Is nuclear waste heavier than water then? And immune to currents?

Once it's been glassified and encased in steel/concrete it is. Which
is
the SOP for it when it's put in an underground repository. Did ye
think
they'd just send out a tanker and pump it over the side?

Even if it all escaped, it could just join the 4 billion tons of
uranium in the Earth's oceans. And that's just the uranium.

You may well be correct. Too much Greenpeace bull**** about.

But we do hear a lot about the trade of spent fuel and the problems of
no
country wanting it....

Some do in fact reprocess it and return everything to the source
country.

I heard nobody wanted to do it anymore because of the dangers (possibly
in
transportation).

You heard wrong.

Then I guess all news channels are lying.

One of ours reported ours being moved to europe for reprocessing
and the return of all the result of the reprocessing to here, recently.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-...emoved/9643428

Also that governments don't like it getting shipped internationally
because terrorists that's pronounced tourist in America) can nick it to
make dirty weapons.

No they can not. And its trivial to ensure that they can't knick it
anyway.

Even banks get nicked from.

But no one has ever nicked any used fuel rods
being moved for reprocessing in the west.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 02:48:13 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:56:15 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 22:32:37 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 20:03:33 -0000, jew pedo
wrote:

wrote:

On 12/8/2018 8:41 AM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On older boilers (furnaces if you're American), when the
heating
isn't actually running (eg. the thermostat says the house is
warm
enough), there's no power to the boiler, so how does the
pilot
light valve stay open with the tiny voltage (40mV?) and
current
from the thermocouple?

The basic problem with english engineering is that it hasn't
advanced much beyond the 1500s. We superior Americans,
[...]

Technically it is. Earth = neutral = 0 volts.

That's what that idiot KKKoloon thought. Neutral is not the same
as
Earth (aka Ground in the Great Satan).

Zero is zero.

Wrong, as always. And the neutral isnt always zero.

Compared to 240V, it's pretty damn near enough zero.

If I connect my desk lamp to live and earth, it will function the
same.

Wrong with the safety protection.

I assume you're talking about an earthed lamp.

Stupid assumption.

Then state what you really meant.

I did in the other.

What?

Stated what I really meant.

So I've now got my lamp's casing connected to 0V instead of 0V. I'm
sure my finger won't be able to tell the difference.

It will with a fault that see the active in contact with the case.

That would be a dead short,

Not when you are actually stupid enough to cut off the earth wire.

The casing could be connected to neutral.

Not in the UK it isnt.

blowing the fuse before I had a chance to touch the lamp.

Wrong, as always.

Just like a fuse currently blows by a short to earth.

Not when you stupidly cut off all the earths.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:24:18 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 13/12/2018 15:19, Fred Johnson wrote:

I heard nobody wanted to do it anymore because of the dangers
(possibly in
transportation).

You heard wrong.

Then I guess all news channels are lying.

That is a very reasonable default assumption.

Agreed. So is "99% of people are liars", "99% of people are stupid". I
sometimes wonder how the human race survives.

Lies and stupidity are trivially survivable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news

wrote:

On 13/12/2018 15:19, Fred Johnson wrote:

I heard nobody wanted to do it anymore because of the dangers
(possibly in
transportation).

You heard wrong.

Then I guess all news channels are lying.

That is a very reasonable default assumption.

Agreed. So is "99% of people are liars", "99% of people are stupid". I
sometimes wonder how the human race survives.

I am not sure it has.

Change has to will and I'll believe you. Although I'd say the 1% would
survive, which would be fun, we'd have more room without all the morons.

Its normally the morons that survive, too stupid to kill themselves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

wrote:

[...]

I'm not trying to persuade anyone, I am stating a fact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 16:13:29 +0000, The Natural IDIOT blathered again:

Agreed.* So is "99% of people are liars", "99% of people are stupid".* I
sometimes wonder how the human race survives.

I am not sure it has.

Especially if one watches you two natural idiots! BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:24:18 +0000, The Natural Idiot blathered again:

Then I guess all news channels are lying.

That is a very reasonable default assumption.

And the Scottish sow managed to get you to suck him off, ONCE MORE! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 04:07:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 219 lines of the two prize idiots' stinking troll ****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 04:02:00 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 22:38:42 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 03:11:20 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 20:15:38 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 01:51:22 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 23:51:58 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 23:39:29 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 21:57:01 -0000, Clare Snyder

wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 08:27:52 +1100, "Tim J"

wrote:

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
As far as Chernobyl and Fukishama, the effects of the
leaked
radiation
may never be fully known - but the FACT there will be
detrimental
effects is known and accepted by anyone with hal;f a
functioning
brain
cell.

Radiation - man made or man influenced or not - is KNOWN
have
health issues - as basic as increased skin cancer from
extreme
exposure to sun-light.

Anything that increased our exposure to harmfull
radiation
SHOULD
be
of concern, but risks and benefits need to be assessed
and
balanced.

And many don't realise that coal fired power stations put
a lot more radiation into the atmosphere than nukes do
even than 3 mile island did.
Like I said - NUKES are as safe as, or safer than, most
"conventional" alternatives

The thorium content of fly-ash constitutes an "atomic
waste"
with
thorium and uranium levels in crops around coal plants up
200
times
higher than around nuke stations

Until the nuke station goes wrong.

Even when it does, 3 mile island didn't do anything special
when
it
did
go
wrong.

What happened with Chernobyl and Fukushima is trivially
avoidable. Ensure that the stand by generators are well above
where any tsunami can get to in the case of Fukushima and
don't play silly buggers with the reactor in the case of
Chernobyl.

All very well if everyone is a robot or sensible. But humans
will
****
up.

Trivial to avoid them ****ing up as badly as they did at
Fukushima.
Not much harder with Chernobyl.

Many things are trivial and still get done wrongly. To err is
human.

And trivial to ensure that they don't err with something as
important
as
nuke.

Only as long as you have almost all sensible people working there.

Don't need anything like that.

It only takes a couple to skip some checks.

And trivial to ensure that they can't get away with that.

That's why I said a couple.

Very bloody unlikely that you would get a couple
doing that with something as important as a nuke
which can see the whole thing melt down with no
containment vessel to catch it in the case of Chernobyl.

It might be through stupidity and not on purpose.

Never said it was on purpose.

Stupidity does not necessarily decrease when things are important.

They don't survive a system of checks that you
get with something as important as nukes.

And that's not what caused TMI, Chernobyl and Fukushima anyway.

I thought TMI and Chernobyl were both human error/stupidity?

Only Chernobyl.

TMI and Fukushima were certainly due to human error/stupidity at the
design stage.

There you go then, human error can occur anywhere.

But with something as important as a nuke, the checks
should ensure that they don't get thru to the final product.

Should. But if there are enough morons, faults get overlooked.

Its isnt enough morons, it's the lack of checks. That's how
Fukushima ended up with its backup generators where they
could be taken out by a tsunami that was known to happen there.

And with TMI, no one bothered to check that the user interface
on the indications of loss of coolant water did make it easy to
see what was actually happening with the coolant level. In fact
it was so misleading they they thought it had too much coolant
when it fact it was much too little, so they pumped out even more
and eventually the consequences of that saw the venting of
radioactive material. Which was nothing like that a coal fired
power station of the same size would do routinely.

We're saying the same thing. Humans just aren't bright enough to design
things properly.

Must be why we are still 'living' caves and
running around stark naked everywhere.

Just count how many stupid things on your car could have been made better
at no extra cost.

None of those in my car. A few things are missing like
cruise control, but that would obviously cost more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FLUSH another 208 lines of stinking troll****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rot Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rot: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rot: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rot Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rot Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 04:20:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Lies and stupidity are trivially survivable.

Not for too much longer for YOU though, you 85-year-old, stupid, lying,
senile cretin! BG

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 04:33:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Its normally the morons that survive, too stupid to kill themselves.

Yeah, and you two idiots are a case in point! LOL

--
Java Jive to senile Rot:
You're getting there, it's clear that you've now reached the level of
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 04:14:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH over a hundred lines of the two prize idiots' endless sick ****

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rot:

Senile Rot: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rot: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 04:34:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

I'm not trying to persuade anyone, I am stating a fact.

The ONLY fact here being that you are a senile obnoxious cretinous troll,
senile Rot!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 04:19:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 152 lines of stinking troll****

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rot:

Senile Rot: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rot: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Can we cure the common cold? Cancer? My high blood pressure? Can we send people to other planets?

Just count how many stupid things on your car could have been made better
at no extra cost.

None of those in my car. A few things are missing like
cruise control, but that would obviously cost more.

Why are hazard light switches not in a common place on all cars? Why do some wiper switches operate up and some down? Why is there no standard for headlight brightness? Why do some cars have **** all legroom? Why do half of cars still use a rubber band for the timing chain?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

wrote:

[...]

I don't believe you. When your leg is pressed against the washing machine, the electricity doesn't have to go far to get through the threads - after all, it gets through the paint on the machine. And also the denim could be wet in a kitchen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 13/12/2018 15:19, Fred Johnson wrote:

I heard nobody wanted to do it anymore because of the dangers
(possibly in
transportation).

You heard wrong.

Then I guess all news channels are lying.

That is a very reasonable default assumption.

Agreed. So is "99% of people are liars", "99% of people are stupid". I
sometimes wonder how the human race survives.

I am not sure it has.

Change has to will and I'll believe you. Although I'd say the 1% would
survive, which would be fun, we'd have more room without all the morons.

Its normally the morons that survive, too stupid to kill themselves.

If something happened on earth that required intelligence to survive, the stupid would die off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 13/12/2018 15:19, Fred Johnson wrote:

I heard nobody wanted to do it anymore because of the dangers
(possibly in
transportation).

You heard wrong.

Then I guess all news channels are lying.

That is a very reasonable default assumption.

Agreed. So is "99% of people are liars", "99% of people are stupid". I
sometimes wonder how the human race survives.

Lies and stupidity are trivially survivable.

Only with left wing governments.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

wrote:

[...]

Can't be bothered finding this "other" (post?)

So I've now got my lamp's casing connected to 0V instead of 0V. I'm
sure my finger won't be able to tell the difference.

It will with a fault that see the active in contact with the case.

That would be a dead short,

Not when you are actually stupid enough to cut off the earth wire.

The casing could be connected to neutral.

Not in the UK it isnt.

I said COULD. I was explaining why earth is pointless.

blowing the fuse before I had a chance to touch the lamp.

Wrong, as always.

Just like a fuse currently blows by a short to earth.

Not when you stupidly cut off all the earths.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Dec 2018 18:29:19 -0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 09/12/2018 16:40, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
A thermocouple produces enough to power a spacecraft?!? Or just for
some small electronics?

They can generate up to a few hundred watts, enough for the electronics,
instruments and transmitter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioi...tric_generator

A few of those could power a house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Dec 2018 17:16:12 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 11:36:53 AM UTC-5, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sun, 09 Dec 2018 02:18:42 -0000, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 22:59:22 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Clive Arthur writes:
On 08/12/2018 17:51, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2018 17:40:57 -0000, wrote:

On 12/8/18 11:41 AM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On older boilers (furnaces if you're American), when the heating isn't
actually running (eg. the thermostat says the house is warm enough),
there's no power to the boiler, so how does the pilot light valve stay
open with the tiny voltage (40mV?) and current from the thermocouple?

To *hold* the valve open only requires a small voltage & current. To
*pull* the valve open would require a larger voltage. That's why you
have to "Press & Hold" the manual knob to restart a pilot.

See here for more detail:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermo...pliance_safety

I see, thanks. I thought the "press and hold" was just to keep the
valve open until the thermocouple warmed up. So I'm providing the
effort to open the valve with my thumb. That link states 0.2-0.25A - do
you really get that much current off a thermocouple?

Yes, it's a very low impedance source, a metal to different metal
contact. 10mV 200mA is 50 milliohms. It's only 2mW, but that's a very
small proportion of the pilot flame power.

Indeed - a pilot flame is typically around 250W.

A lot closer to 65 than 250 for MOST natural gas pilot lights (about
60 cu meters per year) Some of the really old ones may have used 4
times as much - - -
Nothing available today (in a furnace) (at least in Canada) has a
standing pilot. All have electric ignition as part of the "high
efficiency"standard.

I doubt it's as high as either of those, or your gas bill would be astronomical. Plus the boiler would feel pretty damn warm to the touch even when not using the main burner. Imagine leaving a 60W lightbulb running inside a metal box and think how hot it would get.

I could run a 60W bulb 24/7 for a month here for $5 using electric.
Natural gas is about half the cost of electric or less, so figure ~$2
a month for a 60W pilot light. That's not astronomical nor would
60W going into a boiler produce much in the way of raising it's temp
significantly. Most of that small amount of heat probably goes right
up the flue with the natural draft that's there, unless it's a modern
one that limits that. But those don't have pilot lights.

Since I worked my gas bill out to be £10 a month for the pilot light (which is an absurdly high cost), my boiler must have a very powerful pilot light - yet looking at the flame it's smaller than a candle flame.

Or maybe it was £10 a year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

wrote:

[...]

Even more true of insulating tape which works fine anyway.

- after all, it gets through the paint on the machine.

And also the denim could be wet in a kitchen.

Unlikely to be wet enough to matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 13/12/2018 15:19, Fred Johnson wrote:

I heard nobody wanted to do it anymore because of the dangers
(possibly in
transportation).

You heard wrong.

Then I guess all news channels are lying.

That is a very reasonable default assumption.

Agreed. So is "99% of people are liars", "99% of people are stupid".
sometimes wonder how the human race survives.

I am not sure it has.

Change has to will and I'll believe you. Although I'd say the 1% would
survive, which would be fun, we'd have more room without all the morons.

Its normally the morons that survive, too stupid to kill themselves.

If something happened on earth that required intelligence to survive, the
stupid would die off.

Yes, but that isnt possible, requiring intelligence to survive.
Even very stupid animals like chooks and sheep survived
and they aint exactly rocket science material.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 13/12/2018 15:19, Fred Johnson wrote:

I heard nobody wanted to do it anymore because of the dangers
(possibly in
transportation).

You heard wrong.

Then I guess all news channels are lying.

That is a very reasonable default assumption.

Agreed. So is "99% of people are liars", "99% of people are stupid". I
sometimes wonder how the human race survives.

Lies and stupidity are trivially survivable.

Only with left wing governments.

That's completely silly. Lies and stupidity were trivially
survivable under the most rabid fascist government too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

wrote:

[...]

Didn't need to, posted the same day. Even you should be able to find it.

So I've now got my lamp's casing connected to 0V instead of 0V. I'm
sure my finger won't be able to tell the difference.

It will with a fault that see the active in contact with the case.

That would be a dead short,

Not when you are actually stupid enough to cut off the earth wire.

The casing could be connected to neutral.

Not in the UK it isnt.

I said COULD.

Irrelevant to what is being discussed.

I was explaining why earth is pointless.

It isnt pointless. The earthed case is there so that if the active
comes adrift inside the device and contacts the case, that takes
out the fuse or burns out the whisker of active wire. Without
that the case is at 240V and touching the case and another earth
like the kitchen sink or a concrete floor can electrocute you.
And it stays dangerous with no warning at all until that happens.

And you didn't explain anything, you flaunted your ignorance.

blowing the fuse before I had a chance to touch the lamp.

Wrong, as always.

Just like a fuse currently blows by a short to earth.

Not when you stupidly cut off all the earths.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 09:57:14 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH the two abnormal prize idiots' latest absolutely idiotic drivel

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 09:55:34 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH the two abnormal blathering idiots' latest idiotic sick drivel

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rot:

Senile Rot: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rot: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 09:45:57 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH 188 lines of the usual troll****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Java Jive to senile Rot:
You're getting there, it's clear that you've now reached the level of
"Nyah nyah nanyah nyah!", but surely you can be even more juvenile than
that?
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 09/12/2018 16:40, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
A thermocouple produces enough to power a spacecraft?!? Or just for
some small electronics?

They can generate up to a few hundred watts, enough for the electronics,
instruments and transmitter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioi...tric_generator

A few of those could power a house.

Don't even need a few with the ones that powered remote lighthouses.
That's why a few did get stolen to power remote fishing/hunting shacks etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 10:08:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH all the idiotic drivel unread again

....and f'up to alt.idiots!
--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rot Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rot: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rot: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rot Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rot Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 10:04:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 186 lines of stinking toll****

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 23:39:29 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

Can we cure the common cold?

That remains to be seen. Currently we have a problem with
vaccination with infectious disease that mutates too fast.
It remains to be seen if we can invent some way of doing
vaccination that works on the bits that don't change as fast.

Cancer?

That remains to been too.

My high blood pressure?

Yes, bullet in the back of the neck cures that trivially.
And contraceptives avoid you showing up in the first place.

Can we send people to other planets?

Corse we can. Only problem is that they arrive there dead currently.

Just count how many stupid things on your car could have been made
better at no extra cost.

None of those in my car. A few things are missing like
cruise control, but that would obviously cost more.

Why are hazard light switches not in a common place on all cars?

Because hardly anyone wants to change the way they currently do theirs.

Why do some wiper switches operate up and some down?

Because while ever there is more than one way of doing
something, someone will decide to do it both ways.

Why is there no standard for headlight brightness?

Same reason there is no standard for room light brightness.

Why do some cars have **** all legroom?

Because that's cheaper than having lots of legroom.

Same with aircraft seats.

Why do half of cars still use a rubber band for the timing chain?

Because that's much cheaper than a metal chain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FLUSH 266 lines of the two idiots' endless sick ****

F'up to alt.idiots

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Should have been done by now.

Cancer?

That remains to been too.

Also should have been done by now.

My high blood pressure?

Yes, bullet in the back of the neck cures that trivially.
And contraceptives avoid you showing up in the first place.

Your means are questionable.

Can we send people to other planets?

Corse we can. Only problem is that they arrive there dead currently.

That wasn't what I was asking and you well know it.

Just count how many stupid things on your car could have been made
better at no extra cost.

None of those in my car. A few things are missing like
cruise control, but that would obviously cost more.

Why are hazard light switches not in a common place on all cars?

Because hardly anyone wants to change the way they currently do theirs.

But I see it in different places within the models of one manufacturer. I've even had a Renault van with it on the ceiling!

Since it's to be used in an emergency, you'd think there would be a legal requirement to have it easy to find.

Why do some wiper switches operate up and some down?

Because while ever there is more than one way of doing
something, someone will decide to do it both ways.

If I designed a car, I'd make my switches go the same way as the majority, so as not to confuse most drivers.

But we used to have one, 55W dipped, 65W full. Then LEDs came out and there was no new standard made. Some legal **** took it as 55W of power usage, not brightness, so we have BMWs that prevent people coming the other way from being able to see.

Why do some cars have **** all legroom?

Because that's cheaper than having lots of legroom.

No it isn't. MY friend's Ford Mondeo is large inside, except for the centre console being ****ing massive, so your legs and the passenger's legs haver to be perfectly straight. There's nothing in the centre console which requires this lump, just the usual gearstick, stereo, heater controls, etc.

Same with aircraft seats.

Why do half of cars still use a rubber band for the timing chain?

Because that's much cheaper than a metal chain.

Compared to the price of the car it's negligible. And people would be more likely to buy a car that doesn't destroy the engine because a piece of rubber snaps. Simon Mason's Alfa Romeo just stretched the chain if I remember correctly, no damage to the engine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Easy to claim given how long it took to invent vaccination.

Cancer?

That remains to been too.

Also should have been done by now.

Remains to be seen if its even possible.

My high blood pressure?

Yes, bullet in the back of the neck cures that trivially.
And contraceptives avoid you showing up in the first place.

Your means are questionable.

Nope, it's a guaranteed cure.

Also works for the common cold and cancer as well.

Can we send people to other planets?

Corse we can. Only problem is that they arrive there dead currently.

That wasn't what I was asking

You have always been, and always will be, completely
and utterly irrelevant. What you may or may not claim
to have asked in spades.

Just count how many stupid things on your car could have been made
better at no extra cost.

None of those in my car. A few things are missing like
cruise control, but that would obviously cost more.

Why are hazard light switches not in a common place on all cars?

Because hardly anyone wants to change the way they currently do theirs.

But I see it in different places within the models of one manufacturer.

Only with stupid frog cars.

I've even had a Renault van with it on the ceiling!

See above.

Since it's to be used in an emergency, you'd think there would be a legal
requirement to have it easy to find.

Mine is, ****ing great orange colored switch
right in the middle of the top of the dash.

Why do some wiper switches operate up and some down?

Because while ever there is more than one way of doing
something, someone will decide to do it both ways.

If I designed a car, I'd make my switches go the same way as the majority,
so as not to confuse most drivers.

But with plenty of stuff there is no clear majority.

In spades now that so many cars only have the basics
done with switches on the steering wheel hub and
even stuff like climate control stuff done with a single
decent sized touch screen panel in the center of the dash.

Why is there no standard for headlight brightness?

Same reason there is no standard for room light brightness.

But we used to have one, 55W dipped, 65W full.

No we did not.

Then LEDs came out and there was no new standard made.

There was never a previous standard.

Some legal **** took it as 55W of power usage, not brightness,

The 55/65 was power usage, not brightness.

And we didn't go from incandescents to LEDs either.

so we have BMWs that prevent people coming the other way from being able
to see.

I can see fine.

Why do some cars have **** all legroom?

Because that's cheaper than having lots of legroom.

No it isn't.

Corse it is.

Bull****.

There's nothing in the centre console which requires this lump, just the
usual gearstick, stereo, heater controls, etc.

Yep, ****ed by design, like your frog car.

Same with aircraft seats.

Why do half of cars still use a rubber band for the timing chain?

Because that's much cheaper than a metal chain.

Compared to the price of the car it's negligible.

Still saves a lot over millions of those engines.

And people would be more likely to buy a car that doesn't destroy the
engine because a piece of rubber snaps.

They clearly don't.

Simon Mason's Alfa Romeo just stretched the chain if I remember correctly,

You don't, the chain tensioner is what failed.

no damage to the engine.

Yes, those do fail gracefully.

But the others don't fail often enough to matter
and are normally covered by the warranty now
anyway with the new much longer warrantys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/18 3:24 PM, Fred Johnson wrote:
Why do half of cars still use a rubber band for the timing chain?

So their crooked service departments can charge $800+ to change it every 75K miles.
Rubber-band timing on an interference engine is a criminal act.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile YANKIETARD Alert!

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 08:03:55 -0500, Toy Ota, another "new" troll-feeding
senile idiot, blathered again:

So their crooked service departments can charge $800+ to change it every 75K miles.
Rubber-band timing on an interference engine is a criminal act.

Nope, it's just so that attention starved mental cases like him can ask
stupid questions on Usenet and a few senile idiots like you got another
occasion to feed the troll! tsk