Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default nuclear thermal generators, was: How does a thermocouple ...

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 02:49:47 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:47:54 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 22:16:44 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Bruce Farquhar
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 21:37:04 -0000, Tim Streater

wrote:

In article , Bruce Farquhar
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 18:18:12 -0000, Tim Streater

wrote:

In article , Bruce
Farquhar
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 15:51:16 -0000, Tim Streater

It doesn't cause any harm: it's in sealed containers.

Which never break over 100s of years when the company is
bankrupt
and the
government has changed and a war broke out and there was an
earthquake,
yeah
right.

Under those circs the status of the underground repository is the
least
of your worries.

Rubbish. The war might not directly affect me, but the nuclear
fallout
would.

Why d'ye think I suggest the Marianna Trench? Cos down there
37,000
feet below sea level, it ain't gonna matter.

Yeah, bugger the sea life. Bugger all those who eat the
radioactive
fish.

What fish would those be then, at 37,000 feet below sea level?

Is nuclear waste heavier than water then? And immune to currents?

Once it's been glassified and encased in steel/concrete it is. Which
is
the SOP for it when it's put in an underground repository. Did ye
think
they'd just send out a tanker and pump it over the side?

Even if it all escaped, it could just join the 4 billion tons of
uranium in the Earth's oceans. And that's just the uranium.

You may well be correct. Too much Greenpeace bull**** about.

But we do hear a lot about the trade of spent fuel and the problems of
no
country wanting it....

Some do in fact reprocess it and return everything to the source
country.

I heard nobody wanted to do it anymore because of the dangers (possibly
in
transportation).

You heard wrong.

Then I guess all news channels are lying.

One of ours reported ours being moved to europe for reprocessing
and the return of all the result of the reprocessing to here, recently.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-...emoved/9643428

Also that governments don't like it getting shipped internationally
because terrorists that's pronounced tourist in America) can nick it to
make dirty weapons.

No they can not. And its trivial to ensure that they can't knick it
anyway.

Even banks get nicked from.

But no one has ever nicked any used fuel rods
being moved for reprocessing in the west.