Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred Johnson Fred Johnson is offline

Default nuclear thermal generators, was: How does a thermocouple ...

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 23:52:47 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:21:28 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 04:02:00 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 22:38:42 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 03:11:20 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 20:15:38 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

And that's not what caused TMI, Chernobyl and Fukushima anyway.

I thought TMI and Chernobyl were both human error/stupidity?

Only Chernobyl.

TMI and Fukushima were certainly due to human error/stupidity at
the
design stage.

There you go then, human error can occur anywhere.

But with something as important as a nuke, the checks
should ensure that they don't get thru to the final product.

Should. But if there are enough morons, faults get overlooked.

Its isnt enough morons, it's the lack of checks. That's how
Fukushima ended up with its backup generators where they
could be taken out by a tsunami that was known to happen there.

And with TMI, no one bothered to check that the user interface
on the indications of loss of coolant water did make it easy to
see what was actually happening with the coolant level. In fact
it was so misleading they they thought it had too much coolant
when it fact it was much too little, so they pumped out even more
and eventually the consequences of that saw the venting of
radioactive material. Which was nothing like that a coal fired
power station of the same size would do routinely.

We're saying the same thing. Humans just aren't bright enough to design
things properly.

Must be why we are still 'living' caves and
running around stark naked everywhere.

Can we cure the common cold?

That remains to be seen. Currently we have a problem with
vaccination with infectious disease that mutates too fast.
It remains to be seen if we can invent some way of doing
vaccination that works on the bits that don't change as fast.

Should have been done by now.

Cancer?

That remains to been too.

Also should have been done by now.

My high blood pressure?

Yes, bullet in the back of the neck cures that trivially.
And contraceptives avoid you showing up in the first place.

Your means are questionable.

Can we send people to other planets?

Corse we can. Only problem is that they arrive there dead currently.

That wasn't what I was asking and you well know it.

Just count how many stupid things on your car could have been made
better at no extra cost.

None of those in my car. A few things are missing like
cruise control, but that would obviously cost more.

Why are hazard light switches not in a common place on all cars?

Because hardly anyone wants to change the way they currently do theirs.

But I see it in different places within the models of one manufacturer. I've even had a Renault van with it on the ceiling!

Since it's to be used in an emergency, you'd think there would be a legal requirement to have it easy to find.

Why do some wiper switches operate up and some down?

Because while ever there is more than one way of doing
something, someone will decide to do it both ways.

If I designed a car, I'd make my switches go the same way as the majority, so as not to confuse most drivers.

Why is there no standard for headlight brightness?

Same reason there is no standard for room light brightness.

But we used to have one, 55W dipped, 65W full. Then LEDs came out and there was no new standard made. Some legal **** took it as 55W of power usage, not brightness, so we have BMWs that prevent people coming the other way from being able to see.

Why do some cars have **** all legroom?

Because that's cheaper than having lots of legroom.

No it isn't. MY friend's Ford Mondeo is large inside, except for the centre console being ****ing massive, so your legs and the passenger's legs haver to be perfectly straight. There's nothing in the centre console which requires this lump, just the usual gearstick, stereo, heater controls, etc.

Same with aircraft seats.

Why do half of cars still use a rubber band for the timing chain?

Because that's much cheaper than a metal chain.

Compared to the price of the car it's negligible. And people would be more likely to buy a car that doesn't destroy the engine because a piece of rubber snaps. Simon Mason's Alfa Romeo just stretched the chain if I remember correctly, no damage to the engine.