Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default nuclear thermal generators, was: How does a thermocouple ...

"Fred Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 04:02:00 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 22:38:42 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 03:11:20 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 20:15:38 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 01:51:22 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 23:51:58 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 23:39:29 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 21:57:01 -0000, Clare Snyder

wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 08:27:52 +1100, "Tim J"

wrote:

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
As far as Chernobyl and Fukishama, the effects of the
leaked
radiation
may never be fully known - but the FACT there will be
detrimental
effects is known and accepted by anyone with hal;f a
functioning
brain
cell.

Radiation - man made or man influenced or not - is KNOWN
have
health issues - as basic as increased skin cancer from
extreme
exposure to sun-light.

Anything that increased our exposure to harmfull
radiation
SHOULD
be
of concern, but risks and benefits need to be assessed
and
balanced.

And many don't realise that coal fired power stations put
a lot more radiation into the atmosphere than nukes do
even than 3 mile island did.
Like I said - NUKES are as safe as, or safer than, most
"conventional" alternatives

The thorium content of fly-ash constitutes an "atomic
waste"
with
thorium and uranium levels in crops around coal plants up
200
times
higher than around nuke stations

Until the nuke station goes wrong.

Even when it does, 3 mile island didn't do anything special
when
it
did
go
wrong.

What happened with Chernobyl and Fukushima is trivially
avoidable. Ensure that the stand by generators are well above
where any tsunami can get to in the case of Fukushima and
don't play silly buggers with the reactor in the case of
Chernobyl.

All very well if everyone is a robot or sensible. But humans
will
****
up.

Trivial to avoid them ****ing up as badly as they did at
Fukushima.
Not much harder with Chernobyl.

Many things are trivial and still get done wrongly. To err is
human.

And trivial to ensure that they don't err with something as
important
as
nuke.

Only as long as you have almost all sensible people working there.

Don't need anything like that.

It only takes a couple to skip some checks.

And trivial to ensure that they can't get away with that.

That's why I said a couple.

Very bloody unlikely that you would get a couple
doing that with something as important as a nuke
which can see the whole thing melt down with no
containment vessel to catch it in the case of Chernobyl.

It might be through stupidity and not on purpose.

Never said it was on purpose.

Stupidity does not necessarily decrease when things are important.

They don't survive a system of checks that you
get with something as important as nukes.

And that's not what caused TMI, Chernobyl and Fukushima anyway.

I thought TMI and Chernobyl were both human error/stupidity?

Only Chernobyl.

TMI and Fukushima were certainly due to human error/stupidity at the
design stage.

There you go then, human error can occur anywhere.

But with something as important as a nuke, the checks
should ensure that they don't get thru to the final product.

Should. But if there are enough morons, faults get overlooked.

Its isnt enough morons, it's the lack of checks. That's how
Fukushima ended up with its backup generators where they
could be taken out by a tsunami that was known to happen there.

And with TMI, no one bothered to check that the user interface
on the indications of loss of coolant water did make it easy to
see what was actually happening with the coolant level. In fact
it was so misleading they they thought it had too much coolant
when it fact it was much too little, so they pumped out even more
and eventually the consequences of that saw the venting of
radioactive material. Which was nothing like that a coal fired
power station of the same size would do routinely.

We're saying the same thing. Humans just aren't bright enough to design
things properly.

Must be why we are still 'living' caves and
running around stark naked everywhere.

Just count how many stupid things on your car could have been made better
at no extra cost.

None of those in my car. A few things are missing like
cruise control, but that would obviously cost more.