Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default FLUSH 226 Lines of Stinking Troll ****...

....and much better air in here again!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 07:46:17 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH the two abnormal idiots' endless sick **** unread

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Li-Ion batteries

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 16:00:46 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:33:37 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 23:22:18 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

Steven Watkins wrote

Why was the AA LiIon size ever invented if it's no good?

Because its one of the most common battery sizes.

But due to it's differing voltage, it was never intended as a direct
replacement, but to power new devices that wanted more voltage, such
as
LED torches.

But some arent ideal with 18650. There are in fact one
hell of a range of LiIon cells of various sizes and if it
wasn't for the problem that LiIon doesn't work well
in the smaller diameter cells, it does make sense to
use an existing very common cell size.

But that problem is significant. And a single 18650 fits very well into
pocket torch or anything else I can think of except a mobile phone.

Not just mobile phones, tablets are too thick with those.

I'd forgotten about tablets, as I think they're a pointless invention.

More fool you.

Who wants to scrape their finger around on a piece of plastic all day?

Those who use them don't. And the screen is glass, not plastic, stupid.

Same with wireless mice and keyboards.

Those use so little power I just stick alkaline in them.

I do recharge mine. The keyboard has a fixed liIon inside, like a tablet.
The mouse has an AA that I recharge in a charger, with an alternate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 17:14:06 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:58:41 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 23:56:12 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message
news On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 22:12:24 -0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

On 02/11/2018 21:53, Steven Watkins wrote:
On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 21:34:53 -0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

On 02/11/2018 18:40, Steven Watkins wrote:
On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 16:53:15 -0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

On 02/11/2018 14:58, Steven Watkins wrote:

snipped

I purchased some torches with 14500s claimed to be 2400mAh
which
didn't believe. I doubt that they were even close to
850/900mAh
as
fully
charged they didn't last long in the torch. Replacement
900mAh
batteries
lasted much longer.

I have some GTL batteries (also called GIF) (Chinese ****)
that
say
2500. I tested them (bulb, ammeter) and got 500. Official
tests
I've
found on websites agree. Got them free, I moaned at the
seller
and
got
all the money back.

Decent makes like Efest, Sony, Sanyo are all quoted as 850 and
reviews
say you really get that. But 850 is pitiful, as NiMH gives
2700.

About the same energy, given that the lithium cells are about
three
times the voltage of the NiMH.

But if you consider a Panasonic 18500, at 3Ah and 3.7V, it's
twice
the
energy per volume. They just don't seem to get the higher
charge
density in the smaller AA size.

ITYM "Thanks, I'd overlooked that, and 'pitiful' was clearly
wrong".

No, by pitiful I meant "no better than the preceding technology".

OK, thanks. I've updated my dictionaries with that latest
definition,
you silly ****[1].

[1] An intelligent and humble person (2018).

The point of LiIon was to supercede / improve on preceding
technology.
In
the case of AA size it failed miserably, as it exceeded capacity by
0%.

Its not surprising that some battery technology
doesn't work as well with some physical batter configs.

So why did anyone try to make that size?

LiIon actually works much better in phones

They work well in power drills too. Much smaller and lighter
battery -
which my neighbour tradesman seems to like.

And laptops.

I remember the NiCad laptops.

I've still got my original somewhere.

Why? It must have about 100th of the power of a modern processor.

I got an old one going that refused to boot up without the battery - the
owner urgently needed files off it. I charged the battery at 3 times
the
correct voltage for several seconds using a high current bench supply,
which broke up the crystallisation which was shorting it internally.
This
allowed it to charge normally in the laptop.

Yeah, I did that quite a bit.

Not sure if that would be wise with LiIon.

Its fine with the protected ones.

But are they really protected? The cheap **** GTL batteries (which have
20% of the rated capacity) I got from China claim to be protected.

Although I prefer a big heavy battery so the thing stays upright when
you place it on a surface. I'd have preferred the same size and
weight
of battery with a bigger capacity,

Not possible to have the same size and
weight, LiIon is very different density wise.

My 18650 LiIon batteries appear about the same weight per volume as my
AA
NiMH.

No they arent

Just measured them and I was almost precisely correct:
Panasonic 18650 3Ah LiIon = 16540mm^3, 42.5g
Uniross Hybrio 2.1Ah NiMH = 7543mm^3, 20g
Weight = x 2.125
Volume = x 2.193

Which also goes to show there's no ****ing way you could get 3 AAs in an
adapter to fit 18650 - even if you could melt them down you'd only fit 2.

and you said the opposite with cordless drills etc.

The cordless drill I picked up had a much smaller battery.

Mind you, I think drills skipped NiMH and went straight from NiCad to
LiIon - did NiMH not have enough current capability?

Nope.

That explains why I managed to set fire to my drill battery case when I
replaced NiCads with NiMH (I couldn't get any NiCad cells).

but I guess that would put the price up.

where the stupid fad is very thin phones.

As an Iphone user I thought you liked thin?

Nope, I like other stuff and would prefer
they were still as thick as say the 4S with
a much longer time between charges.

Its one thing I have always thought was stupid,
the obsession with as thin as possible.

Agreed - I know quite a few folk who moan about their Iphones not
lasting
as long as Samsungs.

Its actually the reverse, iphones go longer between charges.

Then why do you prefer "a much longer time between charges"?

Because it would be even better if you could charge
it every few weeks like I do with the tablet and some
are actually stupid enough to be yacking on the
phone all day every day or watching videos etc.

My 6S which is on all the time and is used for all
phone calls now only needs two charges a week.

Then they must have improved them since I heard complaints.

You just got the story wrong, as always.

Either that or the Samsung owners laugh at them constantly charging them
up.

It's the samsung owners that have to do that.

Not noticed that with mine. I think it lasts 1 week,

But its only a stupidphone, stupid.

but of course it depends how much it's used.

You see it with laptops and keyboards too.

Small thin lightweight stuff is for camping, not everyday use :-)

Its also for mobile phones.

Not in your opinion, as above.

That's just the thin, not the other two, stupid. And my
camping gas stove isnt thin, just small and lightweight.
Same with the airbed and the tent, let alone the jerry cans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 21:39:57 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein, yet another
mentally deficient, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

(plus, to be honest, I've had decades of aging eyes
and hands since the last time I did any soldering)

I KNEW it: just another troll-feeding SENILE idiot! tsk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

where the stupid fad is very thin phones.

As an Iphone user I thought you liked thin?

Nope, I like other stuff and would prefer
they were still as thick as say the 4S with
a much longer time between charges.

Its one thing I have always thought was stupid,
the obsession with as thin as possible.

Agreed - I know quite a few folk who moan about their Iphones not
lasting
as long as Samsungs.

Its actually the reverse, iphones go longer between charges.

Then why do you prefer "a much longer time between charges"?

Because it would be even better if you could charge
it every few weeks like I do with the tablet and some
are actually stupid enough to be yacking on the
phone all day every day or watching videos etc.

Show me a tablet with that life.

My 6S which is on all the time and is used for all
phone calls now only needs two charges a week.

Then they must have improved them since I heard complaints.

You just got the story wrong, as always.

No, I saw them having to charge them while at work.

Either that or the Samsung owners laugh at them constantly charging them
up.

It's the samsung owners that have to do that.

Not noticed that with mine. I think it lasts 1 week,

But its only a stupidphone, stupid.

It's an early smartphone with colour touchscreen.

but of course it depends how much it's used.

You see it with laptops and keyboards too.

Small thin lightweight stuff is for camping, not everyday use :-)

Its also for mobile phones.

Not in your opinion, as above.

That's just the thin, not the other two, stupid.

Thick means less small. Harder to get into your pocket/wallet/whatever.

And my camping gas stove isnt thin, just small and lightweight.
Same with the airbed and the tent, let alone the jerry cans.

An airbed?! If you're carrying it in a rucksack, that's an absurd luxury to have to lug about, most people use a mat. If you're carrying it in the car, it doesn't have to be lightweight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Teenagers and odd folk like you.

And the screen is glass, not plastic, stupid.

That explains why my neighbour keeps breaking hers. They should be plastic.

Same with wireless mice and keyboards.

Those use so little power I just stick alkaline in them.

I do recharge mine. The keyboard has a fixed liIon inside, like a tablet.
The mouse has an AA that I recharge in a charger, with an alternate.

I did that at first then realised they last so long I might aswell use an alkaline. Same goes for wall clocks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default drills, was: Li-Ion batteries

In "Steven Watkins" writes:

It turns out that a local vendor ("Batteries Plus")
can rebuild the battery assembly for about $10,
which is well worth it...

What do you mean by "rebuild the battery assembly"? Put in new cells? Or construct the shell to put them in?

The design is just three cells nose to toe in series, with
soldered connections and wires from top and bottom.

The one at the heel runs alongside the cells to
the top, so to speak, and..

hmm, there might (might...) also be a thin plastic
(think electrical tape/shrink wrap tubing) cover
that circles the area where the cells meet up.

This slides into the handle of the screwdriver.

I had a _lot_ of trouble trying to rebuild one of
these myself. I hate, hate, HATE, "modern" solder.

(plus, to be honest, I've had decades of aging eyes
and hands since the last time I did any soldering)

The folk at the counter there had the nifty high
temperature quickie/instant solder zapper tool

The only problem is in charging them up. Have to
remember to pull the unit off the charger after
just an hour or two, otherwise the batteries fry.

Must be a way to rig up a sensor, or even easier just

use a plug in timer.

The basic charging circuitry is dumb, designed back
for the days of "overnight" at a 0.1C [a] rate.

I foolishly left some on for days at a time way back and
while they probably could have survived just 24 hours,
they got killed by a week online...

And again, I wish I'd have kept the units. Back then
they were $15 or $20 dollars, and I thought they'd
be available forever.

Like with a thousand other tools and products we could
all name, it was a terrific value and worked perfectly,
so they stopped making them.

[a] that's "C" as in charging rate, not "C" as
in speed of light...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 21:39:57 -0000, danny burstein wrote:

In "Steven Watkins" writes:

[...]

I managed to build a new battery for my drill easily enough. And that had 12 cells!

The only problem is in charging them up. Have to
remember to pull the unit off the charger after
just an hour or two, otherwise the batteries fry.

Must be a way to rig up a sensor, or even easier just

use a plug in timer.

The basic charging circuitry is dumb, designed back
for the days of "overnight" at a 0.1C [a] rate.

So why is it now an hour or two?

I foolishly left some on for days at a time way back and
while they probably could have survived just 24 hours,
they got killed by a week online...

Odd, I've had 16 hour chargers left on for a week with no problem. But then those cells were snuggled together to get too hot.

And again, I wish I'd have kept the units. Back then
they were $15 or $20 dollars, and I thought they'd
be available forever.

Like with a thousand other tools and products we could
all name, it was a terrific value and worked perfectly,
so they stopped making them.

I never throw anything away that works, or could be used for parts. If I really really think I won't need it, I give it away, not throw it out.

[a] that's "C" as in charging rate, not "C" as
in speed of light...

0.1 of the speed of light would be quite dangerous for a battery, and also the person it came into contact with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 09:18:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 117 lines of absolutely idiotic troll **** unread again

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 09:30:23 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Nothing like it time wise. And I'm not stupid enough to have wall clocks
anyway.

LOL You are an even bigger asshole than the gay Scottish ******. That much
is sure by now, senile Rot! LOL

--
Java Jive to senile Rot:
You're getting there, it's clear that you've now reached the level of
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:58:41 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

Thick means less small.

Nope, it's the other dimensions that make it small.
Flip phones are thicker and generally smaller.
So was the Nokia N95

Harder to get into your pocket/wallet/whatever.

That mangles the real story too. The thicker and
smaller N95 is in fact easier to put in your pocket
than the bigger and thinner iphone 5.

And my camping gas stove isnt thin, just small and lightweight.
Same with the airbed and the tent, let alone the jerry cans.

An airbed?! If you're carrying it in a rucksack,

There is more than just rucksack camping, stupid.

at's an absurd luxury to have to lug about, most people use a mat.

And plenty have enough of a clue to do camping in a car.

If you're carrying it in the car, it doesn't have to be lightweight.

But small when not inflated is handy stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:33:37 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

Wrong, as always.

And the screen is glass, not plastic, stupid.

That explains why my neighbour keeps breaking hers. They should be
plastic.

Not possible to do touch screens with that capability that way.

Same with wireless mice and keyboards.

Those use so little power I just stick alkaline in them.

I do recharge mine. The keyboard has a fixed liIon inside, like a tablet.
The mouse has an AA that I recharge in a charger, with an alternate.

I did that at first then realised they last so long I might aswell use an
alkaline.

That's stupid. Its easier to recharge than ensure you have more alkalines.

Same goes for wall clocks.

Nothing like it time wise. And I'm not stupid enough to have wall clocks
anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default FLUSH 202 Lines of Sick Idiotic Troll ****!

....and much better air in here again!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 10:50:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH the two abnormal sick idiots' endless sick drivel unread again

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:58:41 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

Argh! You're as stupid as my primary school teacher. She once told me folding clothes makes them smaller. I pointed out the volume remained the same and she said "don't be smart". When I pointed out school was supposed to make us smart, I got detention.

Flip phones are thicker and generally smaller.
So was the Nokia N95

I hated flip phones, they don't still make those do they? I had a habit of snapping the hinge.

Harder to get into your pocket/wallet/whatever.

That mangles the real story too. The thicker and
smaller N95 is in fact easier to put in your pocket
than the bigger and thinner iphone 5.

But larger area means a bigger screen - the thing that annoys me most about phones is how small the screen is. Which is why I hate using them to access the internet. A web page is so much more comfortable on a 19" monitor.

And my camping gas stove isnt thin, just small and lightweight.
Same with the airbed and the tent, let alone the jerry cans.

An airbed?! If you're carrying it in a rucksack,

There is more than just rucksack camping, stupid.

I said IF.

at's an absurd luxury to have to lug about, most people use a mat.

And plenty have enough of a clue to do camping in a car.

Not if you want to camp a long way from the road, for more solitude, or to go somewhere nice which doesn't happen to have roads nearby.

If you're carrying it in the car, it doesn't have to be lightweight.

But small when not inflated is handy stupid.

Not in a car. Loads of room in there unless there's several of you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:33:37 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

I hardly see anyone with tablets. In fact I only know of two people with them.

And the screen is glass, not plastic, stupid.

That explains why my neighbour keeps breaking hers. They should be
plastic.

Not possible to do touch screens with that capability that way.

Er.... my phone is plastic.

Same with wireless mice and keyboards.

Those use so little power I just stick alkaline in them.

I do recharge mine. The keyboard has a fixed liIon inside, like a tablet.
The mouse has an AA that I recharge in a charger, with an alternate.

I did that at first then realised they last so long I might aswell use an
alkaline.

That's stupid. Its easier to recharge than ensure you have more alkalines.

Alkalines come in packs of 10 usually. I just buy another pack when I only have a few left.

Same goes for wall clocks.

Nothing like it time wise.

ROFL! You made a pun.

And actually my clocks use an AA Duracell about twice a year each, my mouse is the same.

And I'm not stupid enough to have wall clocks
anyway.

Handy to be able to see the time just by glancing at one. In fact there's a huge one (3 feet across) to my right, very quick to see on an analogue clock the rough time by the angle of the hour hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 17:14:06 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:58:41 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

We'll see...

She once told me folding clothes makes them smaller.

Irrelevant to smaller thicker phones.

I pointed out the volume remained the same and she said "don't be smart".
When I pointed out school was supposed to make us smart, I got detention.

If it had been me, you would have got a boot in the arse.

Flip phones are thicker and generally smaller.
So was the Nokia N95

I hated flip phones,

Irrelevant to what is being discussed.

they don't still make those do they?

Corse they do.

I had a habit of snapping the hinge.

Yes, you are that stupid.

Harder to get into your pocket/wallet/whatever.

That mangles the real story too. The thicker and
smaller N95 is in fact easier to put in your pocket
than the bigger and thinner iphone 5.

But larger area means a bigger screen

Irrelevant to your silly claim about putting it in your pocket.

- the thing that annoys me most about phones is how small the screen is.

I thought that too when considering whether it would
be viable to use as a kindle, I assumed that the iphone 5
screen would be too small to be useful for reading books
but in fact it works very well indeed when you need the
portability and I do read them on it in the GP surgery
waiting room etc.

Which is why I hate using them to access the internet.

More fool you with the stuff that's optimised for the phone.

A web page is so much more comfortable on a 19" monitor.

Depends on the web page. Works fine for net banking and
aliexpress etc and the classified ads in my local newspaper.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

at's an absurd luxury to have to lug about, most people use a mat.

And plenty have enough of a clue to do camping in a car.

Not if you want to camp a long way from the road, for more solitude,

No problem with using the car for infinite solitude here. Never
ever had anyone show up where I was camping in the car.

or to go somewhere nice which doesn't happen to have roads nearby.

Some of us do plenty of off road driving even
if you lot need a proper sealed road to drive on.

If you're carrying it in the car, it doesn't have to be lightweight.

But small when not inflated is handy stupid.

Not in a car.

Yes, in a car. There was **** all room left in the Beetle
when loaded up with camping gear. Same with the
Golf with a couple of big metal ammunition cases
with most of the stuff in it. Big mortar shell cases.

Add the stove, tent, sleeping bag, esky etc and
there is **** all room left.

Loads of room in there unless there's several of you.

Wrong, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 16:00:46 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:33:37 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

That's because the slum dwellers in
that slum you infest can't afford them.

In fact I only know of two people with them.

I don't know anyone who hasn't got
one but then I don't infest a slum.

And the screen is glass, not plastic, stupid.

That explains why my neighbour keeps breaking hers. They should be
plastic.

Not possible to do touch screens with that capability that way.

Er.... my phone is plastic.

And isnt a smartphone, stupid.

Same with wireless mice and keyboards.

Those use so little power I just stick alkaline in them.

I do recharge mine. The keyboard has a fixed liIon inside, like a
tablet.
The mouse has an AA that I recharge in a charger, with an alternate.

I did that at first then realised they last so long I might aswell use
an
alkaline.

That's stupid. Its easier to recharge than ensure you have more
alkalines.

Alkalines come in packs of 10 usually. I just buy another pack when I
only have a few left.

Makes a lot more sense to charge the spare
when you need to change the battery.

Same goes for wall clocks.

Nothing like it time wise.

ROFL! You made a pun.

Nope.

And actually my clocks use an AA Duracell about twice a year each,

Then they are ****ed.

my mouse is the same.

And I'm not stupid enough to have wall clocks anyway.

Handy to be able to see the time just by glancing at one.

My desktop screen has one, so to the microwaves and the phone.

In fact there's a huge one (3 feet across) to my right, very quick to see
on an analogue clock the rough time by the angle of the hour hand.

Makes much more sense to look at the screen you are typing
on, stupid. And I have alarms that go off at times that matter,
don't need to stare are some stupid clock all the time. And no
need to keep changing the battery either. And it changes auto
on daylight saving too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

In "Steven Watkins" writes:

The basic charging circuitry is dumb, designed back
for the days of "overnight" at a 0.1C [a] rate.

So why is it now an hour or two?

I just use it a bit, and rest a bit...

I foolishly left some on for days at a time way back and
while they probably could have survived just 24 hours,
they got killed by a week online...

Odd, I've had 16 hour chargers left on for a week with no problem. But then those cells were snuggled together to get too hot.

Depends on cell and charger design, and how matched they
are to each other. Lead acid ain'tthe same as NiCad or
NiMh, but they cheaply used the same very dumb
charger, which was then used by a very dumb user...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2018 02:51, danny burstein wrote:
In "Steven Watkins" writes:

The basic charging circuitry is dumb, designed back
for the days of "overnight" at a 0.1C [a] rate.

So why is it now an hour or two?

I just use it a bit, and rest a bit...

I foolishly left some on for days at a time way back and
while they probably could have survived just 24 hours,
they got killed by a week online...

Odd, I've had 16 hour chargers left on for a week with no problem. But then those cells were snuggled together to get too hot.

Depends on cell and charger design, and how matched they
are to each other. Lead acid ain'tthe same as NiCad or
NiMh, but they cheaply used the same very dumb
charger, which was then used by a very dumb user...

No. NiCd and NiMh use totally different charging to lead acid.

Lithium is nearer lead acid in charge requirements than nickle is

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

In The Natural Philosopher writes:

Depends on cell and charger design, and how matched they
are to each other. Lead acid ain'tthe same as NiCad or
NiMh, but they cheaply used the same very dumb
charger, which was then used by a very dumb user...

No. NiCd and NiMh use totally different charging to lead acid.

sorry I wasn't clear. In the progressive _identically labeled
and configured_ units, they had transitioned from lead acid
to NiMh sub-c cells.

(I had picked up about a half dozen over the years. Kept a few
for myself and gave away others as gifts.)

Same dumb charging cord and circuitry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I remember the NiCad laptops. I got an old one going that refused to boot up without the battery - the owner urgently needed files off it. I charged the battery at 3 times the correct voltage for several seconds using a high current bench supply, which broke up the crystallisation which was shorting it internally. This allowed it to charge normally in the laptop. Not sure if that would be wise with LiIon.

Although I prefer a big heavy battery so the thing stays upright when you
place it on a surface. I'd have preferred the same size and weight of
battery with a bigger capacity,

Not possible to have the same size and
weight, LiIon is very different density wise.

My 18650 LiIon batteries appear about the same weight per volume as my AA NiMH. Mind you, I think drills skipped NiMH and went straight from NiCad to LiIon - did NiMH not have enough current capability?

Nope. I've had several drills with NiMh. Like the NiCads they were
always dead when I needed them, but they did come back to life on the
charger for a few years.
Gone all Lithium now. The little 3 cell (18500?) 12 volt runs as long
as the big ugly 12 volt Nicad 9 cell? unit 3 times or more it's weight
and size - and the Lithium charged 4-8 times as fast too. I've got
the little Canadian Tie special 12 volt as well as a Bosch and a
Millwaukee. I'll never go back to non-lithium cordless tools. The
lithium is ready to go even after sittin half a year.

Same with laptops. Darn NiMh and Nicad crap was always dead when
needed. Lithiums are generally still fine 3-6 months after charging
and last 6 or more years instead of replacing NiMh adter as little as
2 years of use (many while still under warranty)

but I guess that would put the price up.

where the stupid fad is very thin phones.

As an Iphone user I thought you liked thin?

Nope, I like other stuff and would prefer
they were still as thick as say the 4S with
a much longer time between charges.

Its one thing I have always thought was stupid,
the obsession with as thin as possible.

Agreed - I know quite a few folk who moan about their Iphones not lasting as long as Samsungs. Either that or the Samsung owners laugh at them constantly charging them up.

You see it with laptops and keyboards too.

Small thin lightweight stuff is for camping, not everyday use :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Steven Watkins wrote

Why was the AA LiIon size ever invented if it's no good?

Because its one of the most common battery sizes.

But due to it's differing voltage, it was never intended as a direct
replacement, but to power new devices that wanted more voltage, such as
LED torches.

But some arent idea with 18650. There are in fact one
hell of a range of LiIon cells of various sizes and if it
wasn't for the problem that LiIon doesn't work well
in the smaller diameter cells, it does make sense to
use an existing very common cell size.

But that problem is significant. And a single 18650 fits very well into a pocket torch or anything else I can think of except a mobile phone.

3.7 volt AA batteries would be a nightmare. There arer "standards"
for a reason.

Just like the insane "direct wire" LED tubes that fit the same
tombstones as the "direct fit" and flourescent tubes that need the
ballast. - but are rewired directly to line voltage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 02:51:07 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein, yet another
mentally deficient, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Odd, I've had 16 hour chargers left on for a week with no problem. But
then those cells were snuggled together to get too hot.

Depends on cell and charger design, and how matched they
are to each other. Lead acid ain'tthe same as NiCad or
NiMh, but they cheaply used the same very dumb
charger, which was then used by a very dumb user...

ANOTHER senile idiot who is THANKFUL that the village idiot of all these
groups keeps asking retarded questions and making retarded statements! BG

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile YANKIETARD Alert!

On Sun, 04 Nov 2018 00:17:51 -0400, Clare Snyder, the braindead,
troll-feeding senile Yankietard, babbled again:

My 18650 LiIon batteries appear about the same weight per volume as my
AA NiMH. Mind you, I think drills skipped NiMH and went straight from
NiCad to LiIon - did NiMH not have enough current capability?

Nope. I've had several drills with NiMh. Like the NiCads they were

The gay Scottish ******, attention whore and troll asks, and the senile
lonely Yankietard instantly delivers, EVERY TIME! I wonder why Trump hasn't
yet recognized the senile-Yanks-problem in the US that OBVIOUSLY exists!
BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Nov 2018 00:30:49 -0400, Clare Snyder, the braindead,
troll-feeding senile Yankietard, babbled again:

But that problem is significant. And a single 18650 fits very well into
a pocket torch or anything else I can think of except a mobile phone.

3.7 volt AA batteries would be a nightmare. There arer "standards"
for a reason.

NOT for a SOCIOPATH, you braindead Yankie asshole! tsk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 21:02:36 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 17:14:06 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:58:41 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

It's very relevant. Smaller refers to volume, not area. For example, a double decker bus is larger than a single decker, even though when viewed from above we can see it takes up precisely the same road space.

I pointed out the volume remained the same and she said "don't be smart".
When I pointed out school was supposed to make us smart, I got detention.

If it had been me, you would have got a boot in the arse.

I frequently got my hand struck with a ruler. Quite why she thought that was painful I don't know. It hurt less than a nettle sting.

Flip phones are thicker and generally smaller.
So was the Nokia N95

I hated flip phones,

Irrelevant to what is being discussed.

You sound like a robot.

they don't still make those do they?

Corse they do.

Why? They're rubbish.

Anyway I've not seen one for years. They're all the same as Iphones. A single block with a touch screen and little or no buttons.

I had a habit of snapping the hinge.

Yes, you are that stupid.

Just clumsy, as are a lot of people.

Harder to get into your pocket/wallet/whatever.

That mangles the real story too. The thicker and
smaller N95 is in fact easier to put in your pocket
than the bigger and thinner iphone 5.

But larger area means a bigger screen

Irrelevant to your silly claim about putting it in your pocket.

Depends on the design of your pocket it if limits by thickness or area.

- the thing that annoys me most about phones is how small the screen is.

I thought that too when considering whether it would
be viable to use as a kindle, I assumed that the iphone 5
screen would be too small to be useful for reading books
but in fact it works very well indeed when you need the
portability and I do read them on it in the GP surgery
waiting room etc.

If you're just reading text perhaps it's ok, but using a webpage really needs a lot of area. Just try filling in a booking form for a flight etc.

Which is why I hate using them to access the internet.

More fool you with the stuff that's optimised for the phone.

It's not optimised, it's compromised.

A web page is so much more comfortable on a 19" monitor.

Depends on the web page. Works fine for net banking and
aliexpress etc and the classified ads in my local newspaper.

How can you use the internet comfortably with so little displayed at once? I even find a 14" monitor cramped.

And my camping gas stove isnt thin, just small and lightweight. Same
with the airbed and the tent, let alone the jerry cans.

An airbed?! If you're carrying it in a rucksack,

There is more than just rucksack camping, stupid.

I said IF.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Do you not understand "if"? I didn't know if you camp with a car or not, so I gave two alternatives, neither of which need a lightweight airbed.

at's an absurd luxury to have to lug about, most people use a mat.

And plenty have enough of a clue to do camping in a car.

Not if you want to camp a long way from the road, for more solitude,

No problem with using the car for infinite solitude here. Never
ever had anyone show up where I was camping in the car.

Australia is different. You have a more sensible population density.

or to go somewhere nice which doesn't happen to have roads nearby.

Some of us do plenty of off road driving even
if you lot need a proper sealed road to drive on.

If you go offroad in Scotland you end up needing something that will climb at a 45 degree angle through deep mud and over huge boulders.

If you're carrying it in the car, it doesn't have to be lightweight.

But small when not inflated is handy stupid.

Not in a car.

Yes, in a car. There was **** all room left in the Beetle
when loaded up with camping gear.

Just yourself or several friends? One person cannot need more than a carfull.

Same with the
Golf with a couple of big metal ammunition cases
with most of the stuff in it. Big mortar shell cases.

Why did you need all that?

Add the stove, tent, sleeping bag, esky etc and
there is **** all room left.

Yet people somehow manage to go camping with what they can carry on their backs. I think you need a ****ing caravan you lazy snob.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 21:02:36 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 17:14:06 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message
news On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:58:41 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

Wrong with phones.

For example, a double decker bus is larger than a single decker, even
though when viewed from above we can see it takes up precisely the same
road space.

Even you should have noticed that a phone isnt a bus.

I pointed out the volume remained the same and she said "don't be
smart".
When I pointed out school was supposed to make us smart, I got
detention.

If it had been me, you would have got a boot in the arse.

I frequently got my hand struck with a ruler.

You should have got a boot in the arse.

Quite why she thought that was painful I don't know. It hurt less than a
nettle sting.

Flip phones are thicker and generally smaller.
So was the Nokia N95

I hated flip phones,

Irrelevant to what is being discussed.

You sound like a robot.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

they don't still make those do they?

Corse they do.

Why?

Because some prefer them, stupid.

They're rubbish.

Wrong, as always.

Anyway I've not seen one for years.

Yes, they arent as popular as decent touch screen smartphones.

They're all the same as Iphones. A single block with a touch screen and
little or no buttons.

Because that allows you to do a lot more.

I had a habit of snapping the hinge.

Yes, you are that stupid.

Just clumsy, as are a lot of people.

Perfectly possible to design one that even clumsy
people don't break.

Harder to get into your pocket/wallet/whatever.

That mangles the real story too. The thicker and
smaller N95 is in fact easier to put in your pocket
than the bigger and thinner iphone 5.

But larger area means a bigger screen

Irrelevant to your silly claim about putting it in your pocket.

Depends on the design of your pocket it if limits by thickness or area.

No pocket in normal jeans or trousers or shorts limit by thickness.
They all limit by area.

- the thing that annoys me most about phones is how small the screen is.

I thought that too when considering whether it would
be viable to use as a kindle, I assumed that the iphone 5
screen would be too small to be useful for reading books
but in fact it works very well indeed when you need the
portability and I do read them on it in the GP surgery
waiting room etc.

If you're just reading text perhaps it's ok,

No perhaps about it.

but using a webpage really needs a lot of area.

BULL****.

Just try filling in a booking form for a flight etc.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.
Any decent booking app on a smartphone works fine.

Which is why I hate using them to access the internet.

More fool you with the stuff that's optimised for the phone.

It's not optimised, it's compromised.

Wrong, as always. Its optimised to have one field per screen so even
a terminal ****wit such as yourself can use it if someone is actually
stupid enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

A web page is so much more comfortable on a 19" monitor.

Depends on the web page. Works fine for net banking and
aliexpress etc and the classified ads in my local newspaper.

How can you use the internet comfortably with so little displayed at once?

You spin thru the items on offer in stuff like aliexpress,
the facebook buy swap sell groups and ebay and amazon.

I even find a 14" monitor cramped.

Yes, you actually are that stupid.

And my camping gas stove isnt thin, just small and lightweight. Same
with the airbed and the tent, let alone the jerry cans.

An airbed?! If you're carrying it in a rucksack,

There is more than just rucksack camping, stupid.

I said IF.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Do you not understand "if"?

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

I didn't know if you camp with a car or not,

So you stupidly started rabbiting on about backpacks.

so I gave two alternatives,

Like hell you did initially.

neither of which need a lightweight airbed.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

at's an absurd luxury to have to lug about, most people use a mat.

And plenty have enough of a clue to do camping in a car.

Not if you want to camp a long way from the road, for more solitude,

No problem with using the car for infinite solitude here. Never
ever had anyone show up where I was camping in the car.

Australia is different.

Plenty do car camping in that soggy little frigid island.

You have a more sensible population density.

or to go somewhere nice which doesn't happen to have roads nearby.

Some of us do plenty of off road driving even
if you lot need a proper sealed road to drive on.

If you go offroad in Scotland you end up needing something that will climb
at a 45 degree angle through deep mud and over huge boulders.

BULL****.

If you're carrying it in the car, it doesn't have to be lightweight.

But small when not inflated is handy stupid.

Not in a car.

Yes, in a car. There was **** all room left in the Beetle
when loaded up with camping gear.

Just yourself or several friends?

You cant do several friends and the
camping gear in a Beetle, stupid.

One person cannot need more than a carfull.

Never said they did, but it works a hell of a lot better with
an airbed than any other sort of bed with a beetle, stupid.

Same with the Golf with a couple of big metal ammunition cases with most
of the stuff in it. Big mortar shell cases.

Why did you need all that?

Gotta have somewhere to put the stuff you cook
with, the ingredients, the plates and glasses etc
etc etc. And it works a lot better to put the
camping gas stove on one and sit on the
other instead of having a folding table etc.

Add the stove, tent, sleeping bag, esky etc and
there is **** all room left.

Yet people somehow manage to go camping with what they can carry on their
backs.

Much more primitively. **** that. When
I do it, its for weeks, not just overnight.

I think you need a ****ing caravan you lazy snob.

That's not camping, ****wit. And me and mate
lived in one of those for months when working
in the Snowy many miles from anywhere.
https://goo.gl/maps/Bvd9RTGXKvQ2

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default FLUSH 345 Lines of Endless Sick Troll ****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."