Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Li-Ion batteries

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 17:14:06 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:58:41 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 23:56:12 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in
message
news On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 22:12:24 -0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

On 02/11/2018 21:53, Steven Watkins wrote:
On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 21:34:53 -0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

On 02/11/2018 18:40, Steven Watkins wrote:
On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 16:53:15 -0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

On 02/11/2018 14:58, Steven Watkins wrote:

snipped

I purchased some torches with 14500s claimed to be 2400mAh
which
didn't believe. I doubt that they were even close to
850/900mAh
as
fully
charged they didn't last long in the torch. Replacement
900mAh
batteries
lasted much longer.

I have some GTL batteries (also called GIF) (Chinese ****)
that
say
2500. I tested them (bulb, ammeter) and got 500. Official
tests
I've
found on websites agree. Got them free, I moaned at the
seller
and
got
all the money back.

Decent makes like Efest, Sony, Sanyo are all quoted as 850 and
reviews
say you really get that. But 850 is pitiful, as NiMH gives
2700.

About the same energy, given that the lithium cells are about
three
times the voltage of the NiMH.

But if you consider a Panasonic 18500, at 3Ah and 3.7V, it's
twice
the
energy per volume. They just don't seem to get the higher
charge
density in the smaller AA size.

ITYM "Thanks, I'd overlooked that, and 'pitiful' was clearly
wrong".

No, by pitiful I meant "no better than the preceding technology".

OK, thanks. I've updated my dictionaries with that latest
definition,
you silly ****[1].

[1] An intelligent and humble person (2018).

The point of LiIon was to supercede / improve on preceding
technology.
In
the case of AA size it failed miserably, as it exceeded capacity by
0%.

Its not surprising that some battery technology
doesn't work as well with some physical batter configs.

So why did anyone try to make that size?

LiIon actually works much better in phones

They work well in power drills too. Much smaller and lighter
battery -
which my neighbour tradesman seems to like.

And laptops.

I remember the NiCad laptops.

I've still got my original somewhere.

Why? It must have about 100th of the power of a modern processor.

I got an old one going that refused to boot up without the battery - the
owner urgently needed files off it. I charged the battery at 3 times
the
correct voltage for several seconds using a high current bench supply,
which broke up the crystallisation which was shorting it internally.
This
allowed it to charge normally in the laptop.

Yeah, I did that quite a bit.

Not sure if that would be wise with LiIon.

Its fine with the protected ones.

But are they really protected? The cheap **** GTL batteries (which have
20% of the rated capacity) I got from China claim to be protected.

Although I prefer a big heavy battery so the thing stays upright when
you place it on a surface. I'd have preferred the same size and
weight
of battery with a bigger capacity,

Not possible to have the same size and
weight, LiIon is very different density wise.

My 18650 LiIon batteries appear about the same weight per volume as my
AA
NiMH.

No they arent

Just measured them and I was almost precisely correct:
Panasonic 18650 3Ah LiIon = 16540mm^3, 42.5g
Uniross Hybrio 2.1Ah NiMH = 7543mm^3, 20g
Weight = x 2.125
Volume = x 2.193

Which also goes to show there's no ****ing way you could get 3 AAs in an
adapter to fit 18650 - even if you could melt them down you'd only fit 2.

and you said the opposite with cordless drills etc.

The cordless drill I picked up had a much smaller battery.

Mind you, I think drills skipped NiMH and went straight from NiCad to
LiIon - did NiMH not have enough current capability?

Nope.

That explains why I managed to set fire to my drill battery case when I
replaced NiCads with NiMH (I couldn't get any NiCad cells).

but I guess that would put the price up.

where the stupid fad is very thin phones.

As an Iphone user I thought you liked thin?

Nope, I like other stuff and would prefer
they were still as thick as say the 4S with
a much longer time between charges.

Its one thing I have always thought was stupid,
the obsession with as thin as possible.

Agreed - I know quite a few folk who moan about their Iphones not
lasting
as long as Samsungs.

Its actually the reverse, iphones go longer between charges.

Then why do you prefer "a much longer time between charges"?

Because it would be even better if you could charge
it every few weeks like I do with the tablet and some
are actually stupid enough to be yacking on the
phone all day every day or watching videos etc.

My 6S which is on all the time and is used for all
phone calls now only needs two charges a week.

Then they must have improved them since I heard complaints.

You just got the story wrong, as always.

Either that or the Samsung owners laugh at them constantly charging them
up.

It's the samsung owners that have to do that.

Not noticed that with mine. I think it lasts 1 week,

But its only a stupidphone, stupid.

but of course it depends how much it's used.

You see it with laptops and keyboards too.

Small thin lightweight stuff is for camping, not everyday use :-)

Its also for mobile phones.

Not in your opinion, as above.

That's just the thin, not the other two, stupid. And my
camping gas stove isnt thin, just small and lightweight.
Same with the airbed and the tent, let alone the jerry cans.