Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Default emergency milk

I'm not sure which ng to ask this question in, but it's related to homes
but not to repair and it's related to food but not to cooking.

I use Costco milk and cream (the real stuff, 100% stuff, not the watered
down stuff) for my ice cream and coffee.

I live a score of miles from the nearest grocery store (other than a 7-11
gas station complex about a dozen miles away at a highway exit), which
makes a round trip for milk an hour in transit (there's generally no
traffic unless there's an accident).

For emergencies for the milk for ice cream and coffee, I have resorted to
canned milk (both types) but they change the flavor too much (they're not
really milk at all, it seems).

Then someone suggested "powdered milk", which I went to the grocery store
to buy, only to my horror to find that it's far more expensive than fresh
milk! (About $18 for 20 quarts worth of the powder.)

Normally the "crap" solution is the cheapest, where I was in for a shock
that the price for that crap powdered milk solution is more than twice the
price for the fresh milk solution.

Why?

Do you find the same price disparity where you live?
Is there any other "emergency milk" solution out there?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/25/18 9:43 PM, Carlos Eduardo Vieira wrote:
[...]

Do you have space to keep a cow ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2018 07:43 PM, Carlos Eduardo Vieira wrote:
Then someone suggested "powdered milk", which I went to the grocery store
to buy, only to my horror to find that it's far more expensive than fresh
milk! (About $18 for 20 quarts worth of the powder.)

Normally the "crap" solution is the cheapest, where I was in for a shock
that the price for that crap powdered milk solution is more than twice the
price for the fresh milk solution.

Why?

Do you find the same price disparity where you live?
Is there any other "emergency milk" solution out there?

No, 2 quarts of fresh milk here is $2 for the cheapest store brand.
Powdered isn't much cheaper but it is not more expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2018 9:43 PM, Carlos Eduardo Vieira wrote:

For emergencies for the milk for ice cream and coffee, I have resorted to
canned milk (both types) but they change the flavor too much (they're not
really milk at all, it seems).

Then someone suggested "powdered milk", which I went to the grocery store
to buy, only to my horror to find that it's far more expensive than fresh
milk! (About $18 for 20 quarts worth of the powder.)

Normally the "crap" solution is the cheapest, where I was in for a shock
that the price for that crap powdered milk solution is more than twice the
price for the fresh milk solution.

Why?

Do you find the same price disparity where you live?
Is there any other "emergency milk" solution out there?

Whole milk is processed quickly and bottled in volume at large plant.
Powdered and canned do not have the same volume and require more
processing time, energy to dry and heat.

You can freeze milk but it will affect the texture.

We use very little milk. usually buy a quart for $1.19 at the
supermarket. Monday I happened to be in WalMart so I figured I'd get it
there. The do not carry quarts, but a half gallon there was only 80 cents.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 22:43:37 -0300, Carlos Eduardo Vieira
wrote:

[...]

My mom used to feed us milk from powder in the 50's. It was cheaper, and I didn't like it,
but it wasn't as bad when ice cold, and I guess it had the same nutritional value as milk.
I think it was for about a year, and probably due to high milk prices.
I only pay 2 bucks for a gallon of whole milk, so wouldn't even consider it now.
This one has decent reviews on Amazon, but it's still about 4 bucks a gallon.
https://tinyurl.com/y7esaj58

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2018 09:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
We use very little milk. usually buy a quart for $1.19 at the
supermarket. Monday I happened to be in WalMart so I figured I'd get it
there. The do not carry quarts, but a half gallon there was only 80 cents.

I didn't know the Chinese were into milking cows...

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/dybretail.pdf

Advertised Prices for Dairy Products at Major Retail Supermarket Outlets
ending during the period of 10/19/2018 to 10/25/2018

The national weighted average advertised price for conventional milk
half gallons is $2.37

Is Walmart's milk like their meat -- 20% water added to enhance the
flavor? I recall a First Communion primer illustrated adultery as a man
in a mask pouring water into a milk can. I guess for that age group it
was better than discussing the sex habits of presidents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2018 10:27 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
My mom used to feed us milk from powder in the 50's. It was cheaper, and I didn't like it,
but it wasn't as bad when ice cold, and I guess it had the same nutritional value as milk.
I think it was for about a year, and probably due to high milk prices.
I only pay 2 bucks for a gallon of whole milk, so wouldn't even consider it now.
This one has decent reviews on Amazon, but it's still about 4 bucks a gallon.

I live in the wrong place. 80 cents a half gallon, $2 for a gallon...
The USDA says the national weighted average advertised price for
conventional milk half gallons is $2.37 this week so I guess I'm lucky
to pay $1.98 a half gallon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

In article ,
[...]

UHT, ultra high temperature, pasteurized milk.
Sold in a box container, but whole and non-fat varieties.
Does not need refrigeration until opened.
Might be hard to find--last seen at the dollar store.
Tastes far better than reconstituted powder milk, but not quite as good as fresh.

Dietitian made us switch to almond milk. More expensive than dairy milk, but with a substantially longer shelt life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 26 Oct 2018 07:12:12 -0000 (UTC),
(Fake ID) wrote:

In article ,
[...]

There was another name for that, also, ???, but it seems to have faded
away and your name is all that I can find. Requires no refrigeration.

I've had canned condensed milk and powdered milk once or twice. I was
amazed at how little they tasted like milk.

Can't you just get your milkman to leave both milk and cream?

Sold in a box container, but whole and non-fat varieties.
Does not need refrigeration until opened.
Might be hard to find--last seen at the dollar store.
Tastes far better than reconstituted powder milk, but not quite as good as fresh.

Dietitian made us switch to almond milk. More expensive than dairy milk, but with a substantially longer shelt life.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 25-Oct-2018, Carlos Eduardo Vieira
wrote:

Then someone suggested "powdered milk", which I went to the grocery store
to buy, only to my horror to find that it's far more expensive than fresh
milk! (About $18 for 20 quarts worth of the powder.)

Normally the "crap" solution is the cheapest, where I was in for a shock
that the price for that crap powdered milk solution is more than twice the
price for the fresh milk solution.

Why?

Do you find the same price disparity where you live?
Is there any other "emergency milk" solution out there?

I buy Saco Mix 'n Drink powdered milk for "emergency supply"; it is $3.99
for 3, one-quart packs at the supermarket I shop. Given it is non-fat, I
can't see it being used for ice cream; but, for most uses I find it quite
good. It doesn't have the strong caramel back-note that most canned or
powdered milk products do - there's some, but not as strong as in other
products.

==

We don't drink milk so I keep dried in.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/266258950

It is excellent for my purposes. I see it is fine to feel infants over 12
months so can't be bad

Might be worth a try?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

It is excellent for my purposes. I see it is fine to feel infants over 12
months so can't be bad

Might be worth a try?
============

OMG It is fine to FEED infants - before the sick mob get stuck
in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

In article , carlosvieiraeduardo0
@starone.com.br says...

I'm not sure which ng to ask this question in, but it's related to homes
but not to repair and it's related to food but not to cooking.

I use Costco milk and cream (the real stuff, 100% stuff, not the watered
down stuff) for my ice cream and coffee.

I live a score of miles from the nearest grocery store (other than a 7-11
gas station complex about a dozen miles away at a highway exit), which
makes a round trip for milk an hour in transit (there's generally no
traffic unless there's an accident).

You surely don't drive 40 miles just for milk? Get milk while buying
other food supplies. Refrigerated milk stays fresh for a week.

For emergencies for the milk for ice cream and coffee, I have resorted to
canned milk (both types) but they change the flavor too much (they're not
really milk at all, it seems).

Then someone suggested "powdered milk", which I went to the grocery store
to buy, only to my horror to find that it's far more expensive than fresh
milk! (About $18 for 20 quarts worth of the powder.)

Normally the "crap" solution is the cheapest, where I was in for a shock
that the price for that crap powdered milk solution is more than twice the
price for the fresh milk solution.

Why?

Cost of processing, and volume of wet milk required.

Do you find the same price disparity where you live?
Is there any other "emergency milk" solution out there?

UHT longlife milk. Still tastes different from fresh, but better than
canned or dried. It's wet milk and a sealed pack keeps for 6 months,
unrefrigerated.

Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2018 9:43 PM, Carlos Eduardo Vieira wrote:

Then someone suggested "powdered milk", which I went to the grocery store
to buy, only to my horror to find that it's far more expensive than fresh
milk! (About $18 for 20 quarts worth of the powder.)

Normally the "crap" solution is the cheapest, where I was in for a shock
that the price for that crap powdered milk solution is more than twice the
price for the fresh milk solution.

Why?

It takes a lot more milk to reduce it to a powder, however it is they
do it. Evaporation, for starters.

Do you find the same price disparity where you live?
Is there any other "emergency milk" solution out there?

I did look at the price of powdered milk once, don't know why because
I loathe the stuff, but it was quite pricey.

People freeze milk, then shake it once it thaws, I've never tried
that, myself.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:

I did look at the price of powdered milk once, don't know why because
I loathe the stuff, but it was quite pricey.

I tried a teaspoon of it (the powder) in coffee one morning.
Thought it might do like the powdered Coffee Mate. No. It wasn't
good at all. You need to rehydrate it first before using in
coffee.

People freeze milk, then shake it once it thaws, I've never tried
that, myself.

I buy half gallons mainly for morning coffee and occasional
cooking. First thing I do when I buy a new one is to freeze a few
small containers (6-8oz) just for emergency coffee milk in case
my main bottle starts to go off before I get to the grocery
store. It's fine for that use and probably for cooking too.

I've even added a TBS of vanilla ice cream to coffee for
emergency dairy a few times. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Default powedered milk, was: emergency milk

Nancy Young wrote:

I did look at the price of powdered milk once, don't know why because
I loathe the stuff, but it was quite pricey.

Back when I was a widdle wun (the 1960's), powdered milk
was about 1/2 the price of regular.

We'd (or rather my parents) would add it to macaroni and
cheese and it was ok for that.

About a decade ago I priced it at the market and saw, like
you did, that it's more expensive.

I have absolutely no idea why and how this was and is
the case. There's so much gov't price fixing and support
in milk pricing that there's plenty of questions
involved...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 4:56:24 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 26 Oct 2018 07:12:12 -0000 (UTC),
(Fake ID) wrote:

In article ,
[...]

TetraPack is what I always called all those liquid products that are sold
in what looks like a fancy cardboard box. It hasn't faded away, it's
readily available in the supermarkets here, including milk. It would be
my solution if I wanted milk on the shelf for an emergency, when I run out.
Now that I think about it, wish they made half-n-half in TetraPack, I'd
keep it on hand. If anyone does, I haven't seen it, but then I haven't
really gone looking for it either. I will now.

I see the TetraPacks for milk, juice, soups, tomato juice, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2018 10:00 AM, danny burstein wrote:
Nancy Young wrote:

I did look at the price of powdered milk once, don't know why because
I loathe the stuff, but it was quite pricey.

Back when I was a widdle wun (the 1960's), powdered milk
was about 1/2 the price of regular.

We'd (or rather my parents) would add it to macaroni and
cheese and it was ok for that.

When we ran out of milk, my mother would occasionally whip up
some powdered milk. We all hated it so she didn't bother too
often.

About a decade ago I priced it at the market and saw, like
you did, that it's more expensive.

I have absolutely no idea why and how this was and is
the case. There's so much gov't price fixing and support
in milk pricing that there's plenty of questions
involved..

I figure do the math and see how much milk it would make when
reconstituted. In the end it's probably quite a bit cheaper
than fresh milk.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

In Nancy Young writes:

About a decade ago I priced it at the market and saw, like
you did, that it's more expensive.

I have absolutely no idea why and how this was and is
the case. There's so much gov't price fixing and support
in milk pricing that there's plenty of questions
involved..

I figure do the math and see how much milk it would make when
reconstituted. In the end it's probably quite a bit cheaper
than fresh milk.

You'd think so, and again, that was the case
a, err, well, half century ago.

But no more. The powdered milk, per quart equivalent,
is more expensive nowadays.

(At least in the multiple areas I've checked. Given
the very convulted price fixing, etc., there might
be sections of the country which are different).

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

[...]

You've led some kind of over-sheltered life if your idea of an emergency
is running out of milk ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:

[...]

He already did the math, it's $3+ a gallon to use powdered. That's
just a little more than regular make, based on what milk costs here.
Poster didn't say where he lives, but in the USA paying that small premium
for a dry product that saves a long trip sounds like an OK solution
to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2018 4:56 AM, micky wrote:

Can't you just get your milkman to leave both milk and cream?

Sure, just turn the clock back to 1966. That's the last time I saw a
milkman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 12:39:43 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/26/2018 4:56 AM, micky wrote:

Can't you just get your milkman to leave both milk and cream?

Sure, just turn the clock back to 1966. That's the last time I saw a
milkman.

My mother has milk and other dairy products delivered. Detroit suburbs.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 10/26/2018 4:56 AM, micky wrote:

Can't you just get your milkman to leave both milk and cream?

Sure, just turn the clock back to 1966. That's the last time I saw a
milkman.

===

WE are going to have one!!! Strutt!!! In glass bottles
too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there any other "emergency milk" solution out there?

Primeiro defina a "emergencia".
Ai talvez alguem possa ajudar ...
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 14:00:52 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:

I did look at the price of powdered milk once, don't know why because
I loathe the stuff, but it was quite pricey.

Back when I was a widdle wun (the 1960's), powdered milk
was about 1/2 the price of regular.

We'd (or rather my parents) would add it to macaroni and
cheese and it was ok for that.

About a decade ago I priced it at the market and saw, like
you did, that it's more expensive.

I have absolutely no idea why and how this was and is
the case. There's so much gov't price fixing and support
in milk pricing that there's plenty of questions
involved...

Reagan gave tons of it away during the "government cheese" days.
(actually far more than just cheese) Maybe that is when they decided
they could charge more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

I live in the wrong place. 80 cents a half gallon, $2 for a gallon...

Uh, is this correct?

In PA milk is price controlled. I can never figure out why gasoline is
cheaper than milk...

--
Tekkie
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/26/18 11:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/26/2018 4:56 AM, micky wrote:

Can't you just get your milkman to leave both milk and cream?

Sure, just turn the clock back to 1966.Â* That's the last time I saw a
milkman.

When my parents bought a house in 1969 there was a milk delivery service
we tried for awhile, although the milk was frequently sour.

Then my mother got powdered milk for awhile, to save money. It tasted
terrible.

UHT milk is something I've tried recently. Better than powdered, but not
very good.

--
60 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Everything has a natural explanation. The moon is not a god but a great
rock and the sun a hot rock." [Anaxagorus, ca. 475 BC]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/18 9:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

TetraPack is what I always called all those liquid products that are sold
in what looks like a fancy cardboard box. It hasn't faded away, it's
readily available in the supermarkets here, including milk. It would be
my solution if I wanted milk on the shelf for an emergency, when I run out.
Now that I think about it, wish they made half-n-half in TetraPack, I'd
keep it on hand. If anyone does, I haven't seen it, but then I haven't
really gone looking for it either. I will now.

I see the TetraPacks for milk, juice, soups, tomato juice, etc.

I've seen hash brown potatoes in one of those. From a distance it looks
like a pint of milk. It sort of reminds me of the milk they had in
school (although those were half-pints, shorter cartons).

BTW, those cartons (school milk) were marked "homo milk". I was not
familiar with that, since we had low-fat at home. I didn't know any use
of "homo" then, so thought it was probably an advertisement "milk like
you should be getting at home".

--
60 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Everything has a natural explanation. The moon is not a god but a great
rock and the sun a hot rock." [Anaxagorus, ca. 475 BC]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 13:32:35 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[...]

I think the world market is driving up the price of powdered milk
since we are competing against countries like Canada and New Zealand.
They already complain that we are "dumping" even at the current
prices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"Carlos Eduardo Vieira" wrote in
message news
[...]

Powdered milk is always more expensive. I do buy it. Not much. Then again, I
don't use much milk ever. You can also get shelf stable in a box, Dollar
Tree sells it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

Not all Walmart meat is that way. They have been selling grass fed beef,
organic and non-organic for some time now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We had that too, most of the time. It was cheaper back then. It's not now.
Not here anyway. I've always hated to drink milk but the powdered was really
yucky. I don't mind using it in cooking though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2018 05:30 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

Okay. I haven't been in a Walmart this year iirc. It's my store of last
resort if I can't find an item locally. Even then it's usually a brief
stop on the way to Amazon. The few times I wandered to the grocery
section I wasn't impressed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

If you are buying packaged and canned food, Walmart is OK. You might
even save a few cents but the meat and produce seems to suck.
I buy car/boat batteries at Walmart and dog treats, maybe something
from the garden center. That is about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2018 05:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
We had that too, most of the time. It was cheaper back then. It's not
now. Not here anyway. I've always hated to drink milk but the powdered
was really yucky. I don't mind using it in cooking though.

Back in the day I used it to make yogurt from a recipe gleaned from the
Whole Earth Catalog. It wasn't bad but I doubt it would be worthwhile
now when everybody and their cousin is making yogurt and one brand or
the other is always on sale.

http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/tip...red-milk-ever/

That's the best one I found. It wasn't cheap and it was off the market
for a while.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 26 Oct 2018 07:12:12 -0000 (UTC),
(Fake ID) wrote:

In article ,
[...]

I would venture to guess most places no longer have a milkman. We still have
one here. The problem is, they have a minimum order and even though they do
deliver other goods as well, we just didn't need enough of what they sold.
Some of what they sell costs more than I'm willing to spend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 10/26/2018 4:56 AM, micky wrote:

Can't you just get your milkman to leave both milk and cream?

Sure, just turn the clock back to 1966. That's the last time I saw a
milkman.

Oops. Sent blank post. We have them here.

https://www.smithbrothersfarms.com/