Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default powedered milk, was: emergency milk

On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 10:32:47 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
On 10/26/2018 10:00 AM, danny burstein wrote:
Nancy Young wrote:

I did look at the price of powdered milk once, don't know why because
I loathe the stuff, but it was quite pricey.

Back when I was a widdle wun (the 1960's), powdered milk
was about 1/2 the price of regular.

We'd (or rather my parents) would add it to macaroni and
cheese and it was ok for that.

When we ran out of milk, my mother would occasionally whip up
some powdered milk. We all hated it so she didn't bother too
often.

About a decade ago I priced it at the market and saw, like
you did, that it's more expensive.

I have absolutely no idea why and how this was and is
the case. There's so much gov't price fixing and support
in milk pricing that there's plenty of questions
involved..

I figure do the math and see how much milk it would make when
reconstituted. In the end it's probably quite a bit cheaper
than fresh milk.

nancy

He already did the math, it's $3+ a gallon to use powdered. That's
just a little more than regular make, based on what milk costs here.
Poster didn't say where he lives, but in the USA paying that small premium
for a dry product that saves a long trip sounds like an OK solution
to me.