Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair
danny burstein danny burstein is offline

Default powedered milk, was: emergency milk

In Nancy Young writes:

About a decade ago I priced it at the market and saw, like
you did, that it's more expensive.

I have absolutely no idea why and how this was and is
the case. There's so much gov't price fixing and support
in milk pricing that there's plenty of questions
involved..

I figure do the math and see how much milk it would make when
reconstituted. In the end it's probably quite a bit cheaper
than fresh milk.

You'd think so, and again, that was the case
a, err, well, half century ago.

But no more. The powdered milk, per quart equivalent,
is more expensive nowadays.

(At least in the multiple areas I've checked. Given
the very convulted price fixing, etc., there might
be sections of the country which are different).